Head Fi - Reflection of Economy?
Dec 6, 2008 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

BigEat

500+ Head-Fier
I have a theory that Head Fi tracks the economy. Note the up-tick in items for sale. Perhaps my imagination, but I note on any random page there are anywhere from two to four "FS" tag lines. That seems like an increase.

Note also. Headroom's discontinuation of the "Max line". Final runs of Edition 9. Huge subscription for the RS P-51 (great value at a relatively low price for "high end" SQ).

Finally. Note more discussions of "value" and in particular portables. Virtually no new threads that say "Just Got my Meridian 808.2 and Boy am I Glad I dropped $14,000"

Thoughts?

Dec 6, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #2 of 13
Hardly a surprise.
Since the world economy have suffered some major loss the last 2-4 months, and hence even Head-Fi'ers try to recover some cash by selling some gear.

After all higher end music reproduction gear are luxury items, and are probably one of the first thing to be cut down on if you're in a troublesome financial situation.
Luckily I am doing just fine!
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hardly a surprise.
Since the world economy have suffered some major loss the last 2-4 months, and hence even Head-Fi'ers try to recover some cash by selling some gear.

After all higher end music reproduction gear are luxury items, and are probably one of the first thing to be cut down on if you're in a troublesome financial situation.
Luckily I am doing just fine!
biggrin.gif

The current FX rate sucks anyway.

Dec 6, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #4 of 13
The FX rate has killed it. You guys should put on an FX hedge. I suspect it's likely to whipsaw back around at some point.

Dec 6, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 13
Yes the economy has caused an slow down in most people spending habits. Even here!

However, in my case I am looking to upgrade my transport and to purchase a laptop. So I am selling a couple of headphones to partially finance the upgrade.

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 13
It's also near Christmas, which is a time of higher trade anyway. There's always more stuff up for sale because there's traditionally more people interested in buying. You shouldn't be getting FS tags on most pages because they should only ever be in the FS forums too.

The Edition 9 point isn't relevant because it was always intended as a limited run product, it just happens that the run end is coinciding with this time.

Every 6 months Rays newest smallest giant killer little amp becomes a FOTM, the P-51 doesn't change anything there. Whatever slightly smaller and just as good aircraft model comes next will I'm sure also have its list of subscribers, and I'd wager that a good slice of them are the ones who bought the previous three models too. Good if you're in the market for an old Hornet I guess.

Threads rejoicing in the buying of really top end stuff have never been common even before now. Last one that springs to mind was a splurge out on the Precide Flagship combo. And theres the tentative and ongoing excitment over the Jade electrostatic headphone. If you count from when the prototypes first started filtering through the news sieve as this "orpheus clone" people had heard at meets, its easily been more than a year since it first appeared.

By the same measure, there have always been large numbers of threads asking what the best for very little money is, both in amplification headphones and sources. Whereupon you get all the passionless debate, although "you should buy what I've got because It's the best I've heard" throwing is probably a better term for it.

Theres also been a large shift in currency balance in many markets over the last 3 months or so. Sterling has dropped nearly 30% against the USD, and similar to the Euro. It's probably going to drop further still. This makes selling from the UK to outside more attractive. I cant specifically comment on other countries.

ramble ramble ramble

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The current FX rate sucks anyway.

It sucks for importing, but is quite nice for exporting. Maybe another reason we se so many FS threads these days.
I get 40% less for my NOK in USD now than some 3 months ago. But get equally more for my USD in NOK.

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #8 of 13
It seems to me most audio forums are seeing a huge uptick in sales of used goods. Check out AudioCircle for example.

Makes sense that people are trying to free up money. Some good deals out there for those with money.

Dec 6, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #9 of 13
Not sure this is a measure of the economy or the holiday season. Typically resale goes up during the holidays in order to free up funds for travel/gifts etc. I would also guess that people are trying to get ready to upgrade their systems with the next year models.

However as headphones cd players basically anything high-fi is simply a luxury item you have to look at the demographic buying the high end. Those who are buying 14k dollar cd players without having to think about it arent going to feel this economy flux nearly as badly as those who have to think for a month about dropping 250 on headphones.

All depends on the situation though,

Dave

Dec 6, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 13
I'd have to concur. Go take a peek up on Audiogon and see how many Michigan folks are selling their expensive gear due to "economic circumstances". I don't know if I'd post that in my ad...I suspect that it would lead to a LOT of lowball offers. Never ceases to amaze me how some folks feel no remorse about taking advantage of someone else's personal cirucmstances.

Dec 6, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #11 of 13
I agree with Duggeh, it is mainly because of the Chrismas, people may just want to sell their used toys before getting new one.

Dec 6, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #12 of 13
I've cut back, though I'm not in trouble. Same job, everything seems OK, but I'm getting rid of stuff I don't use and don't really need. Debt isn't a problem, but I'll kill off what there is in the next two months.

Instead of toys, I'm shifting to investment. A lot of good stocks are undervalued right now. And while real property hasn't bottomed yet, I think it will in 2009, maybe 2010. Also, the market tends to undershoot and overshoot, so I'll get some investment property when it dips below where it would make a profit as a rental.

Times are tough, but there's no better time to look at the long term. I stayed away from real property and stock a couple years ago; they were seriously overvalued. Today, they're becoming bargains. I've got enough toys to be happy for years; time to put cash where it will pay off.

Dec 6, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #13 of 13
Yeah, I'm cutting back in spending in anticipation of the real estate market bottoming out in a year or two... saving up to buy myself a house around that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back