Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
May 31, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #601 of 12,591

I did give the second Generation of the Vpulse to my sisters son, I am not if anything inside did Change, but the Young man is very happy with them and he listen to anything from hiphop to prog. I just wonder why there is Little to find about Velodyne as they are very famous in Europe for their subwoofers, so they are able to speak a word about deep bass. I think at 90 Dollar they are hard to beat for what they deliver. It would not be honest to compare them with the ASG 2.5 costing 9x as much,right?

Some say Don Scorpio Bass Colours are the first generation vPulse. You can buy them from Penon Audio http://penonaudio.com/brands/DONSCORPIO%20/DONSCORPIO-Bass-Colour
You can now get them for $30. There is a review here for the DS Bass Colours -  http://www.head-fi.org/t/736539/don-scorpio-bass-colour-an-in-depth-look

May 31, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #602 of 12,591
Some say Don Scorpio Bass Colours are the first generation vPulse. You can buy them from Penon Audio http://penonaudio.com/brands/DONSCORPIO%20/DONSCORPIO-Bass-Colour

You can now get them for $30. There is a review here for the DS Bass Colours -  http://www.head-fi.org/t/736539/don-scorpio-bass-colour-an-in-depth-look

Ey! That's my review :D Personally, I don't think the Bass Colour have any place in this thread. They are a nice pair of headphones, but they just don't have the bass output to hang with the big boys.

Speaking of which, I think I found my new budget bass champ, the SUR s808. I'm planning to review them in a week or so since I feel they compare well to other budget champs (looking at KZ mainly) and have absolutely stunning bass (after a smidge of eq to knock out the midbass bloat). Build quality is questionable, but the sound more than makes up for it.

May 31, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #603 of 12,591
For what it's worth: I spoke with a retailer who stocks both the Shure SE846 and Aurisonics ASG-2.5 who indicated that the Shure doesn't even come close to the Aurisonics in bass.

Keep in mind that this is likely without EQ. Many basshead headphones and earphones don't reach their true bass potential without an equalizer.

I'm still trying to get a demo unit from Shure so I can review them, and I might have a line on the competing Rhapsodio. Still no progress getting Lear, Earsonics, Tralucent, or a few others as of yet.

As Basshead.Club gets more established, I suspect review units will be a lot easier to come by and a legitimate king of basshead IEMs will emerge.

May 31, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #604 of 12,591
The  Final Audio Heavens might cost a lot but it is not made to be bassy. It is nowhere close to being bassy. The A3 has stronger deeper and wider bass than any Earsonics products.
A3s have more midbass but quite a bit less subbass than velvets in warm mode. I have both dude, I know what I'm hearing. A3s' bass sound more realistic and they move more air compared to velvets though. I don't use EQ btw.

May 31, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #605 of 12,591
A3s have more midbass but quite a bit less subbass than velvets in warm mode. I have both dude, I know what I'm hearing. I don't use EQ btw.

That's where bass lovers and bassheads diverge. Bassheads are more interested in a headphone's potential than its default sound signature, and we're willing to use EQ, amps, and just about anything else to get there.

May 31, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #606 of 12,591
For what it's worth: I spoke with a retailer who stocks both the Shure SE846 and Aurisonics ASG-2.5 who indicated that the Shure doesn't even come close to the Aurisonics in bass.

Keep in mind that this is likely without EQ. Many basshead headphones and earphones don't reach their true bass potential without an equalizer.

I'm still trying to get a demo unit from Shure so I can review them, and I might have a line on the competing Rhapsodio. Still no progress getting Lear, Earsonics, Tralucent, or a few others as of yet.

As Basshead.Club gets more established, I suspect review units will be a lot easier to come by and a legitimate king of basshead IEMs will emerge.

Shure Se846 don't compare. I owned those as well, and it's not close. Asg beats it hands down. I've also owned tralucent 1p2 and Ref 1, both have more bass than the Shure. Ref1 is comparable in asg bass, about 3/4 open with the port. Ref 1 is truly incredible.

May 31, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #607 of 12,591
Shure Se846 don't compare. I owned those as well, and it's not close. Asg beats it hands down. I've also owned tralucent 1p2 and Ref 1, both have more bass than the Shure. Ref1 is comparable in asg bass, about 3/4 open with the port. Ref 1 is truly incredible.

For the Shure with BA Drivers it does bass very well for having only BA Drivers. Comparing bass with dynamic IEMs is not easy because BA Drivers always run into a wall when dealing with bass.

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #609 of 12,591
OK can you aurisonics owners clarify something for me. What is the deal on the asg22s not the asg2s, thought it was a typo but it's not, has anybody heard them and if so what do you make of them are they a better version of the asg2s???

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #612 of 12,591
That's where bass lovers and bassheads diverge. Bassheads are more interested in a headphone's potential than its default sound signature, and we're willing to use EQ, amps, and just about anything else to get there.

I also like to test a headphone/earphone's potential, or headroom, with bass.

I have a pair of Klipsch X10 which were pretty good with bass impact and sub-bass quality, they dont blow your head off but will respond to EQ fairly well. However they will distort very easily when pushed with an amp as I have tried with my E18.

My old pair of Senn CX500 sound worse overall (borderline sibilant to me) but when it comes to bass impact and depth they can be pushed much further before distortion. Now I understand comparing single BA to single DD isnt fair but its still interesting to see nonetheless.

On the lookout for a new pair to satisfy my sub-bass craving and I came across Sony XBA40, I havent had a chance to hear them but I was attracted due to one of the drivers being dedicated only to sub bass. Further reading led me to leave them in the end as they are reported to distort easily when pushed so this was a definite no for me. Again I guess BA's may not have as much headroom.

I am still on the lookout but in the meantime I have acquired the Carbo Basso's which are a great pair especially for those on a budget. Paid around £25 in total including tenso fees and shipping and they really do extend deep and can pack a large punch. They do have sloppier/slower bass than I would prefer but then I have listened to them around 20hours so I'm still burning in, hopefully the bass gets tighter.

As always these are my personal experiences. :)

It seems the frequently mentioned iems in this thread may satisfy me, especially the ASG-B as i prefer a darker sig due to sensitivity to treble.

Jun 1, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #613 of 12,591

I am still on the lookout but in the meantime I have acquired the Carbo Basso's which are a great pair especially for those on a budget. Paid around £25 in total including tenso fees and shipping and they really do extend deep and can pack a large punch. They do have sloppier/slower bass than I would prefer but then I have listened to them around 20hours so I'm still burning in, hopefully the bass gets tighter.

I've had the carbo basso's for a long time now and still keep them with me almost always as a quick go-to set that sound great straight out of a phone without an amp. That being said, they can actually take quite a bit of power and pair well with a small portable amp. They for sure will burn in over time, it won't be drastic but I think the improvements are noticeable. I've been waiting for zero to come out with a hybrid or higher end dd for bassheads for awhile now - I really enjoy their tuning. 

Jun 1, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #614 of 12,591
  I've had the carbo basso's for a long time now and still keep them with me almost always as a quick go-to set that sound great straight out of a phone without an amp. That being said, they can actually take quite a bit of power and pair well with a small portable amp. They for sure will burn in over time, it won't be drastic but I think the improvements are noticeable. I've been waiting for zero to come out with a hybrid or higher end dd for bassheads for awhile now - I really enjoy their tuning. 

Have you heard the Duoza at all? Sort of interesting looking. IDK if it's particularly bass or not.

Jun 1, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #615 of 12,591
  Have you heard the Duoza at all? Sort of interesting looking. IDK if it's particularly bass or not.

I checked out some reviews when they dropped awhile back and seemed like the consensus was that the duoza have good bass but aren't basshead iems and that they are mostly an upgrade from the carbo tenore's. And their design put me off a bit, not really sure what they were going for with that one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back