Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Nov 29, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #9,571 of 9,882
Congratulations. At this point you are probably already enjoying it, and so this email comes a little late, but be aware that the amp and power supply take a little time to start working after you turn them on. This is no issue whatsoever except when you turn the amp on for the first time without realizing there will be a delay, in which case the delay is almost long enough for you to have a coronary.

Nov 29, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #9,572 of 9,882
I actually received it this morning. So I got it hooked up and had to leave for work. Never turned it on. Wanted to give it plenty of time to come up to room temperature from shipping. So thanks for the heads up.

Nov 29, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #9,573 of 9,882
I generally turn the volume down on all my amps when shutting them off. Is that recommended on a stepped attenuator like the one on the BHSE?

Nov 30, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #9,574 of 9,882
First impressions are very positive. Looking forward to putting some time in with the amp.

Dec 1, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #9,575 of 9,882
I generally turn the volume down on all my amps when shutting them off. Is that recommended on a stepped attenuator like the one on the BHSE?
Not sure that a stepped attenuator would influence the decision AFAIC. This is just good practice overall IMHO. Same goes for plugging/unplugging headphones, too.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #9,576 of 9,882
Curious how much time is recommended to break in the tubes on the BHSE. I know Justin said they do a very extensive quality control process before they ship. Not sure if that involves much burn in of the tubes. Anyone have any input on this?

Feb 16, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #9,577 of 9,882
Hi All,
I am looking at getting this amp,,,so many great reviews but I have one, possibly two questions,, What, if any sound quality difference with & without the ALPS RK 50?, what compromise is there if I choose not having the ALPS RK 50?.

Thanks All

Feb 16, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #9,578 of 9,882
No sound quality difference. Just smoother volume adjustment with infinite steps. Basically you can make very small adjustments where the dact volume control goes in steps. I have the RK50 on a Woo WA33 and it is very nice. However I chose the dact for my BHSE. It works just fine. If the extra money doesn’t bother you I would go with the RK50. Otherwise save the money and put it towards something else.

Feb 16, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #9,579 of 9,882
No sound quality difference. Just smoother volume adjustment with infinite steps. Basically you can make very small adjustments where the dact volume control goes in steps. I have the RK50 on a Woo WA33 and it is very nice. However I chose the dact for my BHSE. It works just fine. If the extra money doesn’t bother you I would go with the RK50. Otherwise save the money and put it towards something else.

Seconded. The thing I liked about the RK50 is the ability to very finely tune the volume to match other amps for precise sound comparison. But it does not affect the tone of the amp. Save your money.

Feb 16, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #9,580 of 9,882
Hi All,
I am looking at getting this amp,,,so many great reviews but I have one, possibly two questions,, What, if any sound quality difference with & without the ALPS RK 50?, what compromise is there if I choose not having the ALPS RK 50?.

Thanks All
Hi,

I once owned a preamp with a 1 dB stepped attenuator. I did not like the quantum jumps in volume as there were many times when the lower step was just a bit too soft and the higher step was just a bit too aggressive. So I then decided that I would not purchase any dact-type volume controls again. But that was before I had a DAC with level control in my system. Now a stepped attenuator would not matter to me as I only use the DAC's volume conrol via remote. My BHSE has the Alps, but the only time I now use it is when switching between my 009's and VOCE headphones to set my preferred initial volume level.

Feb 17, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #9,584 of 9,882
The RK50 is very nice. I have both the RK50 and dact on amps, prefer the RK50. I went with dact simply for cost savings at the time, would have preferred the Alps. You’ll be having with it I’m sure.

Feb 20, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #9,585 of 9,882

Users who are viewing this thread

Back