Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Jul 19, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #211 of 9,882
Yikes, you're quite right about the system matching. I reckon my Nagra CDC is very detailed and neutral, but still forgiving; my latest model Transparent IC is slightly the dark side of neutral; O2 Mk1 is detailed, neutral and forgiving. The end result with the dark SRM-007t is TONALLY just right for me, even though that's probably too dark for many. 

I'm probably worrying unnecessarily, but I'd be pretty damned annoyed if I spent that much on the BHSE and then found I had to change my other components to get back to my preferred tonal balance. Your comments suggest I needn't worry.

As a different refernce point, I see that audiosceptic has both BHSE and a HD800-based dynamic system. If you're still following this, how would you say your two systems compare on this point (the handling of over bright recordings)?

Jul 19, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #212 of 9,882

Quote:

As a different refernce point, I see that audiosceptic has both BHSE and a HD800-based dynamic system. If you're still following this, how would you say your two systems compare on this point (the handling of over bright recordings)?

I agree with Yikes post completely. The BHSE and SR-007 combo is not bright at all but projects all the detail that is present in the recording. The HD800 with either the BA or B-52 does an excellent job as well with bright recordings but I'd prefer the BHSE and SR-007.

Jul 20, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #214 of 9,882
I cannot comment on how my Omega IIs compare with other headphones, but, I can understand the impression that it can sound "bright" with the 007t amps.  I don't find that the high end excessively tipped up myself, but, compared to most speakers, the lack of upper bass resonance and the very tight bass response can make the sound somewhat "lean."  I suppose a leaner bass response can be viewed as a brighter top end.

I do think that this lack of bass boom makes the Omega IIs very revealing and extremely sensitive to coupling with other components.  When I used a Levinson No. 32 preamp in my system, the sound was too dry and analytical for my taste even though the Levinson errs on the side of dull and dark sounding for solid state.  My current tube linestage is a better match (Emotive Audio Epifania), though still not ideal (I heard my headphones with the Kondo M10 linestage and that was a better match).

I too am a bit concerned with the BHSE if the consensus is that the 007t amp is, by comparison, considered dark and dull in the high end response.  Still, more often than not, particular combinations of gear tends to confound expectations.  Only an actual trial can determine if things work out.  As far as how gear sounds with "bad" recordings, I find that better gear sounds good with all recordings.

Has anyone received their amp since the last reported delivery at Can Jam?

Jul 20, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #215 of 9,882
The SRM-007t is dark to my ears simply because it can't supply enough voltage to feed the high frequencies.  I for one would never call the SR-007 bright off any amp unless the recording is very bright.  Any version of the BH certainly doesn't create any artifical brightness if the recording doesn't have it. 

Aug 9, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #218 of 9,882
I am beginning to wonder which will occur first:  My taking delivery of a BHSE or the world coming to an end on 12-21-2012 (per the horrible movie based very loosely on the Mayan calendar).

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #220 of 9,882

Quote:
I am beginning to wonder which will occur first:  My taking delivery of a BHSE or the world coming to an end on 12-21-2012 (per the horrible movie based very loosely on the Mayan calendar).

There are insufficient data points from which to draw any estimates.  

Justin - How about some data points?  For example, on July 19 you advised that my data point would be finished that week.  Nothing since then.

JHellow

Quote:
What's the average waiting time? I'm thinking of getting one. 

Aug 9, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #221 of 9,882

You my friend are dreaming!

JHellow

It is always great to have hope! Besides i'm betting that he is currently busy with the pico slim pre orders and hopefully will have time to batch produce the bhses once that is done....

I'm just wondering though,just how big is that batch of orders still waiting to be done...

Aug 9, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #222 of 9,882

Quote:
There are insufficient data points from which to draw any estimates.  

Justin - How about some data points?  For example, on July 19 you advised that my data point would be finished that week.  Nothing since then.

JHellow

i have gotten a LOT of work done on these.  attempting to build 1 at a time was futile and putting me more behind.  many jobs were contracted out, the amount of work I then have to do to finish & ship myself continues to shrink.  then it will be very easy.  almost at that point now.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Aug 9, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #223 of 9,882

Quote:
i have gotten a LOT of work done on these.  attempting to build 1 at a time was futile and putting me more behind.  many jobs were contracted out, the amount of work I then have to do to finish & ship myself continues to shrink.  then it will be very easy.  almost at that point now.

Great, but what happened to being done with mine the week of July 19 and similar indications for the last nine months?

JHellow

Jhellow

Aug 10, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #224 of 9,882

Quote:
What's the average waiting time? I'm thinking of getting one. 

wink_face.gif

Aug 12, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #225 of 9,882
I have an opportunity for a new project and I cannot wait longer for my amp. So, I wrote to Justin to cancel my order for the BHSE. I am waiting for news from him for the refund procedure...
One less on the waiting list...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back