Headphone adaptors
Mar 30, 2004 at 8:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

smeggy

Member of the Trade: ThunderpantsTP1
http://www.divertech.com/uhcsignature.html

Your thoughts on using standard amp speaker outputs with an adaptor such as this one for headphone use would be appreciated if anyone here has ever tried one. I don't know how well it would compare to a PPA type amp given that the standard amp is of decent quality. I figured that if the amp sounds good then the same signal into an adaptor box > 'phones should also sound good. This unit has been reviewed elsewhere in it's pre-production form and was found to have little sonic effect on the signal.

Opinions?

Mar 31, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #2 of 18
There is a Head-Fi review that I think can still be accessed from the front page.

I have never seen a review of a device like this being used on a GOOD amp. Everyone seems to assume that if one can afford a good amp, one will have a good headphone amp too.
confused.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:09 AM Post #3 of 18
I would be very interested in what people have to say about this. I have a Musical Fidelity X-100R amp(without headphone jack) with a Technics receiver plugged into it's Tape Out. I then plug my headphones into the headphone jack of the Technics receiver. Since I am not using the Technics receiver to drive speakers I would like to know if a device such as this (above) would be as good as using a headphone amp?

And has anyone seen a less complicated version of this type of device, without those extra speaker out plugs?

Mar 31, 2004 at 10:28 AM Post #4 of 18
Hi Smeggy

This is just what I can answer to your question. It's cheap and can let you listening to headphones in very good conditions.

I bought it last October and I'm very happy with it. I own a custom made amp and the adapter gives me the sonic signature of my amp. The sound is better than with my Emmeline XP-7.

If you buy this transformer, may I give you 2 advices :

1- Take care not to short circuit your amp by touching with your fingers the + and - bindposts of the adapter when your amp is on. Protect the + bindposts with chatterton.

2- Resold the headphone jack directly to the bindposts going to your amp. The sound is better when bypassing the commutator. You will just have to disconnect your speakers cables and connect your transformer when listening to headphones.

Regards,

Denis

Mar 31, 2004 at 11:09 AM Post #5 of 18
Thanks for the answers guys, very helpful.

I'm actually going off in a rather strange direction, I just bought a Griffin Powerwave amp and the thing is fantastic. Much better sounding with my stuff than the Gilmore lite was. I'm getting a Luminous Audio AXIOM passive preamp to use with it and maybe the Antique Sound Labs UHC Signature adapter to bypass using the Amp's headphone socket and get the full sonic benefit of the Powerwaves speaker outlets.

I'll probably put the whole lot into one case once it's all stripped down for easy portability. For $100 the Powerwave is a seriously good sounding amp that belies both it's price and spec's. On paper it look's like a piece of junk but the sound is wonderful. Plus it'll drive a good size set of speakers to decent levels. I think I've found the perfect little amp for me.
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by denis
I own a custom made amp and the adapter gives me the sonic signature of my amp. The sound is better than with my Emmeline XP-7.

This is the sort of report I've been waiting for! Better than the Emmeline is high praise.
Anyone else?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
There is a Head-Fi review that I think can still be accessed from the front page.

I have never seen a review of a device like this being used on a GOOD amp. Everyone seems to assume that if one can afford a good amp, one will have a good headphone amp too.
confused.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a Rotel RA932 - it sounds wonderful with speakers (Kef Coda 8) , but frankly the headphone out is a bit disappointing and very noisy(hummy), whereas I would not expect great things from the speaker out of my Marantz 2226 but with headphones it is lovely - go figure as they say.

Mar 31, 2004 at 11:37 PM Post #9 of 18
Still happy to recommend this unit rickcr42 ?

It certainly looks like an ideal solution for my needs. With the Powerwave, Axiom and the UHC Signature all in one box it would be an awesome little setup. Compact too if I can find the right size enclosure for it all. Luckily most of the component parts are small
biggrin.gif

All told it'll cost around $450 with cables.

Apr 1, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #10 of 18
yeah , i like it

Nothing fancy but does as advertised and even though i have many headphone amps this little device will never be sitting in the corner gathering dust

No added noise and the essence of the amp comes through

the caveats mentioned have been addressed

i put smaller softer rubber feet on and replaced the clip connectors with barrier strips

my current favorite speaker connector

I have a 10 watt or so class A amp that sings with the UPC and AKG K240s

Apr 1, 2004 at 1:52 AM Post #13 of 18
the ASL UPC signature is not a resistor based adapter but a pair of impedance converting transformers mounted in a case with connectors and a simple speaker / headphone switch

way better than any resistor matrix could hope to be

Apr 1, 2004 at 2:09 AM Post #14 of 18
Are you coming for the NYC gradolabs meet, Rick?
If you are, these two products will make for an interesting comparison.
Kartik

Apr 1, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #15 of 18
I listened to this exact unit on Sunday. Was at MikeG's house for a mini-meet and this was hooked up to his ASL bigass amp (heh.... product numbers are for wusses). I was very impressed with the sound, drove 650's & RS-1's quite nicely. Of course I was more involved with the K1000's powered by aforementioned amp

cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back