Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Oct 11, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #407 of 9,881

Quote:
I received my BHSE around the same time as Anders and also have been very busy with work, so not much time on the tubes yet, about 20 hours at most.  Justin noted that my GE Big Bottles are light on gain, but otherwise well matched.  That seems certainly true, in that realistic listening levels require the attenuator to be set at least to the 4 o'clock position and up.  

By the way, the BHSE gets hot (both main chassis and power supply), beyond Rappaport Amp1 hot.  They need to be placed in well ventilated locations.  That's as negative as I can get on this one so far.

JHellow

What you're describing w/ the volume position is probably the curve on the DACT attenuator, which has small steps for the first several positions so you have to turn it up higher than with a pot like the Alps RK50.  Or, you have a low output source.

Max temp for the enclosure is about 40C.  Not hot.  If it's too hot to touch, that's hot.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Oct 12, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #411 of 9,881
The standard umbilical cable seems about 3.5 feet long.

Along with the Philips EL34 metal base, I also like the original made in England GEC KT77. The tubes don't look like much, quite ugly actually, but they have incredible liquidity, smoothness and refinement.

Metal base do look much better, though, especially with matching silver ring accents on the amp.
smile.gif

Oct 12, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #412 of 9,881
Personally I can tell very little difference between all of the better EL34 and KT77 tubes I've tried in this amp. I purchased an expensive matched quad of Mullard XF2's and while it sounded very good I could not tell the difference between those and the Amperex XF4's I'm currently using. I also like the Siemens/RFT EL34. All of those are NOS. Of the current production tubes I thought the SED were very nice along with the JJ KT77. 

The problem with tube comparisons is you are relying on memory to determine what sonic differences there are between a quad of tubes. I'm not very good at that so others will probably have different experiences. The good news is I'm not obsessively looking for the best EL34 any longer and enjoying the BHSE for what it is, a great amp for my electrostatic headphones.

Oct 12, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #413 of 9,881
Hi elephas,

could you please comment on the HE90 + BHSE combo? are they a good match? is HE90 + Aristaeus a better match?

thanks,
dave

Quote:
The standard umbilical cable seems about 3.5 feet long.

Along with the Philips EL34 metal base, I also like the original made in England GEC KT77. The tubes don't look like much, quite ugly actually, but they have incredible liquidity, smoothness and refinement.

Metal base do look much better, though, especially with matching silver ring accents on the amp.
smile.gif

Oct 15, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #414 of 9,881
Does anyone know if there are board sets (or layout artwork) and schematics available for the BHSE?
I've seen the original BH pcb layout, but would rather build something
that does not utilize a gadzillion finicky transistors made out of unobtanium.

Or is my only recourse to cough up $5000+ and wait a year for it to be built?

Oct 15, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #415 of 9,881
I had the opportunity to hear the HE90 through both the HEV90 and the BHSE in a single day - the HEV90 was a far better match.  Gotta love the Aristaeus
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Hi elephas,

could you please comment on the HE90 + BHSE combo? are they a good match? is HE90 + Aristaeus a better match?

thanks,
dave

Oct 17, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #417 of 9,881

Quote:
Does anyone know if there are board sets (or layout artwork) and schematics available for the BHSE?
I've seen the original BH pcb layout, but would rather build something
that does not utilize a gadzillion finicky transistors made out of unobtanium.

Or is my only recourse to cough up $5000+ and wait a year for it to be built?

Nevermind.
I got my answers after reading through a hundred pages of pain and misery.
Now if I can just find the parts....

Nov 5, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #418 of 9,881
Hey guys if I order one of Justins BHSE is the Alps RK 50 standard or optional? 

Alps RK 50 is extra there is a drop down on the order page,,sorry. RK 50 $5995.00 standard $4995.00 

Nov 9, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #419 of 9,881
The $1,000 upgrade to the RK50 is a very good price, considering the part itself costs around $1,000 when bought in small quantities. 

By the way, for those waiting for signs of build activity on the BHSE, I just recently got an e-mail from Justin inquiring about the kind of casework I want for my BHSE.  I am hoping this means that construction will be starting up soon on the next batch.

Nov 9, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #420 of 9,881

Quote:
The $1,000 upgrade to the RK50 is a very good price, considering the part itself costs around $1,000 when bought in small quantities. 

By the way, for those waiting for signs of build activity on the BHSE, I just recently got an e-mail from Justin inquiring about the kind of casework I want for my BHSE.  I am hoping this means that construction will be starting up soon on the next batch.

Is the RK 50 different (BHSE) than the one in my Balancing act? Because that was $415.00. From Alps in Japan.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/487629/fs-my-seat-on-current-balancing-act-pre-order-list#post_6613157

Users who are viewing this thread

Back