Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Aug 3, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #11,671 of 12,587
Ill say go for the sennheiser ie800 not the 800s. The ie800 are really nice.
I believe is exactly what you need. And they cheap right now. You can find a very good deal. You will need definitely a dap :)) they are power hungry iems.

But be careful, exist too many fakes.
I don't know about the comfort if you like.
The small spliter is to heavy for some.
Maybe the fall out ? I mean I'm not suggesting to go for run with them. For me they are perfect.

Thank you for the recommendation, but I was not considering either the IE800 or 800S. From what I've read, the IE800s have slightly greater clarity and detail and better technical ability than the Sony XBA-N3AP, but they sounded more dull and less fun and interesting than the N3, which overall I greatly like the sound signature of.

However, I'm also interested in getting a serious basshead IEM and did not know if N3 could be pushed to fit that bill. I saw that you also had the IMR R1, which I was considering saving up for over the N3. Would you say these are worth being perhaps double the price, and are they amongst the top basshead IEMs for that price?

Aug 3, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #11,672 of 12,587
Thank you for the recommendation, but I was not considering either the IE800 or 800S. From what I've read, the IE800s have slightly greater clarity and detail and better technical ability than the Sony XBA-N3AP, but they sounded more dull and less fun and interesting than the N3, which overall I greatly like the sound signature of.

However, I'm also interested in getting a serious basshead IEM and did not know if N3 could be pushed to fit that bill. I saw that you also had the IMR R1, which I was considering saving up for over the N3. Would you say these are worth being perhaps double the price, and are they amongst the top basshead IEMs for that price?
Don't know about the R1 or R1Z, but holy smokes the R2 Atens that I just got in today have AWESOME bass, less $ than R1 Zenith, too.

Aug 3, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #11,673 of 12,587
Don't know about the R1 or R1Z, but holy smokes the R2 Atens that I just got in today have AWESOME bass, less $ than R1 Zenith, too.

Interesting, I had not seen those, looks like they are permanently open back, not adjustable like R1, which you don't often see in IEMs. I'm looking for a pair for use at work, so not sure open back is the way to go, do they let out quite a bit of sound through the back when you are pushing them?

Aug 3, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #11,674 of 12,587
Interesting, I had not seen those, looks like they are permanently open back, not adjustable like R1, which you don't often see in IEMs. I'm looking for a pair for use at work, so not sure open back is the way to go, do they let out quite a bit of sound through the back when you are pushing them?
They're surprisingly not too bad. All things considered, even a large IEM driver is still ~1/4 the size of full sized headphones. These hit like good closed backs, though. Considering the builder requires a minimum of 50 hours burn-in for the unique driver, I'm rather pleased after only ~3 hours of listening. What they AREN'T is earplug-level isolation like my Fearless.

Aug 3, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #11,675 of 12,587
Ive had Future Sonic G10, bass was strong and deep, but they felt a bit boomy and the rest of frequencies were a bit recessed ( L shape ). Then i got to get R1 ( original 13mm driver, Zenith is 14mm, R2 is 15mm ) and that was it. Its clear as day with big soundstage , fast, dynamic, likes power. I played around w filters, but the default black filter was just perfect - good bass and clear treble.

Periodic Audio Carbon is a new kid on the block and it also delivers the goods exceptionally well. It has great bass, and nice detailed mids+uppers. 10mm DD made from 8 micron diamond deposit diaphragm. Extends low, very textured, i would say a bit warmer and more organic than R1, but it is to be expected from a single DD. Maybe other Carbon owners will comment too on how good they sound.

The thing is though, that you can tell the difference between the R1 and Carbon, both are excellent, but you can just feel that extra 3mm of size in diameter on the R1, sound feels bigger.
R2 is inbound, will compare to R1. I have kept my R1 with an open port since day 1, R2 will be perfect being an open back permanently.

More people should try Carbon, ive pushed it on the EQ and there was no sign of distortion. Its similar to CA Atlas at 3x less money. Great product.

Aug 3, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #11,676 of 12,587
Ive had Future Sonic G10, bass was strong and deep, but they felt a bit boomy and the rest of frequencies were a bit recessed ( L shape ). Then i got to get R1 ( original 13mm driver, Zenith is 14mm, R2 is 15mm ) and that was it. Its clear as day with big soundstage , fast, dynamic, likes power. I played around w filters, but the default black filter was just perfect - good bass and clear treble.

Periodic Audio Carbon is a new kid on the block and it also delivers the goods exceptionally well. It has great bass, and nice detailed mids+uppers. 10mm DD made from 8 micron diamond deposit diaphragm. Extends low, very textured, i would say a bit warmer and more organic than R1, but it is to be expected from a single DD. Maybe other Carbon owners will comment too on how good they sound.

The thing is though, that you can tell the difference between the R1 and Carbon, both are excellent, but you can just feel that extra 3mm of size in diameter on the R1, sound feels bigger.
R2 is inbound, will compare to R1. I have kept my R1 with an open port since day 1, R2 will be perfect being an open back permanently.

More people should try Carbon, ive pushed it on the EQ and there was no sign of distortion. Its similar to CA Atlas at 3x less money. Great product.

Thanks for the info! It's looking more and more like the R1 may be my bass endgame then (I don't think I'd ever be able to spend over $1k on an IEM). However, I just have to determine if they are worth the extra cost to upgrade over the N3, as I very much like the sound signature of the Sonys that is easy to listen to for very long sessions. And curious how much harder the bass hits.

I would probably have to use the R1 closed at work, is the bass and sound still excellent closed?

Aug 3, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #11,677 of 12,587
Open vs closed difference is subtle on the original R1. I prefer open since it just adds to the already good sound stage. I havent heard Zenith, but other owners commented that sound signature changed from the R1. Reason i got R2 is it was cheaper than what i paid for R1 ( it was 700 GBP at launch, but went down over time ) and it has a bigger 15mm beryllium driver ( i firmly believe that dynamic driver size matters, look at Sony EX1000 ). Every one who has not heard an IEM with a beryllium dynamic driver HAS GOT to try one: Periodic Audio Beryllium, Accutone Gemini HD, CA Dorado, Fiio FH7, IMR R1, R1 Zenith, R2 - take your pick. Its a very captivating sound signature or characteristic.

Aug 4, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #11,678 of 12,587
Thanks for the info. Everyone had talked about the FH5 having superb sub bass, which is what I like most for my EDM and hip-hop.

Would you say the N3 could make a good basshead IEM? I was also looking at the Future Sonics G10 based on recommendations here, or saving up for the IMR R1 Zenith, which after reading many old posts everyone seemed to be hot on throughout 2018.

I had also considered whether it would be worth saving up to upgrade to the Sonys on the original first page lists such as the Z5 or EX-800ST (MDR-7550) , both of which it looks like you own. Are these significant upgrades to the N3 worthy of the extra price? Looks like N3 came out after these lists were made, so I was unsure if it could stand up to the top 10 or just a good contender for its price.

It has been a long time since I used G10 and never compared directly so take the following with a big dose of salt: for general listening purposes I think the N3 is a better all around IEM... better balanced and more detailed and IMO it works well with both those genre.

For bass alone,I think the G10 might pull ahead, stock and EQ'd. Unfortunately I don't experiment with boosting bass anymore because listening fatigue issues (and was never a full on basshead to begin with), so I can't speak to N3's boost-ability.

If you are just looking for sheer bass and don't mind the amping and EQ'ing and tape-modding that go along with it, then top list ranks like ex800 are probably still better than either of these IEMs.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #11,679 of 12,587

The future sonics G10 aren't strong - or loud enough. And they can't never provide big amounts of bass(tons of bass) . But they are basshead for sure.

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #11,680 of 12,587
Don't know about the r2.
10mm driver yes, I think is best.
over 10 mm size doesn't matter.

Open ports means less impact and less sub bass for sure.
The IMR iems if you see on the filters is a very small hole on them for the driver flex and this is enough.
No need more.

Is like the real sub woofers.
Sealed = more resolution, more impact and better for music.
Ported = more deep bass, less resolution and better for home theater.

Aug 4, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #11,681 of 12,587

For me the best doesn't exist.
It depends if you are listening music at max volume and you are looking
The ie800 are fun sounding iems with very good bass response and at a very good price at the moment.

The ie 800s are flat more resolving but less sparkle and less bass or for me with no bass.

I don't like Sonys iems.
They look very weird and bad and cheap. They sound to my ears fake. The bass I mean. Bass extens very deap but is like is a speaker in a hall. No punch for me at all.
No sonys. :)

And No open back ported iems.
Open ports not good for iems.
Maybe ported extent deeper some times but with less resolution for Sure and less punch for sure.

Many times ported sub woofers are not good for hifi music in your home. No.

If you travel with buss or Train or anywhere, in quite places the music will travel to people ears like some cheap apple in ears.
Can be very annoying.
Buahahahaha
Iems are made for portable purposes.
For walk, gym etc.
Must be good. Must look ( good- important) Must be not annoying to people around.
And of course must be basshead.

1.IMR r1 zenith.Bass monsters. Tons of bass.
I use now only the Cooper filters.
I have 2 pairs one I damaged already :)
I use them wit the ibasso dx 220 in balanced mode.

2. Sennheiser ie800 very good bass10/10 they go really loud and really deep with excellent impact more than the future sonics G10 for sure.

3.Periodic audio Carbon.
Bassy. Strong audio. Not smooth.
I love straight wearing iems. I buy over ear iems only to test.

4. Dunu titan 6.
Don't have it. I will buy it
Beryllium driver 10 mm.
I'm sure is very good.
I'm fan of dunu. Iad all of straight wearing iems from dunu.

5.Future Sonics is a nice option for a starter (beginner) basshead :)

Aug 4, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #11,682 of 12,587
Don't know about the r2.

Open ports means less impact and less sub bass for sure.
The IMR iems if you see on the filters is a very small hole on them for the driver flex and this is enough.
No need more.

Is like the real sub woofers.
Sealed = more resolution, more impact and better for music.
Ported = more deep bass, less resolution and better for home theater.
The front side ports on the bass filters are still a pinhole. The R1 and R1Z have the same sort of design, but are also adjustable on the back side rather than simply fully open like the R2. I'm not sure about driver sizing in an IEM other than to say the R2s have large, expansive bass, and with the right bass filter on the front, are also clean and impactful.

Everything is theory until it hits the eardrum :wink:

Aug 4, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #11,683 of 12,587
The front side ports on the bass filters are still a pinhole. The R1 and R1Z have the same sort of design, but are also adjustable on the back side rather than simply fully open like the R2. I'm not sure about driver sizing in an IEM other than to say the R2s have large, expansive bass, and with the right bass filter on the front, are also clean and impactful.

I'm sure that they really good and sounds fantastic but like I said resolution and impact is less for sure because are open back.
I will ask Bob the owner to tell me how they are.

Don't forget We are bassheads here :wink:

Aug 4, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #11,684 of 12,587
Don't know about the r2.

I might have to disagree here. I have a few DD only IEMs (only 1 BA based - old UE900) and the Sony XB90EX with the 16mm driver has bass in spades that my smaller dynamic IEMs don't have (most are around the 10mm size). It could be tuning, but also could be the driver size - hard to explain in audiophile terms, but to my ears the Sony XB90EX have bass quantity and quality like nothing else I own.

Edit bc I suck at quoting on mobile :)

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #11,685 of 12,587

Have you tried to tape the opened back side with a pin hole in it? How does that affect the overall bass signature? There Is no such thing as too much bass. I like their smaller footprint compared to R1z and 15mm driver. Do they feel heavy? I mean if you pull one of them out of ear is it going to pull down the cable over ear or is it going to stay, hanging on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back