Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
May 26, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #497 of 12,591
Hi All!

Thanks for the awesome thread. I'm taking a really hard look at the Sony XBA-A3's, do they have a lot of sub bass? Will it sound like a sub woofer in my ear? I love low end rumble, but I heard in some reviews that the bass can be lacking? 

Bass isn't the end all be all for IEM's, I love sparkly high's and a wide soundstage too, but its presence should be FELT when needed. If I'm spending over $250 for IEM's, I want to make sure it hits all the marks.

Just wondering if the A3's will have that nice low end sub bass, to go a long with it's super tweeting highs :D

Thanks!
- Joe

May 26, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #498 of 12,591

Impressions/comparisons?

Z5 and A3 have many similarities but the A3 is a bit more V Shaped and the instruments sound further apart. I think both have great sub Bass , bass impact but the A3 bass sounds like it hits harder due to it having that V Shape. The Z5 is a bit more refine and the A3 is more raw and agressive in a good way. Both have great bass, both have bass that hits hard and goes deeper than any BA Earphone. I will say the Z5 and the A3 only can be challenged in the bass department with Aurisonics but in the sound stage, Mids and Treble the Z5 and A3 easily beats it.

May 26, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #499 of 12,591
  Hi All!

Thanks for the awesome thread. I'm taking a really hard look at the Sony XBA-A3's, do they have a lot of sub bass? Will it sound like a sub woofer in my ear? I love low end rumble, but I heard in some reviews that the bass can be lacking? 

Bass isn't the end all be all for IEM's, I love sparkly high's and a wide soundstage too, but its presence should be FELT when needed. If I'm spending over $250 for IEM's, I want to make sure it hits all the marks.

Just wondering if the A3's will have that nice low end sub bass, to go a long with it's super tweeting highs :D

Thanks!
- Joe

The Treble on the A3 is similar to the IE800 and its bass is alot better in every way. Also the fit and isolation is very very good but not as good as say the Shure and Westone.

May 26, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #500 of 12,591
I like my RHA T10i's out of my FiiO X3ii, but the subbass is subdued. I personally don't think that these can be called "basshead" IEM's, but they are bassy.

*edit* Just changed tips from the single flange to the bi-flange tips, and the bass definitely improved. Now, the same song gives me a little tickle in the ear canal, at the same volume. But, I have both 31Hz and 62Hz turned up to +6 on my FiiO, using the bass filters of the T10i's.

May 26, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #501 of 12,591

Z5 and A3 have many similarities but the A3 is a bit more V Shaped and the instruments sound further apart. I think both have great sub Bass , bass impact but the A3 bass sounds like it hits harder due to it having that V Shape. The Z5 is a bit more refine and the A3 is more raw and agressive in a good way. Both have great bass, both have bass that hits hard and goes deeper than any BA Earphone. I will say the Z5 and the A3 only can be challenged in the bass department with Aurisonics but in the sound stage, Mids and Treble the Z5 and A3 easily beats it.

Actually Velvets have siginificantly more subbass than A3s. A3s have more mid-bass though.

May 26, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #502 of 12,591
  Actually Velvets have siginificantly more subbass than A3s. A3s have more mid-bass though.

For double the price. Though, that's saying something for the A3, if it can compete with IEM's twice its price.

May 26, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #503 of 12,591

Im glad you think that but from my experience with earsonics for the past 7 years I do not believe it does and the sound stage is narrow. I dont even think the Velvet has deeper bass than the Shure 846. I wished my ears were like yours . if minewere I would have bought the Velvet  a long time ago.

May 26, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #505 of 12,591

Im glad you think that but from my experience with earsonics for the past 7 years I do not believe it does and the sound stage is narrow. I dont even think the Velvet has deeper bass than the Shure 846. I wished my ears were like yours . if minewere I would have bought the Velvet  a long time ago.

I'll second this (above) and disagree about the stage of the Z5 v.s. The Aurisonic 2.5. I think the 2.5 are more wide and detailed but that's just my interpretation.
biggrin.gif

The Z5 A3 comment is spot on as the aluminum coating does it's job by accelerating decay which gives the sub bass less time to simmer and stew. That's the point for clarity's sake but the A3 seems to hold the sub bass better. You own em' You know em' I agree with the comparison observations.

The Velvet...

I agree with you most on that as I am at a loss for the big deal and agree about the 846 owning it.

May 26, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #506 of 12,591
I like my RHA T10i's out of my FiiO X3ii, but the subbass is subdued. I personally don't think that these can be called "basshead" IEM's, but they are bassy.

*edit* Just changed tips from the single flange to the bi-flange tips, and the bass definitely improved. Now, the same song gives me a little tickle in the ear canal, at the same volume. But, I have both 31Hz and 62Hz turned up to +6 on my FiiO, using the bass filters of the T10i's.

You got your x3ii?

Negative eq the whole thing except the 31, 62 (+2) 125 (-3)   It's a non eq  (0dB) line dropped to the floor so it's just quieter but allows more headroom for bass

May 26, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #508 of 12,591
Yeah, got it yesterday, and have been playing with it since. Your EQ suggestion is interesting, and does let the bass loose, but it's missing the sparkle in the highs, like with Norah Jones. I'll have to play with it a little, but I like it.

Well thats the problem man , its your choice of music (Norah Jones).  <---- Joking!

May 26, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #510 of 12,591
While I am pretty happy with my urbeats for the $100 price range I am willing to spend I still want a little more preformace if possible...Anyone tried the pioneer superior club sound....SE-CX8-K or the mtx streetaudio ix2 ? Having so many options is nice but frustrating.

I am assuming people would try the pioneer over the mtx but I could be wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back