Head-Fi Recommended Components
Mar 27, 2006 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

seacard

1000+ Head-Fier
We've seen what Stereophile recommends, but the consensus seems to be that they don't know what they're talking about. So what would the Head-Fi list look like?

Headphones (stock, non-IEM)

Class A:

Sennheiser HE90
Sony MDR-R10
Sony Qualia 010
AKG K1000
Stax Omega II
Sennheiser HE60

Class AB:

AudioTechnica L3000
Grado PS-1
Grado HP1000

Class B:

Sennheiser HD650
Sennheiser HD600
Sony MDR-SA5000
AKG K701
AKG K601
Beyerdynamic DT880
Stax 4040
AudioTechnica W5000
AudioTechnica AD2000
Grado RS-1

Class C:
Sony MDR-SA3000
Sony MDR-CD3000
AKG K501
Sennheiser HD595
Sennheiser HD580
Beyerdynamic DT990
Audiotechnica A900LTD
Audiotechnica W2002
Grado SR325i
Stax 3030

Obviously, this is all very gear-dependent, so I guess I'm talking about maximum potential when matched with the right amp and source and interconnects.

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 46
Well, I haven't heard the HF-1, but my understanding is that it is in about the same category as the SR325i, so I figured I would just keep that one in there. I decided to limit it to 10 headphones per class (otherwise, the list gets way too unwieldy). I put in the CD3000 and the W2002 at the last second instead of the AKG K340 and the Koss ESP-950, so the list is subject to change.

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #4 of 46
Good idea (though one may not be able to get people to agree which group to put a specific model in), but I think coverage of the lower price regions (with a higher "crap rate") would be even more important.

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 46
If you heard A900 and A900LTD briefly then I should honour your list
smily_headphones1.gif
Otherwise A900 should be in "C" and A900LTD should be in "B" category.

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 46
sgrossklass -

I agree that such a list would also be very useful, but that's a different list. I also think HeadRoom does a fairly good job giving the value rating for the cheaper headphones.

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #7 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard
Well, I haven't heard the HF-1, but my understanding is that it is in about the same category as the SR325i, so I figured I would just keep that one in there. I decided to limit it to 10 headphones per class (otherwise, the list gets way too unwieldy). I put in the CD3000 and the W2002 at the last second instead of the AKG K340 and the Koss ESP-950, so the list is subject to change.

Yeah-I was only kidding.When you make a list such as that there are going to be a lot of people asking about their favorite-some of them seriously

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #9 of 46
I'm sorry, but I honestly do not see any value in a list like this. Taste is divided and so are the preferences to headphones and related equipment: It will be impossible for the Head-Fi.org community to agree on such a list. Besides, who would want one and for what purpose? I don't need anybody to tell me what I find sounds good or not.

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
If you heard A900 and A900LTD briefly then I should honour your list
smily_headphones1.gif
Otherwise A900 should be in "C" and A900LTD should be in "B" category.

I respectfully disagree, but of course this is very subjective. First, I'm not a huge fan of the Audiotechnicas in general. But even beyond that (and I tried really hard to look past that), while every headphone may have some shortcoming, I think the the A900ltd has many more shortcomings than any headphone in Class B (AKG K701, HD650, DT880, etc.). Also, in my experience, closed headphones will rarely compete with open headphones in a similar price range.

Finally, I should note that I'm using classical and jazz as my benchmarks. Some headphones may be better for rap, or R&B, etc., but that's not my area of expertise.

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #11 of 46
You may want to pop in a BB category. The 325i and MS2i are a good deal better than some of the headphones listed in the C category. The 225 would fit there better.

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
I'm sorry, but I honestly do not see any value in a list like this. Taste is divided and so are the preferences to headphones and related equipment: It will be impossible for the Head-Fi.org community to agree on such a list. Besides, who would want one and for what purpose? I don't need anybody to tell me what I find sounds good or not.

Well, of course it's impossible to agree on a list, but I am not sure why that's a reason not to make one. American Film Institute comes out with best movies list. Does that mean that we all have to agree that Godfather or Gone With The Wind are the best movies ever made? No. Every city has a restaurant guide that lists the best restaurants in a list. Does that mean than an expensive French restaurant is objectively the best? Of course not. We have lists of top colleges, greatest soccer players, best authors, and many many other complete subjective categories. Why not have one for the hobby that we all love?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
You may want to pop in a BB category. The 325i and MS2i are a good deal better than some of the headphones listed in the C category. The 225 would fit there better.

I agree. However, I really wanted to stay away from these half-categories. I just couldn't in good faith put the L3000 and the two Grados into the same class as the Omega II, or HE90, or the R10.

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #13 of 46
Quote:

I respectfully disagree, but of course this is very subjective. First, I'm not a huge fan of the Audiotechnicas in general. But even beyond that (and I tried really hard to look past that), while every headphone may have some shortcoming, I think the the A900ltd has many more shortcomings than any headphone in Class B (AKG K701, HD650, DT880, etc.). Also, in my experience, closed headphones will rarely compete with open headphones in a similar price range.

Finally, I should note that I'm using classical and jazz as my benchmarks. Some headphones may be better for rap, or R&B, etc., but that's not my area of expertise.

I also respect your openions though. But it must be titled as your favourite list rather then Head-Fi favorite list. As you told you dont like Audiotechnica's sound while many members here likes them too much. How Head-Fi list be evaluated by just one person's openion ?

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

. Does that mean that we all have to agree that Godfather or Gone With The Wind are the best movies ever made?

Come on, I think we can all agree that Godfather is the best movie ever made.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back