headphone advertising
Feb 24, 2006 at 6:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

granodemostasa

Headphoneus Supremus
I've seen alot of disgruntled head-fiers complain about how headphone makers advertise their products. so this is what i have found:
1. Sennheiser places their stuff in comercials, discretely, and they put them in popular stores like Circut City and Apple
2. Shure is also seen in popular stores and sends their stuff out to reviewers like Cnet.
3. Grado sends their stuff out to some reviewers, but not the high end stuff and they are not in popular stores but in audiophile/mid audio stores, like Cambridge
4. Beyer is unheard of, but there are pictures of pretty actresses with them on.... strange way to advertise but i guess it works for them.
5. Ultimate Ears, does not exists anywhere outside of the internet, but is reviewed.
6. Bose, everyone knows how they advertise.
the rest i don't think they advertise at all.
Ive actually considered going into the cambridge store on Shattuck and yelling at them: no one is in your store! look, there are 30K students out there, 20K with ipods, at least half of them buy headphones. why don't you try to promote the sennheisers and gradoes you have behind your counter? why not put up a display and let people listen?

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #2 of 5
it's a niche market, if you're really looking for high-end phone info you'll find it sooner or later. Though I still think headphone and related companies should market their products more. There was actually a whole thread on this awhile back.

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:35 AM Post #3 of 5
I was up really late one night last week and a Frankenstein remake was on.

This time the monster was a woman and for whatever reason she was sporting a pair of Sennheiser HD 497s whilst submerged in a shallow pool of goo.

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
if you're really looking for high-end phone info you'll find it sooner or later.

True, but most people don't now they want high-end phones until they listen to a pair.
Most people just don't know what good sound is, so they are not looking for it either.

Feb 24, 2006 at 8:48 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy
True, but most people don't now they want high-end phones until they listen to a pair.
Most people just don't know what good sound is, so they are not looking for it either.

That's a good point. I was looking for something that might be better than the stock Ipod earbuds and found the SR80. It's been a net $5-$6K on headphones, sources, amps, and related accessories since then.

There's a huge market out there that isn't being fully tapped by some of these companies. Seems like Bose gets the advertising side of it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back