Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Oct 7, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #6,067 of 9,882
Mmmm.  There are a shelf full of BHSE, just aching to be shipped, and folks are still wailing at Justin.  When you hear all the "special needs" going on, I can see why Justin has troubles answering his emails/PMs, etc. As for changing your order now?

I know this is an expensive, custom project, but this is an expensive custom project, and I am pretty sure he goes by your wishes when you ordered.  I myself did not order plain vanilla, but I knew when I signed on way back when that it would not be delivered until it was ready, and that it would take awhile.  Justin did send a couple emails about what I was wanting, and did seem to know what I had ordered initially.  It was confirmed again when I submitted the final payment.

As to the tubes, those units look to be just finished testing, during which I am sure he uses his standard tubes, so the measuring would be uniform.  I think that he will remove those tubes, install the top, then pack the units for shipping.  Tubes, cables, and possibly feet, will be installed by the new owner.

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #6,069 of 9,882
Yes I apologize for misdirecting the feet discussion, thanks for the clarifications. 

If there is anyone who should be complaining it's most likely Justin's power bill 

Oct 7, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #6,070 of 9,882
Oct 7, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #6,072 of 9,882
xf2 OO is smooth and has big soundstage with tons of details and resolution. I think you can get to higher volumes levels as well.

xf3/xf4 DD sounds slightly different compared to xf2 (IMO more tube like). Soundstage is a bit smaller. However, it has even more details and resolution – so much so that is gives a really nice raw presentation to the music, which still sounds musical (really amazing how much micro details is on a CD that you don’t hear).

Both are the best tubes for BHSE I’ve heard. If I had to pick one it would probably be the DD because it has a more unique sound, which I really like (it’s pretty close though).

Oct 8, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #6,074 of 9,882
  xf2 OO is smooth and has big soundstage with tons of details and resolution. I think you can get to higher volumes levels as well.

xf3/xf4 DD sounds slightly different compared to xf2 (IMO more tube like). Soundstage is a bit smaller. However, it has even more details and resolution – so much so that is gives a really nice raw presentation to the music, which still sounds musical (really amazing how much micro details is on a CD that you don’t hear).

Both are the best tubes for BHSE I’ve heard. If I had to pick one it would probably be the DD because it has a more unique sound, which I really like (it’s pretty close though).

How do they compare to the previous favorite Psvane EL 34PH?

Oct 8, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #6,075 of 9,882
  How do they compare to the previous favorite Psvane EL 34PH?

Assuming there are no reliability issues with the EL34PH, they are still excellent tubes for the BHSE.

IMO, the NOS Mullards (truly new or good used) are just on another level that no new production tube can touch (including EL34PH).

I believe the better the source the better the results, especially with the NOS Mullard tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back