Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Jun 1, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #196 of 9,882
Alright, some updates from myself since it does look like I've been the only one who's ordered recently! Justin has assured me that my order is on schedule and will likely meet the november 2010 deadline.

So I basically bit the bullet and sent a second deposit of 25% to him, making it a total 50% of the price paid of the BHSE. To be honest it is making me a little nervous because it is quite a bit of money and my other half is already yelling at me for spending that much. I *really* want that amp but am really worried about the exchange rates moving against me.

Justin if you see this, please acknowledge my email sent to you on confirming that you've received the second deposit. It will make me a little less nervous and I would really appreciate the gesture, knowing how busy you are.
smile_phones.gif

Thanks for the confirmation man! And I continue the wait...

Jun 13, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #197 of 9,882
Well I actually received my BHSE at CanJam. It looks absolutely wonderful and the construction is the typical HeadAmp build, i.e. Practically perfect in every way. Unfortunately, we had to go out of town two days later so I still have not had a chance to hear it in my system :frowning2: . That will have to wait until we return. Stay tuned for more info, including the obligatory photos.

Jun 13, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #198 of 9,882
You'll love it, Jim, as I'm sure you're already aware.  

One thing nice about attending a lot of meets, including this recent CanJam, is that I've confirmed to myself repeatedly now that my BHSE and SR-007BL is my favorite rig (still considering source changes) even after hearing a lot of wonderful set-ups, many of which I'd be pleased as punch to own.    

Jun 16, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #202 of 9,882

Quote:
You'll love it, Jim, as I'm sure you're already aware.  

One thing nice about attending a lot of meets, including this recent CanJam, is that I've confirmed to myself repeatedly now that my BHSE and SR-007BL is my favorite rig (still considering source changes) even after hearing a lot of wonderful set-ups, many of which I'd be pleased as punch to own.    

I just recently went through a similar experience. I've been listening to the HD800 and the HE-5LE lately and haven't used the BHSE for a few weeks. When I did I realized how much better my music sounds through the BHSE and the SR-007. It is my favorite rig as well and well worth the wait to those who have ordered.

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #206 of 9,882
Has anyone heard from Justin recently?I emailed a couple of times to enquire on my BHSE color confirmation amd voltage as well as wanting to pay full payment since the USD rate against my home currency is relatively low now.

it does seem that he isn't replying my pms or emails,or didn't see it.

Justin if you see this can you reply briefly to me? Thanks and i appreciate it.

smile_phones.gif
 Thanks Justin, replied to you already!

Jul 19, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #207 of 9,882
A question relating to the BHSE's brighter treble compared to lower powered  "dark"  amps like my lowly 007t (with O2 Mk1):

How does the BHSE respond to poorly recorded, aggressive, "up front" recordings? Is it forgiving, or does it show up the poor recording and so make it less comfortable to listen to?

I've asked a similar question ages ago but no response, so trying again as I'm allergic to excessive brightness and this still concerns me about the BHSE. Wire-with-gain accuracy doesn't help if I can't enjoy my full range of good and bad recordings.

Jul 19, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #208 of 9,882
If you expect the BHSE to correct for poor recordings you're barking up the wrong tree.  If what you wanted was a crappy amplifier again, I'd wonder why you were spending the money for O2s if you don't really want to hear what was recorded.  Sorry to be so blunt but I can't find anything approaching logic in what you're asking. 

That said I didn't have any issues using the BHSE with my O2 MKII's or Lambda Sigs regardless of source material. 

Quote:
A question relating to the BHSE's brighter treble compared to lower powered  "dark"  amps like my lowly 007t (with O2 Mk1):

How does the BHSE respond to poorly recorded, aggressive, "up front" recordings? Is it forgiving, or does it show up the poor recording and so make it less comfortable to listen to?

I've asked a similar question ages ago but no response, so trying again as I'm allergic to excessive brightness and this still concerns me about the BHSE. Wire-with-gain accuracy doesn't help if I can't enjoy my full range of good and bad recordings.

Jul 19, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #209 of 9,882

Quote:
Sorry to be so blunt but I can't find anything approaching logic in what you're asking. 

I think it's reasonable to find out from forum members more about the sound characteristics of a particular new component that I have little chance of seeing or hearing before I buy. We are talking about equipment at the highest level, so there's little doubt that overall the BHSE will be a wonderful amp. But at these high levels, any component still has it's particular quirks or characteristics that may be important to some more than others. Countless times one reads comments that a high end component is incredibly accurate and detailed, but too "clinical" or other negative side effect.

I'm not after soft and soggy, or some kind of artificial rose tinting, but I do know from a lot of experience of hi-fi in general that some neutral components can be more forgiving than others in the way they handle poor recordings. A great component can let you know the differences between good and bad  without making the bad unbearable to listen to. So I'm just trying to get more impressions on where the BHSE sits in this area.

Jul 19, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #210 of 9,882
Of all of the so called reference level systems that I've played with (Most) the OII's and BHSE pairing is among the least analytically "Bright" systems I've heard. The OII's are certainly less in your face than the 404's or HE90's or even my Jades. That being said IMO they will still show what's on a recording, and the wort's will show.

Still with source matching and the right IC's I can't imagine someone being unhappy with a OII BHSE system.

As an example, with a Benchmark DAC1 not so happy.

With a PS Audio PWD much happier.

Or if you're really going crazy.

With DCS, not so Happy.

With the Zanden DAC, very Happy!

It's why there's the term System Matching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back