Headphile BlackSilver HD650 cable arrived...
Jul 15, 2005 at 8:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Asterix

Banned
Compared to the Silver Dragon its got a more diffused sound with a more open, harmonicly rich high end. It is smoother and does not irritate my tinnitus as much. It is still very detailed. The connectors feel more solid because they are the large 650 connectors not the smaller 600 kind like on the SD. Thank you Larry for another fine cable.

Jul 15, 2005 at 10:32 AM Post #2 of 9
My sonic impression is very similar as yours, also in comparison to the Silver Dragon. I didn't notice any effect on my tinnitus though, which is solely dependent on my mood (extraverted or introverted).

peacesign.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 9
One drawback is that the sound does not seem as big and close as it did with the SD. The SD really revealed a lot of detail this way. The BlackSilver has a more 'even' or 'distant' sound... definately more mellow.

As for the tinnitus, I'm not really sure what makes it seem worse, if it's psychological or not I don't know... I'm hoping I'll adjust to it, though, since it's recently gotten worse (since I accidently played the 650's/SD too loud...)

Jul 15, 2005 at 11:37 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterix
One drawback is that the sound does not seem as big and close as it did with the SD. The SD really revealed a lot of detail this way. The BlackSilver has a more 'even' or 'distant' sound... definitely more mellow.

Yes, smoother and more mellow -- which makes it less fatiguing, more elegant and musical, so it gets more listening time than the Silver Dragon. The latter's closeness and hyperdetail seems a bit artificial to me, the more so as the upper end isn't too refined.

Quote:

As for the tinnitus, I'm not really sure what makes it seem worse, if it's psychological or not I don't know... I'm hoping I'll adjust to it, though, since it's recently gotten worse (since I accidently played the 650's/SD too loud...)

I think it's a mere mental thing. Usually tinnitus doesn't get worse. But unfortunately once it's there, it doesn't disappear anymore, save for rare cases. I have adjusted to mine and don't notice it most of the time, although it can disturb the musical enjoyment every now and then, with speakers more so than with headphones, which is why I almost exclusively listen to headphones these days.

peacesign.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 11:44 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
Yes, smoother and more mellow -- which makes it less fatiguing, more elegant and musical, so it gets more listening time than the Silver Dragon. The latter's closeness and hyperdetail seems a bit artificial to me, the more so as the upper end isn't too refined.

I think it's a mere mental thing. Usually tinnitus doesn't get worse. But unfortunately once it's there, it doesn't disappear anymore, save for rare cases. I have adjusted to mine and don't notice it most of the time, although it can disturb the musical enjoyment every now and then, with speakers more so than with headphones, which is why I almost exclusively listen to headphones these days.

peacesign.gif

Interesting, for me it's the other way around, my speakers are easier on my tinnitus.

EDIT: I think, this could change, I've only had the constant ringing in my right ear for a few weeks now.

Jul 15, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Interesting, for me it's the other way around, my speakers are easier on my tinnitus.

EDIT: I think, this could change, I've only had the constant ringing in my right ear for a few weeks now.

I think he ment that with headphones on he doesn't notice his tinnitus as much as when listening to speakers, not that they are easier on the ears. Also Asterix, you definately should try to go to the doctor for your tinnitus because sometimes it can be caused by ear wax impacted against your eardrum and your ears may not be really damaged. This happened to me a couple of months ago.

Jul 15, 2005 at 2:02 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
I think he ment that with headphones on he doesn't notice his tinnitus as much as when listening to speakers, not that they are easier on the ears. Also Asterix, you definately should try to go to the doctor for your tinnitus because sometimes it can be caused by ear wax impacted against your eardrum and your ears may not be really damaged. This happened to me a couple of months ago.

Ok

Jul 15, 2005 at 2:10 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Compared to the Silver Dragon its got a more diffused sound with a more open, harmonicly rich high end. It is smoother and does not irritate my tinnitus as much. It is still very detailed. The connectors feel more solid because they are the large 650 connectors not the smaller 600 kind like on the SD. Thank you Larry for another fine cable.

Just wondering, how many hours on the silver dragon?

Jul 15, 2005 at 2:23 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
Just wondering, how many hours on the silver dragon?

I had it for a few weeks, and I use my headphones almost every night when I can't use my speakers, and I don't sleep much...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back