Head-Fi Secret Handshake(Or how to find members in public)
Mar 3, 2006 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

Mikenet

100+ Head-Fier
I saw someone wearing a pair of Grados around their neck on the way to class. The kicker...modded pads
icon10.gif
! I was already late to class, so I didn't have time to stop.

So how do we signal another Head-Fi member in public without looking like a total dork for interrupting their music, making them take off their headphones, and babbling about crazy user names on some internet forum they've never head of? Secret handshake? Special wave? Salute? Bird call? Interpretive dance? Messages encoded in rhythmic pelvic thrusts?

I've seen Grados in public before. But I mean, Grados with non-standard pads...there are probably few people in this world that have replaced Grado pads that aren't either Head-Fi members, or friends of Head-Fi members.

I have this habit of checking out everyone's headphones as they walk by(people must think I'm crazy). I see Grados occasionally. I usually stare them down to see what model(I'm not enough of a Grado geek to separate SR-60s and SR-80s at a distance
tongue.gif
). One guy last week gave me a weird look for staring at him. But for the most part, people are too caught up in their tunes to notice.

I've seen 3 people on 4 occasions wearing Grados over the past week. I've got to do something!

Mar 3, 2006 at 8:55 AM Post #2 of 74
This is something I ponder when I'm on the L... A lot of people wear headphones and a small percentage of them are decent. But I've never asked the Head-Fi question!

Actually I almost did a couple of days ago because I ran into someone else wearing HD280s... Anyone who wears those for commuting must be a Head-Fier!

Mar 3, 2006 at 9:23 AM Post #3 of 74
See, for the most part I figure they aren't members. One of the guys in my physics class was wearing some Shure IEMs, so I struck up a conversation. Turns out he's a sound engineer, and Shure gave them out to try to convince them to have people wear them on stage. We started talking about amps and DACs. It was fun. But not a Head-Fi member.

But modded pads. Hey, if any UCLA Grado users are reading this...I saw you today!

Mar 3, 2006 at 9:26 AM Post #4 of 74
Shure >.< lol
I'm still in high school, so I've only seen one person with decent phones (shure e3c) and I once saw someone with sennheiser px100's.

Mar 3, 2006 at 9:35 AM Post #5 of 74
I'm incredibly sleep deprived. My spelling skills are...not there. If I had any in the first place. Post edited. No one saw that.

Anyway, any ideas for a secret signal? I mean, if people are interested in high end headphones, it would be nice to turn them on to the forum if they aren't already a member. But sometimes there's a slim chance and you just don't want to interrupt someone. What's a good headphone related hand signal? That doesn't make you appear to be mocking the person.

Mar 3, 2006 at 9:42 AM Post #6 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikenet
I'm incredibly sleep deprived. My spelling skills are...not there. If I had any in the first place. Post edited. No one saw that.

Anyway, any ideas for a secret signal? I mean, if people are interested in high end headphones, it would be nice to turn them on to the forum if they aren't already a member. But sometimes there's a slim chance and you just don't want to interrupt someone. What's a good headphone related hand signal? That doesn't make you appear to be mocking the person.

Just exchange empty wallets!
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 10:51 AM Post #9 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsabo
Buy a Head-Fi T-shirt and wear nothing else ever.

What no trousers
eek.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 11:41 AM Post #11 of 74
This is easy! If you suspect that man across from you is a fellow Head-Fier then you perform the HF "secret" move which consists of the following:

Stand on one leg, grab your foot with your right arm, poke your tongue out and wink with your right eye. This secret move will alert any fellow Head-Fier's and let them know you are the real deal.

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #14 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
They don't wear trousers in America Steve, they wander about in "pants"
tongue.gif

better yet blue jeans, but not necessary blue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back