Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Sep 4, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #3,947 of 9,882
  So Mr. Spritzer, am I right in inferring, that, as you hear it, the 009 on your BH does this:
"[the] 009's top gets worse and worse as the volume goes up" ?

IMO the BHSE is just perfect with the 009’s, I’m a fairly loud listener and have found nothing that the 007 MK1 did better within my collection. In fact I’d confidently say the BHSE and 009 are as good as I’ve ever heard any system.
People will always be polarised over what they perceive as better or worse and that’s just the nature of this hobby. I disagree with Spritzers opinion, as from my experience I cannot hear what he does or I simply am not sensitive to what he hears, or I’m deaf, so be it.

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #3,948 of 9,882
I am 51 so there may be some age related high frequency attenuation.

Does the BHSE + SR-009 sound bright? Yes but only at levels that I find uncomfortable and which is probably bad for your long term hearing sensitivity. It is almost like a built-in hearing protection...which is an advantage in my book..

In my experience, this slight brightness affects only poorly recorded materials.. With most recordings, the BHSE + SR-009 combo sounds sublime....better in my opinion than the already excellent SR-007 Mk1.

In my extensive comparison over the past year between the 2 Stax models, I preferred the SR-009 for better detail retrieval, lower and tighter bass reproduction and greater sense of airiness. The SR-007 only had an advantage when playing less than stellar recordings.

I respect all the member's opinion and depth of knowledge but clearly there are individual variations in how we perceive sound.

Edit:
I noticed that our perceived differences is quite often accentuated by the terms used to describe our opinions. Few headphones in the hi-end segment actually elicit diametrically opposing views from experienced headfier. So to fully benefit from the opinions expressed here, it is useful to understand the writers point of reference and the way he/she express themself. I found that with some research, most differences in opinion are more subtle than described.

Sep 4, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #3,949 of 9,882
PG is one of my favorites as well, but that song (and Big Time) are two of the harshest songs I can think of. Even from our modest speaker system, my wife and I both run to skip the song when it starts playing. I have heard it from the original cd and the sacd as well. It is only listenable live to my ears (and I find it harsh with the 007 mk1 as well), but I may be slightly biased as it would be one of my least favorite PG songs - not sure if it is the song or how it was mastered.

The time I listened to IanG's 007's with my BHSE, I didn't play any of my PG CD's.
One of my favourite songs by Peter though is Downside Up ( live ) , his daughter sang it with him. I have it on DVD and to me it's very entertaining what was done.

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #3,953 of 9,882
I don't think it matters what headphones or speakers are being used, if played too loud they're going to sound uncomfortable. I do like to listen to Pink Floyds songs quite loud though.

Hello, you can hear a lot strong "The Dark Side on the Moon" album of Pink Floyd combined with the RKV-Wee + 009 without ear fatigue ; it's very impressive.
Friends have tried recently.

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #3,957 of 9,882
  @spritzer 
biggrin.gif
  ...I think you need to send me one of your "good" 007s because I don't like mine...

Well I need at least two pairs just to be safe but if I can find a third I'd be happy to send it on a small trip of the US. 
smily_headphones1.gif

IMO the BHSE is just perfect with the 009’s, I’m a fairly loud listener and have found nothing that the 007 MK1 did better within my collection. In fact I’d confidently say the BHSE and 009 are as good as I’ve ever heard any system.
People will always be polarised over what they perceive as better or worse and that’s just the nature of this hobby. I disagree with Spritzers opinion, as from my experience I cannot hear what he does or I simply am not sensitive to what he hears, or I’m deaf, so be it.

Sensitivity to certain areas would probably be the explanation plus personal preferences.  While age is always a factor in terms of what we hear, how much abuse the ears have... ehh... seen is much bigger one IMO.  Sensitivity can be lost in certain pasts of the audible range but it's hard for us to spot that unless we test for it. 

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #3,958 of 9,882
Hello, you can hear a lot strong "The Dark Side on the Moon" album of Pink Floyd combined with the RKV-Wee + 009 without ear fatigue ; it's very impressive.

Friends have tried recently.

When listening to Pink Floyds ( IMO ) excellent songs ( some written by the late Sid Barrett ) with the 009 / BHSE, I don't get any ear fatigue, even when I put the volume well above my norm.

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #3,959 of 9,882

Please have a listen to Peter Gabriel's " Sledge Hammer " and " Big Time " loudly with the 009 / BHSE, then post your thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back