Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
May 27, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #528 of 12,591
There are definitive winners from those I've heard in the two main bass categories I care about:

Bass Depth
Aurisonics ASG-2.5/ASG-B: The same amazing sub-bass on both. 2.5 sounds better in every other way, but B is much cheaper.

Bass Impact
Pioneer SE-CX8/SE-CX9: Unrivalled hit due to the Bass Exciter. The 9 has more clarity from its balanced armature driver, the 8 has better depth from its dynamic driver.

Everything else is a tier or more below those.

EDM Favorite: JVC HA-FXZ200
Best Budget: JVC HA-FX3X or NarMoo S1
Under $100 Contenders: HiSoundAudio Wooduo2, Sony MDR-XB90EX

May 27, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #529 of 12,591

What I was trying to say is that the 2.5 sounds a lot better then the 2.0 and that the 2.5 fits better than the 2.0.

I personally don't think so. They're completely different animals, IMO, with each having their place. The animal moniker is more in tune with the original 2.0 though. The sound of that thing is truly visceral, yet it remains so damn tight in the low end when the ports are closed.

May 28, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #530 of 12,591

I personally don't think so. They're completely different animals, IMO, with each having their place. The animal moniker is more in tune with the original 2.0 though. The sound of that thing is truly visceral, yet it remains so damn tight in the low end when the ports are closed.

Could not disagree more.

After reading countless comments regarding a slight lack of sub bass in your thread I confirmed it with my own listens using the test tracks we use in Extreme Bass club

That's 33,45,55 ish Hz hits and the 2.5 stomps a mud hole in the 2's ass and walks it dry. IMNSHO
wink.gif

Can't bust myths with IEM like I did with over ear (Like the Ultrasone Pro 900 were bass kings..
rolleyes.gif
) That was an easy myth to bust.

IEM much harder/Impossible.

Enjoy your IEM. I don't consider any set that has a lack of sub-bass...the smallest region by # of Hz...to be qualified for this threads list.

May 28, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #531 of 12,591
There are definitive winners from those I've heard in the two main bass categories I care about:

Bass Depth
Aurisonics ASG-2.5/ASG-B: The same amazing sub-bass on both. 2.5 sounds better in every other way, but B is much cheaper.

Bass Impact
Pioneer SE-CX8/SE-CX9: Unrivalled hit due to the Bass Exciter. The 9 has more clarity from its balanced armature driver, the 8 has better depth from its dynamic driver.

Everything else is a tier or more below those.

EDM Favorite: JVC HA-FXZ200
Best Budget: JVC HA-FX3X or NarMoo S1
Under $100 Contenders: HiSoundAudio Wooduo2, Sony MDR-XB90EX

I still have the JVC HA-FX1X but I haven't tried the JVC HA-FX3X. BTW How does the HA-FX1X compare with the HA-FX3X?

May 28, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #533 of 12,591
I thought I'd do a little experiment with a few amps and the ASG-2.5.

The three I used are the Creative X-Fi Titanium HD, Objective2, and Cayin C5.

Because so many of us have the Cayin C5, I checked that one out on low gain, high gain, and with the bass boost separately.

Images!

1. Creative X-fi Titanium HD = Red
  2. Objective2 = Green
  3. Cayin C5 Low Gain = Blue
  4. Cayin C5 High Gain = Pink
  5. Cayin C5 Bass Boost = Teal

Of interest: From 30Hz on, the Cayin C5 is identical to the Objective2. Cayin C5 High/Low gain seems to make no difference in the curve. Cayin C5 Bass Boost gives you 6dB of bass at 20Hz then tapers down. It does start to encroach on mids a bit.

1. Cayin C5 High Gain = Pink
  2. Cayin C5 Bass Boost = Teal

May 28, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #534 of 12,591

I thought I'd do a little experiment with a few amps and the ASG-2.5.

The three I used are the Creative X-Fi Titanium HD, Objective2, and Cayin C5.

Because so many of us have the Cayin C5, I checked that one out on low gain, high gain, and with the bass boost separately.

Images!

1. Creative X-fi Titanium HD = Red
  2. Objective2 = Green
  3. Cayin C5 Low Gain = Blue
  4. Cayin C5 High Gain = Pink
  5. Cayin C5 Bass Boost = Teal

Of interest: From 30Hz on, the Cayin C5 is identical to the Objective2. Cayin C5 High/Low gain seems to make no difference in the curve. Cayin C5 Bass Boost gives you 6dB of bass at 20Hz then tapers down. It does start to encroach on mids a bit.

1. Cayin C5 High Gain = Pink
  2. Cayin C5 Bass Boost = Teal

May 28, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #535 of 12,591
Could not disagree more.

After reading countless comments regarding a slight lack of sub bass in your thread I confirmed it with my own listens using the test tracks we use in Extreme Bass club

That's 33,45,55 ish Hz hits and the 2.5 stomps a mud hole in the 2's ass and walks it dry. IMNSHO :wink:

Can't bust myths with IEM like I did with over ear (Like the Ultrasone Pro 900 were bass kings..:rolleyes: ) That was an easy myth to bust.

IEM much harder/Impossible.

Enjoy your IEM. I don't consider any set that has a lack of sub-bass...the smallest region by # of Hz...to be qualified for this threads list.

So you mean you compared both iems extensively, even with one 2.0 and 2.5 earpiece in each ear like I did? :)

Update: Aurisonics ASG-2.5 Revision
(main ASG-2 review below)

After more than a year since its release, the ASG-2 has been officially updated to a new revision. Dale and co. listened to customer feedback about the original, and have tweaked it accordingly.

From what I understand, these are the new additions/changes:

1) A brand new driver. The old 15mm is replaced by a 14.2mm alternative.

2) The bassport has been changed to increase both mid-bass and sub-bass equally, without the bloat of the previous version.

3) The treble spike has been smoothed for a smoother response up top.

4) Sexy new colors (I picked red).

There are a few things I could say, but I figure what most care about is simply how different the sound is. Let's explore this.

Notes

The setup will be X5 to Tralucent T1. Stock cables on both. Bass port set to minimum mostly.

Sound

To test the difference between the ASG-2 and 2.5, I tried something I've never done before. Using the stock cable, I attached the ASG-2 left earpiece, and the ASG-2.5 right earpiece so I could get a raw estimation of the differences.

Firstly, the ASG-2 is dramatically more sensitive and easier to drive. A result of the different driver, perhaps?
The ASG-2.5 has a loooot less bass than the ASG-2, with bassports closed on both. Both mid and sub-bass.
This will make A/B'ing interesting.
I actually found myself wishing for more bass at times...from an ASG series. Hmm.
I actually forgot how remarkable the ASG-2 is for being able to deliver such a sheer amount of impact and bass without ever impacting the midrange or treble.

At this point, I started listening with both earpieces to get more concrete thoughts. I'll do my best to volume match closely.

With bass ports closed, the ASG-2.5 sounds a fair bit dryer than its predecessor. I fired up Amy Winehouse's "Valerie" from the Back to Black album...the version where she apologizes to Charlie Murphy for having too much fun... the one with the heavy bass line...At first, the 2.5 sounds a bit boring because of the reduced emphasis in the low end. Still by the time the middle of the song rolls around, I have a bass induced headache from the raw impact of the ASG-2.
I switched over to Ben Howard's "Only Love", and truly the only difference I could find were in the quantity of bass, and the overall sensitivity. So, I decided to play with the bassport settings on the ASG-2.5 to see if Unity's harsh but accurate BloatPortTM moniker was still valid.
I decided to skip the small talk and open the port to half blast...instant bass headache. The ports are no less effective, I see. I retreated to closed, then opened slightly. The boost still isn't as clean as it could be, but there's a bit more flexibility since the 2.5's stock bass is less than that of the original.

Overall, I'd say the differences are this. The ASG-2.5 sounds more...restrained than its predecessor. The ASG-2's bass is rather visceral in nature. The raw attack and punch, even with the ports closed, is awe inspiring. I think I prefer the older version for more bass centric genres, simply because the 2.5 can't mimic the 2's bass signature. The 2 retains much of the 2.5's tightness, while having pure ferocity when the song calls for it.

The fight scene below essentially sums up the difference between the bass presentation of the ASG-2 and ASG-2.5. The 2 is represented by Bane, and the 2.5 is Batman. Pay special attention starting at 2:40

However there are times, many times, when the ASG-2's bass was just too much for a song, similar to how Bane's mask was his downfall. The 2.5 has no such problem, as it has been overall tamed. Consider the ASG-2 the bad boy that women love when they are younger because he is so exciting and keeps them on their toes. As they get older though, the warm security of the suited gentleman becomes more and more appealing. This is the crux of the matter here.

You'll notice I spent the entire review primarily discussing the bass. It is the most evident change when comparing the two side by side, and it is no small difference. As for the bassport, it's still not going to deliver that clean boost that we so hoped for. Perhaps the size of the driver, plus the quantity of air the port lets in contribute to the sheer mass of bass that one gets when the port is used.

All in all, it's still more or less the Aurisonics house sound. Amazing vocals, smooth treble, and a very textured sound that lays cues out in front of you like you were standing in the presence of the performers. The 2.5 will be better for those who thought the ASG-2 could simply do with less bass and slightly more present upper mids.

Warrior1975 need not apply :p

May 28, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #536 of 12,591
Can you delete that or put it in spoiler as you already have a huge thread with your opinion. The last time I saw this post you preceded it with "I don't mean to be a prick..."
It's only 2 pages back in you're thread right now.

I love my 2.5 and my thing is bass. Has been since i came to this site. Sadly their is no way to prove anything like with over ear. We are debating 2 sets from Aurisonics is pretty good for them
wink.gif

I coulda had either....and bass being the factor and my library and habitual testing style being the use of sub bass heavy Hip Hop and Car Audio test tracks I took the 2.5...true story
L3000.gif

Let's agree to disagree
beerchug.gif

May 28, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #537 of 12,591
Can you delete that or put it in spoiler as you already have a huge thread with your opinion. The last time I saw this post you preceded it with "I don't mean to be a prick..."
It's only 2 pages back in you're thread right now.

I love my 2.5 and my thing is bass. Has been since i came to this site. Sadly their is no way to prove anything like with over ear. We are debating 2 sets from Aurisonics is pretty good for them:wink:
I coulda had either....and bass being the factor and my library and habitual testing style being the use of sub bass heavy Hip Hop and Car Audio test tracks I took the 2.5...true story:L3000:

Let's agree to disagree:beerchug:

1. You didn't answer my question. Did you extensively compare both sets side by side?
2. How does the prick comment have anything to do with this?
3. Thanks for reminding me why I don't post in the audio forums anymore.

May 28, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #538 of 12,591
You know I just had a brief encounter with the asg2 and the jvc fx1100s and even though that mid bass is great overbearing at times on the asg2 the jvc fx1100s sounded bassiser for some reason even with the notch all the way to the circle.but then again I only listened for about 2 hours only on each. Maybe it's just my ears or something ,I don't know

Users who are viewing this thread

Back