Head Fidelity Icon set
May 3, 2002 at 4:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

FrostyMMB

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I created an icon set for Mac OS X, made up of a bunch of our favorite headphones. 29 icons in all. There are a few cans that I couldn't find good images for to turn into icons, but I hope everyone enjoys the set.

Head Fidelity Icons for OS X v1.0

If recieve enough outside motivation, I could make a Win XP icon set as well, but I'm undecided. Then again, if someone were willing to increase my financial status...
biggrin.gif

Frosty

May 3, 2002 at 6:21 PM Post #7 of 16
I must admit to being confused...

I downloaded the Stuffit expander (www.stuffit.com) and uncompressed this file only to find that virtually all the files were 0 bytes...

Even though Windows (XP) shouldn't be able to read mac files... surely it should still show the files at their actual size???

May 3, 2002 at 6:38 PM Post #8 of 16
Wow, impressive job on the icons! For the less fortunate, this is what some of them look like, in full size...

icons.jpg

May 3, 2002 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
I downloaded the Stuffit expander (www.stuffit.com) and uncompressed this file only to find that virtually all the files were 0 bytes...

Even though Windows (XP) shouldn't be able to read mac files... surely it should still show the files at their actual size???

It's because they're icon files, Duncan... they don't have any data in them
wink.gif

Here are a couple pix of all the icons -- they scale even bigger, but this was the biggest I could use to get them all in two decent-size shots:

HeadFiIcons1.jpg

HeadFiIcons2.jpg

May 4, 2002 at 12:19 AM Post #10 of 16
Yup, there they are. The icon of the Orpheus named 'Head Fidelity Icons v1.0' is a readme clipping with recognition to the headphone sites.

I will note that these even look good with a colored or pictured window background in the OS X finder—I got the transparency and masking good and there isn't any evidence of a white outline from being cut out from the white backgrounds in the original images. They will also work in OS 9 but will obviously not look as cool with just 32 pixels.

Anyway, if you remember a few weeks ago when I was asking for big pics (pig pics) of cans, this is why. If I can get more nice big shots of the missing cans on white backgrounds, like the Sony CD3000 and or some of the other woody cans, I can release and updated version of the set. Oh and if there are some nice shots of some amps, those could be worked out as well.

May 4, 2002 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 16
Frosty: yep, you got the transparency down VERY well -- good job!

Have you looked at KR's "Lust" page (in his sig)? There are lots of good pix of both headphones and amps there.

P.S. You should submit these to one of the Mac OS X icon sites.

May 4, 2002 at 4:53 AM Post #12 of 16
Yeah, I'll be posting this soon to OS X icon sites. I've checked KR's lust page, but I didn't see a lot of large pictures of cans on white backgrounds. Otherwise they are very difficult to cut out and and the lighting is lacking for icons. Good pics, just not right for the job.

May 4, 2002 at 8:21 PM Post #14 of 16
Doh. I had an image for the mx500s all ready and a few clicks away from being an icon, and I forgot about them. They can wait for an update. Otherwise, I could use the A44s and Etys. The specs for a picture are, ideally, just the headphone at a good viewing angle with a plain white background (no background), and with as few shadows as possible. That way there isn't the hassle of taking a half an hour to get a mediocre cutout and risking accidental selection of part of the headphone and deleting it. So basically it's too difficult (for me anyway) to get a good cutout with multicolored, complicated background. So, most photographs don't work well, unless the headphon can be shot sitting up surrounded by a completely white atmosphere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back