Headphile C-Pads V7
Mar 16, 2007 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

newguru

100+ Head-Fier
How many people here are using these things and what do you think about them?

Do they do anything negative to the Grado signature sound?

Is the added comfort of them worth the price ~$139?

General thoughts?

Mar 16, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to know myself what's better: the new C-pads or adding the Liberators...

I guess I need to do a search on Liberators. I have never heard of them.

Mar 17, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #6 of 13
Are the C-Pads the most comfortable Grado pads? Maybe. I find that flats are more comfortable on my RS-1 because of how they're completely weightless, but on a heavier Grado like the 325i the C-Pads may be a bit more comfortable.

That STILL doesn't make up for them sounding like complete crap, however.

Mar 17, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #7 of 13
Grado headphones- with bowls or flats take time to get used to. I have a pair of C-pads and to be honest, they're no more comfortable to me than a good pair of broken-in bowls. I like the sound with bowls better, it sounds more detailed. With C-pads, I find the soundstage sounds exaggerated, the highs become more rolled off, and the bass loses impact. I mentioned the Liberators because they seem like a good alternative to C-pads sonic-wise. Maybe somebody whose used both could elaborate.

Mar 17, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado headphones- with bowls or flats take time to get used to. I have a pair of C-pads and to be honest, they're no more comfortable to me than a good pair of broken-in bowls. I like the sound with bowls better, it sounds more detailed. With C-pads, I find the soundstage sounds exaggerated, the highs become more rolled off, and the bass loses impact. I mentioned the Liberators because they seem like a good alternative to C-pads sonic-wise. Maybe somebody whose used both could elaborate.

Funny how my experience with the bolded line is translated into 'more neutral' to me. I don't like the way the C-pads seem to suck out the mids though, so back to flat pads I went with my MS-2.

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #9 of 13
Interesting. So the consensus is that the C-pads do more sonic harm than the good comfort they bring to the Grados?

If that is the case, then it makes it easy to pass on the $139 additions.

Maybe I will just wait and see if someone has the Liberators and see what the thoughts are with them?

Mar 17, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by newguru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. So the consensus is that the C-pads do more sonic harm than the good comfort they bring to the Grados?

That has been my opinion (and shared by that of forum members KyPeN and skeeder who I know in real-life) when trying C-Pads (two different sets) on the SR-60, SR-225, SR-325i, RS-2, and RS-1. Obviously they'd be pointless on the GS1000.

I can't vouch for the two most expensive Grados (HP-1000, which some have liked C-Pads with, and PS-1), but for the entire "standard" Grado line I consider C-Pads a novel concept but a complete waste of money.

If anyone really wants to try them I'd sell my set (Black RS-series so they'll work on any Grado, come with 5 of the 8 plugs) for the $55 shipped I paid for them. I just haven't gotten around to making a post about them in the FS forums yet.

Mar 17, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #11 of 13
Well since I have never heard them I will go with your opinion and pass on them. That is enough for me not to waste the money on them. The Grado's aren't that painful for me but if I could get that Senn comfort level without hurting the sound signature, I would have entertained the idea.

Mar 18, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #12 of 13
Just to add a contrasting opinion, I really like my C-Pads. They're not V7, they come from the older Zeta Flat generation (same ones that Arainach has, going by the sig). My more detailed opinion is here.

Mar 18, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by clatter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to add a contrasting opinion, I really like my C-Pads. They're not V7, they come from the older Zeta Flat generation (same ones that Arainach has, going by the sig). My more detailed opinion is here.

+1... If it wasn't for C-Pads I wouldn't currently own a Grado. I also have Zeta Flats as well, and have bowls, flats and comfies for comparison.

Ant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back