Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Jun 18, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #8,941 of 9,882
What power cables are you using with your blue hawaii

Currently I am using an AntiCables Level 3 Reference Series Power cord for $330, http://anticables.com/power-cords, with 6 Fair-Rite ferrites (get it?) from http://www.kregercomponents.com @ ~$15 ea. (PM me for more info, or if enough people ask, I’ll publish gory details.) All of this is with direct lines to my fuse box through a Furutech wall receptacle with an analog front end.

For the first step in getting to my current configuration, I had a Shunyata Reasearch Ztron Sigma Analog cable ($1995) and their Denali 2000T conditioner ($3495) in house on demo, and did detailed comparisons between that combo and just an Anticable driving the BHSE. Versus many other comparisons I have done of power cords, interconnects, etc., the difference here was rather subtle. The following statements apply to the Anticable, the winner of this comparison. On Peter, Paul and Mary’s Album 1700, Mary was a little breathier and less “hard”, Peter and Paul were more focused in space and stood out more in the mix, plucking of the bass a little cleaner. On Solti’s London recording of Beethoven’s 9th, basses are raspier all the way down, and less “hummy”, violins and violas more beautiful (sorry), are more clearly ensembles of individuals (vs. just “sections”) and are easier to pull out of the mix from the rest of the many performers. The four vocal soloists sounded more “open” with more beautiful integration of all their harmonics and fundamentals. The overall gestalt is more open, focused and cleaner, with clear hall cues and placements. On Joni Mitchell’s Court and Spark, her voice is airier and more beautiful, the cymbals are more “open”, and the guitar is more clearly a wooden box with tensioned strings in a real recording space. The Shunyata combination blew away "stock" power cables and some pretty fancy alternatives (including cables of silver), but not the Anticables Level 3, which is evidently quite a "bargain". ($330 a bargain? Am I warped? Yes. Are we warped? Yes.)

Months later, for the second step, I acquired the 6 ferrites, and compared “just” the Anticable to that with ferrites. In the intervening interval, I have come to like more and more the term “focus” for describing power-source comparisons, in analogy to optical focus. With the ferrites the sound had substantially better focus: I can identify locations, timbers and musical lines of individual performers on Court and Spark considerably more clearly. Under the class of “timbers” Joni’s voice is “airier”, ‘breezier”, more “open”, the bass and electrical guitars have more impact and the cymbals less hashy more metallic: all contributing to greater "beauty". “Focus” is nice. Pictures cannot be “too focused” (unless you are going for interesting effects). Its not like, e.g., low-frequency response, where too much really is too much, leaving an aesthetic judgment at the end. More focus is absolutely good, and the Anticable provides excellent focus (up and down the spectrum) which is improved substantially (in my home on a random day) by the addition of Fair-Rites. IMO ferrites are spectacular performers for benefit vs. cost.

Finally, a word about my goal as an ear-speaker listener. I want to hear what the microphones “heard” during recording, all the disparate lines the the composer or arranger want to contribute to the work and the mastery of the performers. I am not asking my system to modify the sound, e.g., to make me “feel” like I am mid hall for a symphonic recording. I do not mind at all the experience of Joni focused as if she was singing “to me” (as she was to microphone).

Jun 26, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #8,943 of 9,882
Hi there,

wile waiting for my BHSE (got the final payment inquiry last week :) ) I prepare everything so that the BHSE will have a "smooth landing" at its new home. In this context, question to the experts: What do you take in order to clean/protect power supply. Any experiences on SQ with BHSE in connection with power regenerators or power transformers? What do you use to safe your precious from power peaks and noise?

Cheers

Robert

Jun 26, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #8,944 of 9,882
Hi there,

wile waiting for my BHSE (got the final payment inquiry last week :) ) I prepare everything so that the BHSE will have a "smooth landing" at its new home. In this context, question to the experts: What do you take in order to clean/protect power supply. Any experiences on SQ with BHSE in connection with power regenerators or power transformers? What do you use to safe your precious from power peaks and noise?

Cheers

Robert

Upgrade your powercord, if you care enough. Otherwise, enjoy it as is :) roles some tubes just for fun and slightly altering different sounds

Jun 26, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #8,945 of 9,882
I use APC home theater UPS with true sinewave and line conditioning. Very essential for my area as the power is very unreliable, brown outs, flickering, etc.
Hi there,

Cheers

Robert

Jun 26, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #8,946 of 9,882
Hi,

thanks for your swift replies - so we have 2 extreme solutions from powercord to UPS ... I rather thought about simple transformers or, more expensive but maybe not necessarily better power regenerators, in order to deal with little peaks and noise from other devices - in combination with a proper power cord for the clean power. Hm - UPS seems to be essential in very unreliable environments. Living in Switzerland, I never experienced any outages. Any further opinions?

All the best
Robert

Jun 27, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #8,950 of 9,882
Hi,

thanks for your swift replies - so we have 2 extreme solutions from powercord to UPS ... I rather thought about simple transformers or, more expensive but maybe not necessarily better power regenerators, in order to deal with little peaks and noise from other devices - in combination with a proper power cord for the clean power. Hm - UPS seems to be essential in very unreliable environments. Living in Switzerland, I never experienced any outages. Any further opinions?

All the best
Robert

There are various filters and 'line conditioners' that seem to have various claims. I messed with some budget and not so budget solutions (as a demos at home) but gave up and then tried a power regenerator. It was a revelation. I feed my whole system from a PS Audio P10 and the jump in sound quality is not subtle. Many high end demos at shows use the P10 or multiple P10's. If you have are on only HPs and smaller amps you could get away with a P5 easily. The P10 has enough power to feed my whole system inc the power amplifier. The front end devices such as DACs are very vulnerable to noisy / dirty power. What a power regenerator does is not so much avoid outages (though I have set my P10 to power down on an outage to avoid retries by the electric board and thumps into my gear) it completely regenerates the sine wave to be a prefect waveform, no distortion and no noise. I had 2.5% line distortion before and the voltage went from 228v - 249v. I have it set now to 230v exactly and distortion is below 0.1%. Changes in the sound are blacker background, better bass detail and depth, cleaner treble and increased soundstage and layering. The system sound bigger as well, more dynamic and smoother. Remember any hifi device is 50% power supply 50% gain stages or digital stages, so the better and cleaner power you feed those devices, the better it will sound. It also gives the caps in the device fuller charge as well using 'multi wave' setting. I was negative about this subject until I heard the effect it has.

Good luck.

Jun 27, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #8,951 of 9,882
If anyone is considering upgrading power cords and conditioners/regenerators for their BHSE, then you should also consider upgrading the 4 fuses. This may give more bang-per-buck IMO, although the effects are cumulative, so it's not an either/or suggestion, just more ways to get better sound and empty your wallet :).

I'd start with the SR Black fuses and make sure that the seller will honour the SR money-back-if-not-satisfied guarantee. If you're new to this concept then you should do some research first because there are safety approval considerations.

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #8,952 of 9,882
Agree with the aboves, and then that is why we want all meticulous wirings with precious metals and so on in our amps. Anyways, I am not a big fan on line filters, and or regenerator kind of stuff. I do believe in wires, cables, and components differences though.

The best way to power through your gears is to buy a Tesla Battery Pack, charge it up, and connect it from there :).

Jun 28, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #8,953 of 9,882
Anyways, I am not a big fan on line filters, and or regenerator kind of stuff. I do believe in wires, cables, and components differences though.

The best way to power through your gears is to buy a Tesla Battery Pack, charge it up, and connect it from there :).

Garbage in as regards sound quality of all components applies to both the source and up the chain, we know that. But also possibly more so, the power supply in all those audio devices, and how well that copes with creating pure noise free stable power. Remember a decent pre-amplifier has abpiut 50% of it's budget in the design of an audiophile level power supply.

I dig mains cables and such, but if the mains supply is noisy it will wreak havoc in those sensitive devices. it is a hard task to improve much beyond tweaks IMO. My point is, if you dig 2am listening, and find it sounds better, well bank on 200% better than that 24/7. That is where I am at post power regenerator. The difference (amount) will depend on the noise in your house, and the distance from the transformer in your district, the age of the mains in the street, the amount of use by industrial units and shops in your grid, even the amount of users in your block or street. I say, forget that, get a PR and control everything from your end.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #8,954 of 9,882
Garbage in as regards sound quality of all components applies to both the source and up the chain, we know that. But also possibly more so, the power supply in all those audio devices, and how well that copes with creating pure noise free stable power. Remember a decent pre-amplifier has abpiut 50% of it's budget in the design of an audiophile level power supply.

I dig mains cables and such, but if the mains supply is noisy it will wreak havoc in those sensitive devices. it is a hard task to improve much beyond tweaks IMO. My point is, if you dig 2am listening, and find it sounds better, well bank on 200% better than that 24/7. That is where I am at post power regenerator. The difference (amount) will depend on the noise in your house, and the distance from the transformer in your district, the age of the mains in the street, the amount of use by industrial units and shops in your grid, even the amount of users in your block or street. I say, forget that, get a PR and control everything from your end.
Sounds reasonable, what PR do you have currently

Jun 29, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #8,955 of 9,882
IMG_3168.JPG

I use the PS Audio P10. I needed the power to also feed my speaker power amp which is on 24/7 (about 100 Watts idle, up to 300 Watts in Class A/B mode, 700 watts as full Class A mode), my Carbon (70 watts) DAC (35 watts), Mac Mini and Rednet on the HDPlex LPS (90 watts).

If you run only HPs and amps then you should be fine with the P5 which is half the price. I paid about £3.3K for a new P10 from a dealer. It has been on 24/7 for 2 years and worked flawlessly and gets barely warm, unlike the earlier PPP units which got very hot as were class A and a different design. The new units are made in Boulder USA. If you notice, a lot of high end demo systems at shows use the P10, sometimes 3 or 4 at once.

Not only does it improve everything powered by it, it also has a user interface to control the voltage, sinewave or multiwave choice, shut down (outage) reboot or not, and you can even control it over the web remotely. It is a bit big and heavy but as you can see it sits on the floor next to my Velodyne sub, so no placement issues really.

Interestingly it is not just the garbage coming into your house via the mains from the electric board, it is the garbage from other users on your local grid (street/s) businesses and heavy users, but also the appliances in your own home. Fridges are bad, hairdryers, TV's, computers and anything on SMPS dump noise down the mains wiring that will feed back into your gear. Well, unless you want to kill everything in the house while you listen to tunes! But then you can't make a cuppa and may fall over the cat.... Ha Ha. Anyway, you get my drift, the P10 is awesome. I didn't want it or was happy spending on something that doesn't play music directly, BUT very glad I got it. Kinda supercharged all my system.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back