Head-to-Head: AIAIAI TMA-1 vs. Audio Technica ATH-M50 (TMA-1 Review)
Dec 8, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #31 of 161
I can get them for 150 +tax. This made me want them even more. I'm guessing if I ever find I don't need them I can sell them back right?

Dec 8, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #32 of 161
Where'd you find them at that price? I could only find them for $200

Dec 8, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #33 of 161
"A lot," but not all?  What other questions do you have?  Is there anyone else with any questions?

Listening to a vinyl rip of Ø's Oleva right now through the amp my fiancee graciously let me move into the living room.  Firstly, I forgot what a great use of the media it is.  Secondly, it sounds beyond amazing!  The way the TMA-1 tames the treble, hits on the lows, reproduces the recorded in a cave feeling, and capitalizes on the vinyl's added texture and coloration really brings the record to life!  It feels a bit smaller than the HD600 used presented it due to the naturally smaller closed-back soundstage, but considering everything else that it does better it's well worth the tradeoff.

No, all but actually listening to them. Thanks!

Dec 8, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #35 of 161

Quote:

Agreed that this would be good information to share if it's not strictly an inside deal.  It would give a wider audience the opportunity to give these some head time with minimal concern.  At $150, I think there's enough demand where these could be easily resold.

Dec 8, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #36 of 161
For around the same price and look pretty much the same, I wonder how these compare to the Senn HD 25-i II's.

Dec 8, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #38 of 161
Yeah, I read the review. That being said, AFAIK the HD 25 have more praise than the M50.

Quote:
Quote:
For around the same price and look pretty much the same, I wonder how these compare to the Senn HD 25-i II's.

Read the review, not sure, but were'nt the HD-25's lower down than the M50's when it came to SQ and how much people liked them? This review says they're better than the M50's..

Dec 8, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #39 of 161

Quote:

This isn't the first time this inquiry has been posted and I wish I had first-hand experience with the HD-25 to do a comparison.  Short of hearing them, I would love to read someone else's thoughts.  But hey, I'm in NY and you're in NJ.  Willing to make a 4-5 hour commute up this way? :wink:

Dec 8, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #40 of 161

Quote:
Yeah, I read the review. That being said, AFAIK the HD 25 have more praise than the M50.

Quote:
Quote:

Read the review, not sure, but were'nt the HD-25's lower down than the M50's when it came to SQ and how much people liked them? This review says they're better than the M50's..

Ah, I see. From what I've seen, the M50's get recommended alot more, and the HD-25;s are barely ever mentioned. At least, thats what I see.

I've probably not been here as long as you anyway.

Dec 8, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #43 of 161

Quote:

Quote:

Agreed that this would be good information to share if it's not strictly an inside deal.  It would give a wider audience the opportunity to give these some head time with minimal concern.  At $150, I think there's enough demand where these could be easily resold.

It's more of an inside deal that I got by talking to a few people. Communication is key :)

Dec 8, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #44 of 161
Curly, I'm a bit of a basshead, and I was wondering how the TMA-1's stack up to the M50's in terms of sub-bass quantity.

Dec 8, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #45 of 161

Quote:
Curly, I'm a bit of a basshead, and I was wondering how the TMA-1's stack up to the M50's in terms of sub-bass quantity.

As stated in the initial post, the texture and extension of the TMA-1 is definitively better than the M50.  It does a great job of keeping the bass in the basement of the spectrum, hits hard when called upon to do so, and maintains clarity when things get crowded.  I may be classified as a bit of a "basshead" myself considering that I've owned and enjoyed a Darth Beyer V3 and a Terminator V4.  I've also owned an Ultrasone PRO-900 and HFI-780.  The two Headphiles both have more bass quantity than the TMA-1, but they were more one-note and boomy in presentation.  Two different flavors really.  The Ultrasones... they just don't hold a candle to any of them.  I personally think that the TMA-1 has plenty to offer in the bass department unamped and certainly wouldn't be disappointed in this respect if this were the only means I had to drive them, but amped... I couldn't imagine someone complaining.  Again going back to the initial review, using the variable bass boost on my PPAv2 evinced so much punch that it was pushing enough air to lift the cups off my ears.  To me that's beyond the point of comfortability, so I had to back it down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back