Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Mar 22, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #5,236 of 12,591
I have the Elecom 15.4mm DD coming. Should be interesting. Anyone who wants in on a listen let me know. I'm sending them out to my fellow bassheads once I get them.

You already ordered them? damn!

Have you heard the MDR 7550? I feel like i should send those out on a mini-tour to bassheads who don't know the true power of the 7550.

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #5,237 of 12,591
Yes, ordered last night. $32 with expedited shipping.

Have not heard the 7550 yet. They are on my list of things to buy. But at the bottom of the list since I have the Xb90ex already. Figured since they are similar I'd rather upgrade my source.

Mojo and Fiio X7 first, then the Sonys. At that point I'll already have my Tralucent Audio Ref 1 Too. That's my personal end game iem. For me, there is no better.

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #5,238 of 12,591
My FA Eternas had just died, so I'm looking to pickup something new.  Through reviews, I'm thinking either the MDR 7550 or the ASG Kicker.  They seem to be at the same price right now.  I do not have an amp right now so I'm leaning more towards the Kicker (1st page said they were good even without an amp).  MDR 7550 is #2 on the list though, is highly recommended, and originally costs more I think.  But I'm not sure if I would be able to enjoy it without an amp.  Thoughts?

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #5,241 of 12,591
  My FA Eternas had just died, so I'm looking to pickup something new.  Through reviews, I'm thinking either the MDR 7550 or the ASG Kicker.  They seem to be at the same price right now.  I do not have an amp right now so I'm leaning more towards the Kicker (1st page said they were good even without an amp).  MDR 7550 is #2 on the list though, is highly recommended, and originally costs more I think.  But I'm not sure if I would be able to enjoy it without an amp.  Thoughts?

Kicker is a bit better if you want to not amp. the 7550 are fine without an amp - but you won't get the bass you want.

7550 would give you better bass if & when you got an amp.

@jincuteguy I don't know if anyone but HBB has heard both the 7550 and the Lear, but I am trying to get my hands on the Lear so i can know what it sounds like.

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #5,243 of 12,591
  @vapman Don't know if you already mention it.

7550/800st or asg-b.  Bass and sound as a whole

They're so similar. When you put three layers of tape over the vent of the 7550 the difference is so small between the two. ASG-B needs more power so it' difficult to compare as they need different volume levels.

ASG-B wins on bass refinement and depth.

Triple taped 7550 wins on quantity, impact and sub bass rumble.

Sound as a whole - this is where it gets difficult. the ASG-B is basically a closed vent 2.5 with the 2 BA's ripped out. There is detail on the mids and highs but the bass overwhelms it. If it had some BA's added you'd get a sound like the 2.5. Even with the tape the 7550 is more balanced. The ASG-B was made with "screw the treble range, all in on bass" in mind but it doesn't muddy those higher frequencies at all. They're just a lot more laid back than the 7550 and may be way too laid back for some people. The 7550 will easily give an engaging and lively sound when amped, but the ASG-B will be like, "this is all the gain you can give me? pfft..."

I may rescind the ASG-B classified I posted, the two are real similar but I'm remembering why I wanted to keep these around now... despite being so dark and hard to drive they sound so lush and smooth. ASG 2.5 owners know what i'm talking about. So I'm having second thoughts on moving them quite yet... but I want to try all the new stuff... argh!

The 7550 I pick up when I want the maximum impact and nothing but the impact. The ASG-B I pick up when I want detail over quantity or really don't want the treble too high in the mix so I can crank the volume and have a comfortable sound that isn't piercing my ears with mids and highs getting too loud.

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #5,245 of 12,591
  Great comparison my man.

I'll scratch the asg-b off the list then.  Got the 2.5 and love them, but just like HBB, I've had some bad experience with their CS too.  Thats why I don't rec them.

Since you own the 2.5 I just say take your EQ and roll off the highs fairly aggressively and close the vents 90% of te way... you'll have the ASG-B sound.

Mar 22, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #5,246 of 12,591
Don't sell the asg-b bro. Unique iem that you may not be able to purchase again.

I'm really curious as to how the Elecom thing is going to sound. That 15.4mm DD has me drooling...

I will have my Tralucent Ref 1 Too in a couple of weeks too. Can't wait. Good times coming for me!!!

Mar 22, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #5,247 of 12,591

Since you own the 2.5 I just say take your EQ and roll off the highs fairly aggressively and close the vents 90% of te way... you'll have the ASG-B sound.

More rolled off then the 2.5?!  thats insane...  I'm treble sensitive and the roll off on the 2.5 is just perfect where I can listen all day and not get fatigued.  

I'm gonna go try it now
biggrin.gif

Don't sell the asg-b bro. Unique iem that you may not be able to purchase again.

I'm really curious as to how the Elecom thing is going to sound. That 15.4mm DD has me drooling...

I will have my Tralucent Ref 1 Too in a couple of weeks too. Can't wait. Good times coming for me!!!

Can't wait for mine to get here too 
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #5,250 of 12,591

The AD01's might be worth looking into if you are going without an amp. The bass and overall sound to me is better than the kickers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back