Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Nov 15, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #9,151 of 9,882
Maybe everyone is just spending all their time listening to heaven and not feeling the need to comment any more!

With the recent TAS Special Headphone Issue giving glowing reviews to the BHSE and Stax combo, I would think that interest in them will be sparked again.
I also found it interesting that several members made an enormous amount of noise leading up to their unit's arrival, and then a year or two later it was on the auction block.
I sure don't plan on ever getting rid of my little gem once it gets here!
When you get your BHSE, you're done. Obviously you're still looking at DIY T2, GG, Carbon maybe, you're followin mafia's insane experiments, keep some curiosity about new from the headphones world, but if you like 009 or 007 sound through BHSE, you'll have a hard time be impressed by anything else. Different, yes. Better, no.
I'm still lurking around high end, have more or less extensively listened to top tier stuff (HE-1, Susvara, Abyss, Shangri-La, Utopia, etc...) as well as regular stuff, even from over 10k amps, and there's nothing telling me "it's better, I want to change". BTW, the other cans I like quite much and have a drive to investigate more are HD800 (which I own but with humble amping) and HE-6 (dat bass / tactility :anguished:)

Looking at resale, depends on each's situation, and there are indeed arnaud and another one who have sold their unit in few time.
Priorities change (family, other hobby), financial situation changes sometimes, some post-coïtal tristesse can occur, but when you have time and desire to listen to music through high-end can, you rarely get rid of this masterpiece :D

Ali

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #9,153 of 9,882
When you get your BHSE, you're done. Obviously you're still looking at DIY T2, GG, Carbon maybe, you're followin mafia's insane experiments
Just when you think the BHSE is your end game, you see a beautiful DIY T2 coming up for sale. Makes you drool all over again...

Looking at resale, depends on each's situation, and there are indeed arnaud and another one who have sold their unit in few time.
Priorities change (family, other hobby), financial situation changes sometimes, some post-coïtal tristesse can occur, but when you have time and desire to listen to music through high-end can, you rarely get rid of this masterpiece
There are indeed some who sell their BHSE after a while. Some upgrade to a DIY T2 (in my opinion still a step up), or some change to a Carbon or one of the other KG designs. Rarely do I see someone sell it because they dislike it (not saying there are none though).

HeadAmp is one of the few companies where you truly get something in return for your money. And by that, I'm not even talking about the sound, but things like parts, engineering, etc.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #9,154 of 9,882
Lets say a BHSE is $6500, a T2 is probably going to cost someone who is lucky enough to commission a good DIY builder about circa $10,000 or thereabouts. Anyone going to give me a steer on whether the price difference is that audible? Understand everything is subjective. BTW I'm coming from the perspective of a 009/Carbon owner who is very happy with that combination, but we all know, how can we get MORE..

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #9,155 of 9,882
If you back read most would say that yes there is a noticeable difference. Even people who don't offer an opinion often like KG said he had a 'T2 moment' if I am not mistaken. Although there are one or two who have said they prefer another amp for various reasons. I think Spritzer eventually decided he finds the T2 to be a bit colored so he still opts for the carbon more. My memory is always a bit questionable so if anyone needs to correct that please do. The only other amp at the moment that I have seen referenced as on the level of the T2 is the KG circlotron which if you want GL with that..
Right now the level below that seems to be occupied by the BHSE, Carbon, GG, and Megatron. As far as people selling BHSE like Ali said a lot of the time its other factors. Someone just sold a T2 recently btw.

It will be very interesting to see what Justin has come up with for his new stats amp. I hope sometime soon he can show or talk a little about it.

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #9,156 of 9,882
Lets say a BHSE is $6500, a T2 is probably going to cost someone who is lucky enough to commission a good DIY builder about circa $10,000 or thereabouts. Anyone going to give me a steer on whether the price difference is that audible? Understand everything is subjective. BTW I'm coming from the perspective of a 009/Carbon owner who is very happy with that combination, but we all know, how can we get MORE..
YES. But really, all the options above are great.

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #9,157 of 9,882
The DIY T2 is audibly better. But in all fairness, having a BHSE myself, don't expect a huge difference. People here tend to blow things up. They switch a cable or tube and they here a massive difference ... YMMV :smirk:

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #9,158 of 9,882
If you back read most would say that yes there is a noticeable difference. Even people who don't offer an opinion often like KG said he had a 'T2 moment' if I am not mistaken. Although there are one or two who have said they prefer another amp for various reasons. I think Spritzer eventually decided he finds the T2 to be a bit colored so he still opts for the carbon more. My memory is always a bit questionable so if anyone needs to correct that please do. The only other amp at the moment that I have seen referenced as on the level of the T2 is the KG circlotron which if you want GL with that..
Right now the level below that seems to be occupied by the BHSE, Carbon, GG, and Megatron. As far as people selling BHSE like Ali said a lot of the time its other factors. Someone just sold a T2 recently btw.

I agree. To use a Stereophile-type ranking:

Class A+: DIY T2

Class A: BHSE, Carbon, GG and Megatron.

Class B: KGSSHV, KGST and SRX Plus.

I've heard the KGST, SRX Plus and BHSE, but not the others. This ranking is based on reports from other Head-Fiers and reports elsewhere on the web. Within each category some may prefer one or another amp.

The commercial Stax amps (SRM-006, 007, 717, 727) rank below those listed above.

At a certain point you have to stop listening to amps and start listening to music.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #9,159 of 9,882
I pretty much agree with JimL's rankings for what I've heard: DIY T2, BHSE, KGSShv and KGST. I do rate the BHSE a bit above Carbon, but I tend to prefer tubes. Though these would be idealized Stereophile Class rankings; SP makes a damn mess of their own rankings.

I'd have bought/commissioned a DIY T2 by now if I hadn't sunk so much cash into my 2ch/vinyl rig this year (so, so much); that has taken #1 priority. But DIY T2 with 009 is still the ultimate headphone rig in my mind.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #9,160 of 9,882
I have had extended listening opportunities for the T2 and BH at meets.
Megatron is at the same level (IMHO).
Having the KGSShv also, I prefer the Megatron.
My next build will be the carbon or GG. Just can't make my mind between the 2 of them.

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #9,163 of 9,882
In the Megatron thread there are a bunch of sonic comparisons to other KG amps. It will give a good idea of its signature. I doubt based on who designed the Megatron that it is inherently lush, but with the right tubes you probably could bring it in that direction.

It's amazing to think that the BHSE was designed about 10 years ago and the T2 ~25 years ago.

What sounds good now will always, just look at the market for vintage speakers.

To the point that was raised about the pace of posting slowing here, it's not that the bhse has been passed by.. I think it has to do with headamp being more on top of orders. Cut out the conversations related to the anticipation of amp arrival and the post count would be much lower overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back