Head-fi Google Earth map layer?
Oct 29, 2008 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

acidbasement

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm a bit of a geography geek, and for my work I've been developing databases that export georeferenced data to KML text files, which are readable by Google Earth and Google Maps among other programs. I think it would be cool to have optional latitude/longitude fields in our user profiles, and a button to download a KML file of head-fier locations, so that we can see where people live - other information could be incorporated too, like profile pic, head-fi post count/level, and even gear inventory. It would probably be best to fudge your location a few hundred meters or more, in order not to make yourself a headphone thief's target.

I think this would be pretty neat. It would make organizing local head-fi meets much easier, because you could just look at the map layer in Google Earth and see who lives in your city and what gear they have. Send a few PMs, and you have a meet!

This type of thing is pretty easy to build in MS Access, and I expect it would be similarly easy with whatever database platform head-fi uses.
Would this be cool or not?

Oct 29, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 27
I agree that it is a thievery risk, so what about just city location information?

I think that would be almost as useful. You could get someone's contact info and talk to them and maybe set something up.

Oct 29, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 27
Instead of city designators I'd suggest using zip codes. Or would that be too specific a locator that would make folks nervous about disclosing the information?

Oct 29, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jernmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that it is a thievery risk, so what about just city location information?

Well, not all of us live in cities for one thing. The nearest city to me is three hours away by car.
smily_headphones1.gif
If I were concerned about thievery I would just pick a random point a few miles away and use the coordinates associated with that point. It would also probably be possible in the back-end of head-fi's database to use a random number generator to add or subtract a random amount (within a few miles) from each coordinate as well, so that nobody even has the option of giving their precise location.

Oct 29, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Instead of city designators I'd suggest using zip codes. Or would that be too specific a locator that would make folks nervous about disclosing the information?

Good idea, but it wouldn't work outside the US. I think it would also be a lot more work to develop, because someone would have to add coordinate information to all zip/postal codes on the planet. Lat/long coordinates are much easier because they are universal (well, global
tongue.gif
) and they are what Google uses to draw map layers.

Oct 29, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #8 of 27
I live within a distance of 10 miles of this point (paste into Google Maps):
59°55N 10°44E

I wont be more specific...
popcorn.gif

Getting it into system on a map would be great. I have some weak memories of seeing something like that in here earlier on, but can't find it.

Oct 29, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #9 of 27
Here's a thought: if the database only allows 2 decimal places in your lat/long coordinates, your location has roughly +/- 0.6 miles of error, depending on your latitude. Problem solved, unless you are the only house within a two-mile radius, in which case you either may wish to add an additional fudge factor, or you are not concerned about thievery due to your remote location.

Oct 29, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #11 of 27
My first idea was yeah cool. Though people can easily check what gear you have at what location. Too risky and I don't think we should allow it.

Oct 29, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #12 of 27
I live within a few km of 50.683462,-99.531927

apatN, you're right that people can check your location from your profile, but at present we do not have the ability to see all the members from a given area, and this would be a fun and practical way to do that. If a 1-km limit (ie. limit lat/longs to 2 decimal places) is placed on the accuracy of the location, there is really no risk of targeting by thieves.

Oct 29, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #13 of 27
It's fun, sure. I, however live in a village that has around 130 houses. Some people already know my first name, and you know, I am the only Nick.
wink.gif
You only need to know my surname to look me up in the phone book and you know my address. It can all be acquired on the internet.

Now, I'm not that paranoid but if I happen to have a 3K rig and I would post my exact place.. Meh.. Having this head-fi layer is all just a bit too much. It makes it too easy.

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #15 of 27
maybe instead of just changing it a bit we could just choose a public place in the town we live in and post those. maybe the nearest park to our houses or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back