Head-Fi, I need your help.
Mar 25, 2006 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Alu

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I wanted to buy a pair of B&W rear speakers, namely the 601, for my HT. And I got a great deal on used ones on eBay.

Look what I got:

Pic 1
Pic 2
How it should look like. (The other one)

Yea...one of them is damaged obviously. The tweeter has fallen inside of the box. I already contacted the seller, who's given me a positive feedback alright, and I'm waiting for a response. However I'm thinking that it wasn't his fault and that the transport of the item did this.

Is there anything I can do to "repair" it? Opening up the box? Where? Any diyers that could help me out here?

EDIT: Hmm...maybe I should've posted this in the DIY Forums. Could any moderator move it there please?

Mar 25, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 16
Hey, sorry about the damaged speakers. It's awful to get something new and find it damaged like that.

But the fix appears to be easy. From what I can see in your photos, it looks like the glue holding the tweeters in gave way. I'd suspect the package got dropped somewhere along the way.

The best way to access that appears to be removing the woofer. If you don't have a set of Allen (hex) wrenches already, go pick one up for a few dollars at a hardware store. Once you get the woofers out, you should have no trouble pulling the tweeters out and gluing them back into place.

One thing I'd be careful with is making sure the depth of both tweeters is the same. If not, you could run into some phasing inaccuracies. Probably the simplest wayof doing this is just marking the depth of one on a stick or piece of card stock, and then making sure the other one matches.

Hope you can fix these and start enjoying them-

Mar 25, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 16
the good news is the above post.the bad news is they were most likely tossed around after the tweeter drop out and that means potential tweeter dome damage or even other damge inside the cabinet (crossover,wiring,mid-woofer cone).Shipping and loose parts do not mix.

Go easy,open it up to asses the damage if any as step #1 before you can know how to proceed (who to bill )

Mar 25, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 16
Thanks for the help guys.

Ok so I removed those screws that hold the woofer, but I couldn't remove it. It seems to be glued to the speakerbox...because even applying force won't do. Now, there's a way to open the back of the box, but the opening seems to be too tight to do anything, I'll try opening it again and I'll post some pictures.

Something else happened, 2 obviously broken parts fell out of the speaker.

Damn.
Damn, another angle.

Mar 25, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 16
Kinda figured something like that.when you get one part go off the farm it usually rattles around and takes out a few buddies in the process.

If this is a UPS deal try to get them to make it right but other than that I don't really think you have much of a claim on the seller unless he in fact tried to pull a fast one and pre-packaged damged goods.

good luck

Mar 25, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 16
I had a similar issue with a pair of speakers I sold. Fedex dropped the box which was obvious from a split in the box they were in. I made a claim and 2 months later they made good. They paid the cost to replace a damaged driver. I would make a claim against UPS. The shipper may have to do it. In my case, Fedex required me (the shipper) to make the claim. Take pics of the damage to the speaker. Also, examine the box to see if there is any evidence it was dropped or damaged.

Mar 25, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #8 of 16
This package came with the "Deutsche Post" from Germany...I doubt that I can do anything there. And I really can't blame the seller here.

Well...at least I managed to locate the little devil:

Here.

Mar 25, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I had a similar issue with a pair of speakers I sold. Fedex dropped the box which was obvious from a split in the box they were in. I made a claim and 2 months later they made good. They paid the cost to replace a damaged driver. I would make a claim against UPS. The shipper may have to do it. In my case, Fedex required me (the shipper) to make the claim. Take pics of the damage to the speaker. Also, examine the box to see if there is any evidence it was dropped or damaged.

Well, I guess I could always try, seems as if there wouldn't be any other option to solve this mess for now.

Mar 26, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #10 of 16
from that picture it looks like you dodged a bullet and the only damage is to the mounting plate.Of all the possible scenarios the best one.

Order a new plate and pop it on
icon10.gif

Mar 26, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
from that picture it looks like you dodged a bullet and the only damage is to the mounting plate.Of all the possible scenarios the best one.

Order a new plate and pop it on
icon10.gif

I don't want to sound like a moron here, but where do I do this?

...ah...all this trouble just now when I assembled all the necessary parts for my HT...

Mar 26, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

I don't want to sound like a moron here, but where do I do this?

B&W service department.

Send them an email explaining your problem,include the last picture then add the model number and serial number of your speakers to validate them.

Mar 26, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #15 of 16
Looks like a factory defect- Screw holding tweeter to frame was overtorqued and stress fractured, or less common would be a flaw when molded. Whether seller knew or not, I suspect it was already damaged pre-ship. Maybe seller glued it together or maybe it lead a gentle life and looked ok pre-ship, then shipping that wouldn't have otherwise fully broken it off, did the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back