Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Jan 8, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #10,156 of 12,587
  I'm new to this basshead stuff.  I've always been a neutral can user, but lately I'm liking IEM more than big cans and something about bassy IEMs is really nice.  Sony XB90 are my newest buy and I'm ridiculously impressed w/ what these can do w/ amp and EQ.  

This list got me to update my amazon wishlist real quick.

Don't take my previous comment the wrong way. I was happy to see HBB had favorable impressions of some new IEMS i have never heard yet. But the XB90 has been the only iem i own for many months and soon it will be a year with nothing but the xb90ex. I have heard many others and none interest me. I gave away  all my free review IEMs, i sold or gave away all my other IEMs, and until I see proof the 90EX is officially old news for its price (and that will have to be a VERY damn fine sub $100 16mm driver) it's as far as I'm concerned a winner. Plus I know BA's are the trend with the treble happy crew who cares more about linear graphs than sound and all my experience even with the Aurisonics line over and over has led me to believe that those BA's aren't helping anyone for anything. unless you like your ears to sweat more than is natural.

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #10,157 of 12,587

Enjoy the ex90xb
Most bass able IEM do not have as big a stage and as good a mids.

I would not spend another dime unless it were to get the 800ST or 1000 EX series since you are cool with amp and EQ.  The detail in the minutia of the sonics is
very impressive.

If this is a hobby and the discovery is the fun which for many it is then by all means but if you are a multi genre' listening power user you are close to the top. 10x more money will not yield even 2x more quality......(i.e. bass to mid transition,stage)

my 2 cents

Damn, the 7550, which I thought were US versions of the 800ST, were just $200 on Amazon a few days ago.  I add to my cart and the price goes up to $272 overnight.  I'm still thinking about getting them, even though they're more expensive than my current "nicest" pair of IEMs, MEE P1.  Part of the fun in this hobby is taking the risk on someone's recommendations.  

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #10,158 of 12,587
  Damn, the 7550, which I thought were US versions of the 800ST, were just $200 on Amazon a few days ago.  I add to my cart and the price goes up to $272 overnight.  I'm still thinking about getting them, even though they're more expensive than my current "nicest" pair of IEMs, MEE P1.  Part of the fun in this hobby is taking the risk on someone's recommendations.  

The 7550 when taped are kings of ear killing. Been doing this for a minute or two and those are the only ones to cause lasting physical pain. The cord is crap city and they are not great outdoors if un tapped.

EX1000 is the ultimate basshead/audiophile challenge. Getting a seal is challenge #1 then finding a eq that matches your taste is #2 then you get that moment when deep thoughts drift through your mind...

Why are these not more than cult classics?
Do tours and # of reviews create false impressions of quality?
Did Sony lose it's best techs in a horrible unreported accident around 2013?

I am same as Vapman in the sense that most stuff leaves me and other things....a few... never do.

Please consider before following my recs that I have a developing bias towards Sony. They throw 50 things against the wall and hope 1 or 2 stick. I got the xb90, 800ST,ex1000 years after release and now 1R BT MK2 which i got today since I wanted the best over ear bluetooth i could find. Went to Hiroshima and listened to buncha stuff and there is a Sony from 2014 mixed in and kicking BT butt.

The Sony team on Head-fi think I am in Hawaii while I am actually in Japan. They are clueless to my existence and that is kinda good. Every Sony was considered and bought with my own money at full price. (The ma900 was given to me by a shop owner) Bass is not what brought me to Sony it was EQ'ing bass for a bass guitar and using lots of Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin to do that and found details not heard on many IEM far faaaaar more expensive. I got rid of the flotsam and invested in cables for all of them cuz I had nothing to spend on in the IEM dept.

That xb90ex is insane. Cable cost more than the IEM and I am so damned pleased about that
BOOOOM!!

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #10,159 of 12,587
Quick question for those of you with 7550/800ST, do you notice the IEM's getting warm in your ear with the vents taped when being cranked at full tilt? I ask because mine get pretty damn warm, and just wanted to see if that was common. I'm assuming it's because they are designed to be fully vented, and the tape with the small hole isn't allowing them to stay cool when they are in full basshead mode. 

It's not like they got hot to the touch, but they get warm for sure. Enough that I can actually feel it in my ears when I am wearing them. 

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #10,160 of 12,587
didn't expect hb liking pm4 lol its still available on amazon UK etc, and still be available in master version which is like a few months. I just want to note it has bass even without an amp hardware bass or bass eq. My next buy is probably nobles, I have my basshead iem sorted. hihi

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #10,161 of 12,587
  Quick question for those of you with 7550/800ST, do you notice the IEM's getting warm in your ear with the vents taped when being cranked at full tilt? I ask because mine get pretty damn warm, and just wanted to see if that was common. I'm assuming it's because they are designed to be fully vented, and the tape with the small hole isn't allowing them to stay cool when they are in full basshead mode. 

It's not like they got hot to the touch, but they get warm for sure. Enough that I can actually feel it in my ears when I am wearing them. 

The motor structure of the drivers are typical and have a ccaw . When energy is sent beyond it's max continuous input rating the wires give off heat that can be felt. The most common type of "blown driver" is actually the scorching of a micro layer of lamination that coats those tiny wires. It's called de laminating. You can watch videos on youtube of folks blowing up huge subwoofers by increasing the power and the voicecoil fries miliseconds before the structure fails and breaks apart.

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #10,162 of 12,587
So am I pushing them too hard when they get warm like that, or is a little warmth okay? Just want to make sure I don't damage my precious 7550's, they are my favorite IEM. 

And I have you to thank HBB for helping me discover them, thanks again for all the amazing work you do for the community here. 

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #10,163 of 12,587
  So am I pushing them too hard when they get warm like that, or is a little warmth okay? Just want to make sure I don't damage my precious 7550's, they are my favorite IEM. 

And I have you to thank HBB for helping me discover them, thanks again for all the amazing work you do for the community here. 

I don't really participate here but I check this thread everyday and read the stuff that each one shares.. Amazing stuff!

Just want to thank HBB because I bought 800ST & MA900 based on his recommendation and they are mind blowing. If at all I buy anything again, it has to be recommended by HBB. Won't buy otherwise. I am listening to some Binaural recordings on MA900 and the soundstage literally gives me goosebumps!

Thank you HBB for what you are doing to this community. 

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #10,164 of 12,587
Just preordered the trinity phantom master. It looks like revised/improved PM4. Used the upgrade code for great price. I have the phantom sabre with the same push/pull tech. The sabre has great bass. I wonder if it's the same as PM4

Good luck with that. I was lucky enough to cancel my PM6 before they started enforcing the cancellation fee. Got the LZA4 and Magaosi K3 now. Super content with them. Forget being a TA guinea pig

Jan 8, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #10,165 of 12,587
Good luck with that. I was lucky enough to cancel my PM6 before they started enforcing the cancellation fee. Got the LZA4 and Magaosi K3 now. Super content with them. Forget being a TA guinea pig

how's lz a4 was considering those, gets nice reviews.
perhaps one can buy pm4 and transfer it's bas and resistor to xba 90? haha and figure which is better
the two dds in pm4 are basically like hyperion dynamics. Those are subbassy. Getting quality bas for mids and high. Duno where to buy those.
I like pm4 perhaps it's missing that satisfying bass bloatedness that xb90 has

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #10,166 of 12,587

I don't really participate here but I check this thread everyday and read the stuff that each one shares.. Amazing stuff!

Just want to thank HBB because I bought 800ST & MA900 based on his recommendation and they are mind blowing. If at all I buy anything again, it has to be recommended by HBB. Won't buy otherwise. I am listening to some Binaural recordings on MA900 and the soundstage literally gives me goosebumps!

Thank you HBB for what you are doing to this community. 

Thanks for the trust.
Those are 2 awesome pieces of gear.

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #10,168 of 12,587
The model I'm interested in is the nhr31. It looks like the NHR21 but with removable cable. The NHR21 is really good, about the only thing I wished it had was a removable cable. I plan on getting the nhr31 as soon as I see it available. I wish there was someone here who represented Radius. I'd love to talk to them.

I found a site in india with it, whis has it for over 2million rupees (im in America so I had to google the transfer.. that came to $30,000) so I would refrain from that option! :frowning2:

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #10,169 of 12,587

I found a site in india with it, whis has it for over 2million rupees (im in America so I had to google the transfer.. that came to $30,000) so I would refrain from that option! :frowning2:

I have the 31. I bought it from headphone.com for $179. They sound just like the 21 but are much more sensitive and therefore are louder at any level. I put balanced cables on them and they sound much better. I just wish they weren't so sensitive.

Jan 10, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #10,170 of 12,587
Check this I put one flare dynamic I had left over in spare pm4 iem that company replaced. Basically have flare driver in pm4. Basically flare dynamic in pm4 bass and nice things that flare is good at mids pianos guitars, the right pm4 is regular volume is equal which is nice, so much more micro detailing from left iem. hm nice would have thrown away both of them otherwise scrap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back