Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Jul 21, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #5,641 of 9,882
That purple really pops. Not my choice of color, but it came out well for those who'd have it.

Jul 21, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #5,643 of 9,882
  For those thinking of trying the MBs, but didn't take notes from the posts from a couple of weeks back, then see the section about colour coding in my post #5487.
You don't get the option to choose the colour when ordering from most suppliers, so you have to tell them. It seems to matter, as Golfnutz reckoned his Blues were smoother than the Greys.
I've only got the Blues (!), but had I understood the grading before ordering, I'd probably have gone for the Whites.

I tried to order some Whites locally and waited about 3 weeks. Then I emailed Customer support in the US, and was told the Whites do exist but are extremely rare. At that point I went back to the store and cancelled my order (had to pay a deposit and was refunded). I think the Blues are fairly common for any of the music stores that carry them.

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #5,647 of 9,882
Just the picture I've been waiting for.  Thanks, Justin.

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #5,649 of 9,882
this is the first batch to use blue circuit boards. i did have a few green ones left. everything else is the same except the color but i do plan to set those aside. first i used all blue boards i had then the green ones. i think there's only 2 or 3 with the green board and 1 of them is the 2nd seafoam green amp that is unsold.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jul 22, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #5,653 of 9,882
Question: for tube rolling, how matched we need the quad EL34 to be? Any specs?

I recall this being asked before and somewhat being answered before -- I wish we had more details as well.

From memory, something along the lines of the left side tubes should be matched closely and the right side matched closely and the L + R sides (all 4) not necessarily needing to be as close.

The challenge is for the laypeople without tube testers or tons of experience with tubes in understanding the terminology of what the heck matched tubes really are.  I know that on ebay most of the times you just see sellers posting "matched pair" = tested for tube life and the two are somewhat close to each other.  Whether this is what is really needed in matching or not I doubt that it is enough information to be really useful.  Then you run into the date codes of tubes and buying disparate pairs and it gets way more challenging.

At any rate my ebay-fu is awful so if anyone happens to have a set of Mullard XF's available or knows where I can get them for not inflated prices please keep me in mind!

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #5,654 of 9,882

I recall this being asked before and somewhat being answered before -- I wish we had more details as well.

From memory, something along the lines of the left side tubes should be matched closely and the right side matched closely and the L + R sides (all 4) not necessarily needing to be as close.

The challenge is for the laypeople without tube testers or tons of experience with tubes in understanding the terminology of what the heck matched tubes really are.  I know that on ebay most of the times you just see sellers posting "matched pair" = tested for tube life and the two are somewhat close to each other.  Whether this is what is really needed in matching or not I doubt that it is enough information to be really useful.  Then you run into the date codes of tubes and buying disparate pairs and it gets way more challenging.

At any rate my ebay-fu is awful so if anyone happens to have a set of Mullard XF's available or knows where I can get them for not inflated prices please keep me in mind!

Tubeworld has matched pairs of xf3 for < $300.00 each (doubt you'll find a quad for less than $600). Also a match quad of xf4 at $500.00 Never received a bad tube from there yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back