Head gear(headphones, amp, dac) for 1500-1600$
Nov 11, 2012 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Duper

Head-Fier
Hello, I am newbie at hi-fi world. Now i have Sennheiser HD 555 and its borring for me. I am ready to change for something new, I listen music at home and i need open headphones. For new head gear( Headphones, Amp, Dac) i can spend 1500-1600$ Max. Usually i listening Pop (90-2012years), Rock, I like good vocals, sometimes i listen Instrumental, Hip-Hop, Electronic. I dont know how sounds Dark, bright, neutral, bassy (i think it has big bass), tell me about it ? I think to try 3-4 headphones at hi-fi shop. How much time i should test each headphone? which is for me !!! 

Nov 11, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #2 of 22
Heya,

Hifiman HE-500 with Schiit Bifrost & Schiit Lyr

Substitute LCD2 if you want it darker and bassier. Substitute Beyer T1 (used) if you want brighter and wider sound stage. Substitute Sennheiser HD600 if you want a dynamic that is warm neutral. Substitute Beyer DT880 if want a dynamic that is brighter and warm neutral.

Very best,

Nov 12, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:
Hello, I am newbie at hi-fi world. Now i have Sennheiser HD 555 and its borring for me. I am ready to change for something new, I listen music at home and i need open headphones. For new head gear( Headphones, Amp, Dac) i can spend 1500-1600$ Max. Usually i listening Pop (90-2012years), Rock, I like good vocals, sometimes i listen Instrumental, Hip-Hop, Electronic. I dont know how sounds Dark, bright, neutral, bassy (i think it has big bass), tell me about it ? I think to try 3-4 headphones at hi-fi shop. How much time i should test each headphone? which is for me !!! 

If you buy the ODAC+O2 combo (US$300), you have enough (or nearly enough) for

1. Sennheiser HD-700 (which you may find boring)
  2. Sennheiser HD-800 (which you may find boring)
  3. Beyerdynamic T-90
  4. Beyerdynamic T-1
  5. Audeze LCD-2
  6. HiFiMan HE6

and others, many of which are less expensive.

Nov 12, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #5 of 22
Heya,

Hifiman HE-500 with Schiit Bifrost & Schiit Lyr

Substitute LCD2 if you want it darker and bassier. Substitute Beyer T1 (used) if you want brighter and wider sound stage. Substitute Sennheiser HD600 if you want a dynamic that is warm neutral. Substitute Beyer DT880 if want a dynamic that is brighter and warm neutral.

Very best,

+1 for he500..for warmer sound try lafigaro 339/darkvoice 337..and u still have money to spare to buy dac of ur choice. For budget amp..try the matrix m-stage..with class a opa627 mod from tamaudio.com..it can go one on one with much more expensive amps..u will be surprised how good it sounds..also with the he500

Ps. O2 wont be able to drive a he6 in the way they need to.
Ps2 and take ur time to compare...i normally listen at least 15 min each...and take r own source, amplifier/dac and music with u in lossless format...so ur ears can compare. Have fun and good luck with ur chosing.

Nov 12, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #6 of 22
Which would be best for headgear ? ex. This headphones are example i never listen no 1, 

Headphones ~400$/ex. Senn HD 600/650, Beyer DT 880/990, Hifiman HE-400;Amp, Dac ~1200$ 
Headphones ~700$/ex. Hifiman HE-500, Beyer T 70/90; Amp, Dac ~900$
Headphones ~1000$/ex. Audeze LCD 2; Amp,Dac ~600$
Headphones ~1300$/ex. Senn HD 800, Beyer T1;  Amp, dac ~300$

Nov 12, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #7 of 22
Which would be best for headgear ? ex. This headphones are example i never listen no 1, 

Headphones ~400$/ex. Senn HD 600/650, Beyer DT 880/990, Hifiman HE-400;Amp, Dac ~1200$ 
Headphones ~700$/ex. Hifiman HE-500, Beyer T 70/90; Amp, Dac ~900$
Headphones ~1000$/ex. Audeze LCD 2; Amp,Dac ~600$
Headphones ~1300$/ex. Senn HD 800, Beyer T1;  Amp, dac ~300$

If it was me and wanted a set who is good in almost anything u throw at it i would definitely choose the he500...its 699 and the next 900 u can spend on a shiit set..amp and dac..lyr and bifrost?.. Here on the forums its said they pair perfecly with the he500...it has power and sounds good and its not to expensive. I dont have experience with that set..as i dont need a dac and i prefer the amp i have now with my he500..but thats a matter of taste ofcourse. :D

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #8 of 22
What, about Audio gd amp, dac, i asking because it look nice with Hifiman HE-500. HE-500 not dark for industrial and clasic pop, what about electronic and rock? best for my listening music Hifiman HE-500?

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #9 of 22
What, about Audio gd amp, dac, i asking because it look nice with Hifiman HE-500. HE-500 not dark for industrial and clasic pop, what about electronic and rock? best for my listening music Hifiman HE-500?

Audio gd is also good choice..only u need the more expensive amp..dont know the model now..sorry..as that gives enough power to the he500....i play all with my he500...even metallica rock, soul, pop, classical..everything..but also mix..i have flac recordings from a meet between really hardcore metallica groups playing with a classical orchestra..its called rock meets classical..i think..and the he500 does it all..and for the fast paced music..well..i have some high rated bpm music on my hm602 and its sounds great...it even sounds perfect with enya, enigma and the sorts..and heavy hardrock like evenacence..BUT..u need a good amp..and good source! as i have..but for the more modern music u maybe can look at the also excellent he400? Its tuned more fir the american taste..so more tremble and bass heavier..check this forum ..u will read lots of people love the he400.. Even for gaming... And its 300 cheaper!
About audio gd..its certainly more expensive then the shiit combo.
Hope this helped a bit

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #11 of 22
what about slover music like a Bryan adams, Bon Jovi, Evanescence?

Read my post :D evascence? ( with her beautiful voice) well..ever heard angels sing? :wink: i actually mentioned them as an example (u didnt read my post well! Grrr..just kidding) if u read my post again u will see that i mentioned metallica..under that music i also count bon jovi, europe, queen , michael bolton and the sort..bryan addams especially has a very warm voice..and because of the perfect mids on the he500 it does well also.like mariah carey, my wifes favorite, that woman goes superhigh and falls into low octaves in seconds and her music has lots of special effect..very busy music...to be honest..this is the first headphone i heard that does well in almost all kinds of music...but as i said..to do that u have to invest into good source and amp/dac...what i read is that the he400 is tuned specifically for the kind of music u just mentioned..so i would say..try both..WITH a good amp..both need a good one if u wanna get every bit of sound quality out if them..the he400 needs less power..is more tremble and bass heavy tuned then the more neutral he500...and if u do go for a he500.. Pls invest extra for a cable.(.toxic cables in europe or double helix cables in usa have the perfect one for every budget) as the standard silver cable is beeeeeeeeep in my opinion..and if u do go all the way..invest in a good power cable as well..as since today( got my 2! aura power cables deliverd this morning and have been listening all day long!...see my pics if ur interested :D) i now know what a good power cable does for ur amp..especially if u have a 17kg power greedy darkvoice 337 as mine..its eyeopening..never thought it would..so here u have it..first rob a bank and then start ur hifi hobby :p as trust me..when u start it will break ur purse..:D or ur lady/wife will kill ya when she finds out what u spend on ur rig.. :xf_eek:

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #13 of 22
the lyr is hard to beat at it's price, and has the power to handle about anything you buy.  The mjolnir would be the next step up at around $750, but then you would want to run a fully balanced system.

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #14 of 22
the lyr is hard to beat at it's price, and has the power to handle about anything you buy.  The mjolnir would be the next step up at around $750, but then you would want to run a fully balanced system.

Or the yulong a18 sabre.. :D same price range
But yeah..lyr is almost unbeatable..ALMOST.. Step in lafigaro 339/ darkvoice 337 (with the right tubes)..they are a bit more expensive but man..the sound u get for the price!

But shiit combo is a good starting point..u can always tube roll the lyr to improve sound.

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #15 of 22
If you are handling with HE500, HE5LE or HE6 though, you're presented with the unique position of being able to dip into speaker taps that are much cheaper than Lyr but perform better. Note that this does not apply with any other headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back