Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Sep 10, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #9,046 of 12,590
So I've been listening non stop to my ex800st, and I can't get over how good these are. I'm a big fan of electronic music, and the richness and depth of the bass is so awesome. The crazy thing is, I actually think I might prefer these to my LCD-3s. I know that is insane. Obviously a full headphone does things much differently (and it also depends on your source/set up in terms of what you can get out of it).

But the Sony 800st is hitting all the sweet spots for my sound sig preference. Out of 13 years of collecting headphones, I've never come this close to having a headphone that checks off all the boxes. Usually I have to make a lot of compromises (which is why I have multiple headphones that do different things). But these 800st hit all the sweet spots that I've wanted in a single headphone. The fact that they are light and portable to (and comfy), is also a big positive.

I wanted to thank you guys again for making this thread. It has so much info (and detailed impressions that are invaluable). I'm sure a lot of people google "IEM bass" and end up using this thread for help. This was honestly the easiest time I've ever had deciding between headphones, due to the amount of info here.

I apologize for gushing like a fan girl. I'm just really happy I've finally found something that matched my sound sig preference so accurately. I can't get over how good the bass kicks, and how alive the music sounds. That its from something as small as a single driver IEM is blowing my mind.

Edit: anyone that owns the ex800st (or 7550), do you guys stick to the stock tips that come with them? Or do you recommend something else? This is a stupid question. But as far as the cable goes, it seems like these don't have a universal threading on the bottom of the housing (where you connect them to the cable). So I assume replacing the cable on this would take some work?

Sep 10, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #9,047 of 12,590

So I've been listening non stop to my ex800st, and I can't get over how good these are. I'm a big fan of electronic music, and the richness and depth of the bass is so awesome. The crazy thing is, I actually think I might prefer these to my LCD-3s. I know that is insane. Obviously a full headphone does things much differently (and it also depends on your source/set up in terms of what you can get out of it).

But the Sony 800st is hitting all the sweet spots for my sound sig preference. Out of 13 years of collecting headphones, I've never come this close to having a headphone that checks off all the boxes. Usually I have to make a lot of compromises (which is why I have multiple headphones that do different things). But these 800st hit all the sweet spots that I've wanted in a single headphone. The fact that they are light and portable to (and comfy), is also a big positive.

I wanted to thank you guys again for making this thread. It has so much info (and detailed impressions that are invaluable). I'm sure a lot of people google "IEM bass" and end up using this thread for help. This was honestly the easiest time I've ever had deciding between headphones, due to the amount of info here.

I apologize for gushing like a fan girl. I'm just really happy I've finally found something that matched my sound sig preference so accurately. I can't get over how good the bass kicks, and how alive the music sounds. That its from something as small as a single driver IEM is blowing my mind.

Edit: anyone that owns the ex800st (or 7550), do you guys stick to the stock tips that come with them? Or do you recommend something else? This is a stupid question. But as far as the cable goes, it seems like these don't have a universal threading on the bottom of the housing (where you connect them to the cable). So I assume replacing the cable on this would take some work?

I kinda hit a wall related to bass,stage and detail. More bass often leads to noticeable and un-acceptable compromises with the second two. Not really with ex800. The box it comes in is the worst presentation ever. Cookies get better packaging. Cable will tangle if a light breeze hits it. Really bizarre

Easy way is here

Slide that over the set and

They will coil up nice and neat.

Or spend cash and go custom

Sep 10, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #9,048 of 12,590

I kinda hit a wall related to bass,stage and detail. More bass often leads to noticeable and un-acceptable compromises with the second two. Not really with ex800. The box it comes in is the worst presentation ever. Cookies get better packaging. Cable will tangle if a light breeze hits it. Really bizarre

Easy way is here

Slide that over the set and

They will coil up nice and neat.

Or spend cash and go custom

What size braid did you buy?

Sep 10, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #9,049 of 12,590

But the Sony 800st is hitting all the sweet spots for my sound sig preference.

High praise indeed if they would make you move off LCD-3 !

"Richness and depth" - key words I look out for. I hate sterile/cold monitor style presentation.

Sep 10, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #9,050 of 12,590
Edit: anyone that owns the ex800st (or 7550), do you guys stick to the stock tips that come with them? Or do you recommend something else?

Personally use Ortofon tips (for comfort not sound), but I think the Sony Hybrid tips it comes with are good also. IIRC some people here use the old Aurisonics Sureseal tips (mine won't stay on the nozzle wiithout gaffer tape) weird material but they seal really well if they fit- might be tough to find seperately since Fender buyout.

Sep 10, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #9,053 of 12,590
Personally use Ortofon tips (for comfort not sound), but I think the Sony Hybrid tips it comes with are good also. IIRC some people here use the old Aurisonics Sureseal tips (mine won't stay on the nozzle wiithout gaffer tape) weird material but they seal really well if they fit- might be tough to find seperately since Fender buyout.

I haven't had any luck with SureSeal tips. I'm currently using medium JVC Spiral Dots with my EX800's and enjoying them. Best compromise I've found so far.

Sep 11, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #9,055 of 12,590
Interesting post on the iSine IEMs THD measured up to 130db !!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/818870/audeze-releases-two-new-iem-planar-magnetic-earphones-isine10-isine20/330#post_12852283

Against the others (a BA and Electrostat), they are ruler flat.
I think the last measurement is showing they are going to EQ well in the low-end (if even needed !) and distortion fart,fart,fart,fart won't be a factor of that EQd sound like it can be with dynamics.

Sep 11, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #9,056 of 12,590

Lunashops will sell you a pair of DIY connectors for $17 for the ex800/7550/ex1000, then you can use whatever cable you want.

They also sell a lot of pre-terminated cables so you could just attach the wires to the right places with a $30 soldering station and have a fancy new cable
smily_headphones1.gif

this is by far the cheapest way to get a nice 7550 cable but requires a little assembly!

Sep 11, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #9,057 of 12,590
Interesting post on the iSine IEMs THD measured up to 130db !!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/818870/audeze-releases-two-new-iem-planar-magnetic-earphones-isine10-isine20/330#post_12852283

Against the others (a BA and Electrostat), they are ruler flat.
I think the last measurement is showing they are going to EQ well in the low-end (if even needed !) and distortion fart,fart,fart,fart won't be a factor of that EQd sound like it can be with dynamics.

Yeah those loook pretty neat, the giant driver def has some curb appeal.

Always see a lot of praise for ortho bass, though I don't think I've seen any on them mentioned much on the extreme bass full size thread (seen LCDs mentioned a few times maybe)... I wonder if its the limited excursion of those types of drivers that keeps them from hitting bass extremes, or maybe limited number of closed back models? According to the rep the iSines actually do have some passive isolation so not really 'open' might be good.

I'm prob leaving them alone though... would be cool to demo but price $$$ and a little dubious about the durability (in addition to Audeze already have a bit of a rep for driver failure, and that's with the type of headphones people baby and use indoors).

Any other interesting prospects pop up lately? Lists still seem pretty locked-in.

Sep 11, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #9,058 of 12,590
I bought the Sony xb90ex on the rec's from this thread. And have really enjoyed them, both mobile (via an amp) and at home, via a Rudistor NX03 amp (which has super low noise, and is a winner for home IEM use).

I am now on the threshold of going the next mile and purchasing the Sony ST800/7550.

I see nothing but universal praise for the ST800/7550 on the 'net - but there is nothing but universal praise for the xb90ex, too.

Would much appreciate it, if, someone who owns both of these Sony models, could elaborate on the sonic differences between them.

Cheers!

Sep 11, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #9,059 of 12,590
I bought the Sony xb90ex on the rec's from this thread. And have really enjoyed them, both mobile (via an amp) and at home, via a Rudistor NX03 amp (which has super low noise, and is a winner for home IEM use).

I am now on the threshold of going the next mile and purchasing the Sony ST800/7550.

I see nothing but universal praise for the ST800/7550 on the 'net - but there is nothing but universal praise for the xb90ex, too.

Would much appreciate it, if, someone who owns both of these Sony models, could elaborate on the sonic differences between them.

Cheers!

It's easier to just tell you than to find the hundreds of posts answering this exact question
tongue.gif
but you'll be getting the same sound signature, a little less bass boom in exchange for more details and clarity and way more soundstage across the board. Only IEMs other than open vent 2.5's i think have that truly out of head sound. But you'll be disappointed if you're looking for a major upgrade and taping the vent is necessary if you want most bass.

Sep 11, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #9,060 of 12,590
I have both although the 7550's are only a couple of days old for me & used but perfect, thanks @vapman) so there are more qualified listeners here to give more detail than I can.  

like @waifu I am loving the wider sound, more bass & especially how much easier they are to listen too & how "alive" they are - which is a great way to describe the sound but not mine.  I listen to a lot of trance, rock, hiphop & metal & love the 7550 sound for my preferences - with the tape mod.

I would also like to take time to thank everyone through the thread for their honest thoughts, opinions etc I have both the 90's & now 7550's & wouldnt live without either pair, thank you all.

undecided yet on the cables as yet - bit early but the stock one is annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back