Head-Fi newcomer - recommendations?
Jul 17, 2011 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

LostArk

Head-Fier

I am looking for headphones for listening at home. I will be using them primarily with my laptop while relaxing in bed, and occasionally with my desktop PC. I know that I would get better quality if I used an external DAC/AMP, but I don't like the idea of having to fuss with extra connections and wires, so I'm looking for something that sounds good being driven by a laptop or PC. 

I have previously owned two pairs of headphones, and I will give my impression of both of them to aid in recommendations:

Sennheiser HD280
Pros:
- detailed

Cons:
- clinical
- extremely uncomfortable

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80
Pros:
- clarity
- bass feels like I have two subwoofers on my head
- extremely comfortable

Cons:
- muddied and recessed mids
- bass feels like I have two subwoofers on my head

I'm looking for something neutral, leaning towards warm if I had to choose. I listen to a lot of rock & metal so mids are important. I prefer tight, punchy bass as opposed to head-rumbling. Comfort is also an issue - I have TMJ, and I get referred pain in my left ear which is often triggered/exacerbated by headphone use. To date the DT770 is the only headphone I've been able to wear longer than 30 minutes without pain. The large, soft velour pads distribute the lightweight headphones perfectly. For this reason I'm scared too look at manufacturers other than Byer, but their lineup doesn't look like it has anything that would meet my needs other than the DT880 32 ohm. But $300 for a headphone I'll be using with a laptop? I was hoping to spend less than $200… 

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back