Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Aug 14, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #31 of 9,882
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhellow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Elphas:

Those do not look like any EL34s I have ever seen. What are they and did you compare them to a standard EL34 before you made the change?

Thanks,

JHellow

Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how do the Treasures sound on it!?!? do tell
smily_headphones1.gif

theyre Shuguang Treasures

Aug 14, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #32 of 9,882
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
theyre Shuguang Treasures

Thanks for the info. Found them on line. They look interesting and there are some good reviews out there. Justin has my GE NOS big bottles to test in my unit, but that has not happened yet. These Treasures look like they good be a great back-up option if the big bottles do not prove out.

Let's hope Elphas does tell us how they sound.

JHellow

Aug 14, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #34 of 9,882
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He's said they aren't bad tubes but not worth the price being charged for them in the US.

So NOS it is I guess. I have not used tubes in many years. I picked up this matched quad of GE big bottles for a decent price, less than the Treasures. I have no delusions that they are as good as the Mullard XF2s, but those are very expensive as matched quads and yo really do not know what you are getting in most instances.

I asked Justin once whether KT-77s would work in place of EL34s, but never received a response. I really liked the KT-77s in my old Model 9s.

JHellow

Aug 15, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #35 of 9,882
The new production Mullard tubes Justin is shipping with the amps are supposed to be quite good but the good NOS stuff is better. The GE's are nice but the bass is a bit bloated compared to the XF2's, at least in my old BH.

Matched quads are nice to have but you really only need matched pairs, one per side.

KT77's are almost identical to the EL34 so they should work but I've never tried them.

Aug 15, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #37 of 9,882
very nice! it makes me think about the future.... although I was leaning towards the WES... I want some comparative impressions, who will be the first???
btw, does it fell like a 5k+ amp? it looks a bit cheap in the pictures....

Aug 15, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #38 of 9,882
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Get a new prescription for those glasses.

Aug 15, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #39 of 9,882
Quote:

very nice! it makes me think about the future.... although I was leaning towards the WES... I want some comparative impressions, who will be the first???

The amp is absolutely impressed to hold and behold. Even the power umbilical and its' connectors are finely chosen. There is nothing even remotely cheap about it.

dsc0776d.jpg

Aug 15, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #40 of 9,882
Quote:

Not enough bling, eh?

To me, personally, the BHSE is one of the most physically stunning amps of any kind that I have seen in person. Clean, elegant lines that complement nicely the brute force that the amp brings to the table sonically. I love the heat sinks.

Aug 15, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #41 of 9,882
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not enough bling, eh?

If it sounds good, looks are secondary, (my Halcro is kind of ugly but sounds fantastic) I just made the comment because I believe that a product of such price should be immaculately manufactured, and the pictures dissuade me. The Woo WES looks better built (dont like the acrylic panels) with consistent material application and craft.

Actually Monkey, to my view, its the typographic exaggeration "Blue Hawaii" that says bling to me and takes away the elegance you talk about... what about the top aluminum plate that doesn't seem to match the aluminum used in the front panel, the lateral heatsinks and the cone feet. I havent seen one, thats why I ask....

Im sure it sounds heavenly
beerchug.gif

Aug 16, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #42 of 9,882
Quote:

I just made the comment because I believe that a product of such price should be immaculately manufactured, and the pictures dissuade me.

You're looking at the wrong pictures then. The BHSE is subtle in its presentation but stunning nonetheless.

Quote:

what about the top aluminum plate that doesn't seem to match the aluminum used in the front panel, the lateral heatsinks and the cone feet. I havent seen one, thats why I ask....

The front panel intentionally does not match the heat sinks or top panel. The amp shown in the picture above has a blue-tinted gray front panel at the owner's request. The all black model has excellent monochromatic synergy if that's what you would prefer.

110661727.jpg

Aug 16, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #45 of 9,882
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The front panel intentionally does not match the heat sinks or top panel. The amp shown in the picture above has a blue-tinted gray front panel at the owner's request.

Guy, isn't that sort of like your Manley Stingray?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back