Headmaster Owners Unite! Your opinions please.
Aug 7, 2002 at 11:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

flashbak

1000+ Head-Fier
Since there recently have been claims made that the Sugden Headmaster is somewhat shy in it's bass region, I'd like to know if any other Headmaster owners have found this to be the case? Please specify your point of reference ? I'm curious to know if this is indeed is the case or can be attributed to a defective unit being auditioned.

Aug 7, 2002 at 12:02 PM Post #2 of 17
Yes, I think it's bass shy. Comparison is to the RKV. The Headmaster definitely lacks visceral impact. On the flip side I think it has very good musical bass, i.e. I can discern bass instruments much better through the Headmaster then I could with the RKV. Of course I'm not a bass whore like some people who dig the RKV tend to be, and bass happens to be one of my last priorities. I think the Headmaster has more then enough outstanding qualities to outweigh its lack of visceral bass.

Aug 7, 2002 at 12:43 PM Post #3 of 17
Vertigo-1, thanks for the reply. The question is readily becoming apparent as to which amplifier actually has a flatter freqency response in bass. This perceived increase in bass can also be attributable to peaks n valley's in the amplifiers response. I agree it's starting to sound like we have some da bass people here. Interesting that many have said the RKV has a rolled off top end and great bass response. Your description is commonly refered to as a tight/controlled bass response (Headmaster). This is the opposite of a flabby or loosely controlled bass response in which bass notes are hard to distinguish from each other. I'm a little disturbed at how some people are just accepting these (bass shy) statements as gospel and getting turned off to this wonderful amplifier!

Aug 7, 2002 at 1:35 PM Post #4 of 17
Flashbak,

I don’t know if you has read my rew about the Sugden, I speak even about bass response… Now, after to know a little more the Headmaster, I can to confirm my impression, and more, IMO and with my source, I admire the Sugden first for his transparency and then for the bass region. Sometimes the very Hi would be a little in evidence. The middle has not the intimacy of a good tube amp, I think that a directly consequence of the transparency is exactly the bass clearness. This clearness in the bass you don’t find easily in the tube amps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 7, 2002 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 17
I, for one, consider the Sugden Headmaster to have great bass--definitely far above average. I would never call the amplifier bass-shy and never have. I have suggested that a couple of amplifiers have slightly better bass response in AB comparison.

I suggest actually making the comparisons and listening for yourself if you're concerned or interested rather than stating things out of blind assumption.

Aug 7, 2002 at 3:57 PM Post #9 of 17
I think Nick's use of the word "disturbing" may have been a bit of an exaggeration, but keep in mind that he had a Max, Twinhead and RKV on the same table. When he listened without comparing, Nick loved the Headmaster. What can I say, we're picky.

Aug 7, 2002 at 4:10 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by flashbak
More like inaccurate!

So we have inaccurate opinions? How does that work?

Aug 7, 2002 at 7:07 PM Post #12 of 17
Inaccurate? No need to get defensive, now.
rolleyes.gif

Armand Van Helden is not done any justice on the Headmaster. The Headmaster's bass is probably fine for most music... but deep twangy bass guitars, electronica, and ambient dub fans should keep looking.

Doesn't go low enough for me. Not for a $850 amplifier. At first I didn't notice it... but against the Max, RKV, and Twin Head it doesn't hold up. All amplifiers seem to have a weak spot. Bass is the Sugden's Achilles Heel. Some won't notice it. I did. I feel it's enough to be an issue.

With a few cap substitutions it could probably be fixed. Then it would be the ultimate solid state headphone amp. Until then, I'd take the Max... well, if I could afford one, that is.

Aug 7, 2002 at 7:32 PM Post #13 of 17
The Headmaster didn't come close to the low end extension or punch of the Earmax Pro in a direct A/B. This was as obvious as Michael Jackson's skin tone with organ music, electronica, and the aformentioned bass guitar.

It's still a great amp, but bass laiden music doesn't play to its strengths.

Aug 7, 2002 at 8:17 PM Post #15 of 17
Nick,
Thanks for your input. This whole thing seems to be getting out of hand! I was just very surprised to hear this observation since I hadn't heard anyone else state this before and didn't think it was out of line to ask if the unit auditioned might have been defective. Contrary to what some people are saying, I can accept the fact that the Sugden Headmaster is less then perfect!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back