Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
May 28, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #556 of 12,590
  anyone in here heard the dunu dn-2000J yet and could compare a little? Some reviews say it can hang with the other top tier hybrids and it's small size make it look really appealing. 

Offer on massdrop now too, $50 off if some more folks commit.

Dunu aims more for an analytical sound to my knowledge especially at the top range so not the slam-n-jam quality you're looking for i guess.

May 28, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #557 of 12,590
  Hey All!

I currently have the TripleFi's & GR07... I was looking to add another solid addition (possibly my best one to date) to my collection. This time though, I want the IEM's to be FUN, with sparkly highs, wide soundstage, and a DEEP LOW END....the kind that feels like you have subwoofers in your ears, just vibrating your brain.

I was looking at the Sony XBA-A3's . They seem like they hit everything I want, but there's not that many reviews on them. Originally I was looking at the H3's but didn't want to buy the version 1. Will the A3's be more refined (like a version 2) and keep that amazing bass? Does it have amazing bass? Are they solid $300 IEM's (my price range)? I'd like your opinion!

Thanks

Anyone? HBB? (btw thanks for this awesome resource!)

May 28, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #559 of 12,590
People were talking about the A3's in the Z5 thread recently. Lots of positive comments.

Yeah, I was asking the questions, but I don't want to make it off topic over there. Since this is a bass thread, I'd like to know what other's who have heard or own the A3, what they thought about its Sub Bass, Mid Bass, and Extension.

May 28, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #560 of 12,590
  Dunu aims more for an analytical sound to my knowledge especially at the top range so not the slam-n-jam quality you're looking for i guess.

I feel like Dunu products show up in a fair amount of 'best bass iem' lists (not necessarily ones compiled by bassheads, but still). And they do have the Detonators which are aimed at the budget basshead, right? I suppose I'm more interested in if these scratch the basshead itch at all. Not expecting them to be the champs or necessarily in the top 5. At their price I'd expect them to go toe to toe with the A3, but more U than V shaped.

May 28, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #561 of 12,590
Hi all, I've been a user of Ultimate ears 5 EBs since they were first released. What current product would match them now.
Over the past few weeks I've purchased some UE 900's and RHA T10I and both were gutless in comparison.

Any suggestions are welcome

May 28, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #562 of 12,590
Hi really quick, can anyone comment on sound leak from the ASG2.5? And does it change if the bass port is open more?

Was just informed by a coworker that the xba-z5 leak quite a bit (for an iem) due to the vents, I guess, and well that just won't work for the office most days and plane rides and quiet subway cars. :frowning2:

May 28, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #563 of 12,590
Hi all, I've been a user of Ultimate ears 5 EBs since they were first released. What current product would match them now.
Over the past few weeks I've purchased some UE 900's and RHA T10I and both were gutless in comparison.

I had the first version of the EB (unlistenable sibilance until eq'd, but unparalleled boom at the time) Any of the top recco's here will scratch your itch for sure. Probably go for something more V shaped as IIRC the EB were super Vs. You got a price range? That would help with more suggestions.

P.S. I found the T10i to be good but gutless too, not sure how they are ending up on so many best bass lists...

May 28, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #564 of 12,590
  Hi really quick, can anyone comment on sound leak from the ASG2.5? And does it change if the bass port is open more?

Was just informed by a coworker that the xba-z5 leak quite a bit (for an iem) due to the vents, I guess, and well that just won't work for the office most days and plane rides and quiet subway cars. :frowning2:

With mine about a quarter open, playing louder than I usually listen with my fingers covering the nozzles (sorry for not trying full open, don't want to lose my sweet spot ), it seems fairly minimal, though my place has steady hum of traffic possibly something an oversensitive coworker in a very quiet environment might notice.

May 28, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #565 of 12,590

I have 2 pairs of 5 EBs but the asg 2.5 and the Z5 are so much better in every area that there are no needs for me to ever reach for the UE 5 EBs.

May 28, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #566 of 12,590
  I had the first version of the EB (unlistenable sibilance until eq'd, but unparalleled boom at the time) Any of the top recco's here will scratch your itch for sure. Probably go for something more V shaped as IIRC the EB were super Vs. You got a price range? That would help with more suggestions.

P.S. I found the T10i to be good but gutless too, not sure how they are ending up on so many best bass lists...

I had them on my list for lack of experience with clearly superior sets like the 846 which are really pricey in Japan but do kick the teeth out of the T1.

I also really love tuning on the IEM.
I honestly cannot live without that from here on out.

Re: Dunu

If Brooko likes them it is not a endorsement for bassheads as he has been clear about not liking coloring beyond a tad in the low end.
Nice to see he uses a graph in the review ala @Luckbad.....told ya they would be using that
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #567 of 12,590

I had them on my list for lack of experience with clearly superior sets like the 846 which are really pricey in Japan but do kick the teeth out of the T1.

Re: Dunu

If Brooko likes them it is not a endorsement for bassheads as he has been clear about not liking coloring beyond a tad in the low end.
Nice to see he uses a graph in the review ala @Luckbad.....told ya they would be using that
biggrin.gif

First impressions, to me the T10 looks great and fits great but sadly the sound was not good (nowhere near the 846). Bass was average and the Mids and treble were below average.

May 29, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #568 of 12,590
  With mine about a quarter open, playing louder than I usually listen with my fingers covering the nozzles (sorry for not trying full open, don't want to lose my sweet spot ), it seems fairly minimal, though my place has steady hum of traffic possibly something an oversensitive coworker in a very quiet environment might notice.

Good to know, I'm insane and would probably leave them fully open...

This is interesting to me because other than portability, being able to listen to music at high volumes while not sharing that with the outside world, are the main advantages of an IEM over full size cans. I suppose the trade off for epic bass in an iem is a little isolation -- not a problem for general commuting or walking around, but not really cool in a whisper quiet environment.

May 29, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #569 of 12,590

They honestly were rather nice sounding and superbly built, but I just didn't get the basshead feel from em. Maybe I didn't give them enough of a chance, or blast them with the c5 boost on high to really find out..? (The tuned nozzles did feel like kind of a gimmick. I can't imagine wanting less bass then the what the bassiest ones provide but I guess that's why I'm loitering in this thread...)

Slightly unrelated: just got a pair of oppo pm-3's and they are definitely not basshead cans but they remind me of the T10 in sound sig and I'm determined to keep them long enough to start enjoying them for what they are.

May 29, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #570 of 12,590

Good to know, I'm insane and would probably leave them fully open...

This is interesting to me because other than portability, being able to listen to music at high volumes while not sharing that with the outside world, are the main advantages of an IEM over full size cans. I suppose the trade off for epic bass in an iem is a little isolation -- not a problem for general commuting or walking around, but not really cool in a whisper quiet environment.

yeah, just out of curiosity I fully opened the bass ...  i mean unless i hold it right next to my ear it's still less than ear-buds, closed on-ears that aren't particularly isolating, or open designs like the fx850s, and that's at 19/30 volume where my normal is 11 or 12/30- I just don't have a truly quiet place to tell how much the ambient noise here is drowning it out. Congrats on the Oppos- very curious about those.

Unrelated, think I found a pretty good subs test track for myself- never really noticed it before the 2.5s- last time I listened to it was on my ath-im02, with which it's totally invisible- sad because they're probably my favorite at the moment- wish I could blend them with the 2.5s & hope audio-technica considers doing an IM02 hybrid someday with a nice big dyn woofer
rolleyes.gif
Bloaty but loud on the XX101s, handled pretty well by the ex1000s (had never listened to it with them) barely apparent on the yam eph-100s, even less on the fx850s, doesn't show up on any of my other inears- though I might need to reassess the fidue 31s, a little weird, like I can really feel it but I hear less of the lows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back