Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
May 19, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #406 of 12,591
I'm going to plead the fifth.

Cost is relative, but it was by far the most expensive component in my system (aside from the 70" TV). It was far more expensive than any of my headphones, but more rewarding. I've moved all my 'forum activity' over to AVSforum under the same handle. PM me with any questions. We'll try to keep this thread about IEMs
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #409 of 12,591
  ... i have no ideea how they sound, but best bass means best quality and quantity bass, i do not think that it is entirely fair to compare 500$+ products with 30$-60$ products.

that's true.... but we definitely need a budget bass iem section here. jvc fx's, zero audio basso, smokin buds... there's a bunch, all worth a mention for those who don't have $500+ for iems...

May 20, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #410 of 12,591
My Velvet is coming tomorrow. Can't wait to compare it to FX850.

May 20, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #418 of 12,591
So... initial impressions. It's only been an hour or so of listening, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

The ASG2.5 is a superior IEM to the FX850. That much is pretty obvious at first listen. But nothing in audio is that simple. There are far too many variables. For instance: I do not immediately feel like these are $699 'good'. On the other hand, there is a lot of factors that have contributed to that initial insertion. They appear to lack a 'sparkle' in the treble that I have become accustomed to with my speakers, but that could be due to which tips I'm using... or what EQ setting... or bass boost/gain on the Cayin C5, etc etc (you see my point). Bass is certainly there, but it doesn't seem to be the sub-bass I'm used/looking for now (spoiled by my 18" sub, I know).

But there are upsides. Lots of them, in fact. I can immediately tell that these can be/are great. With every adjustment they get better. Fit seems decent. The bass port adjustment definitely makes a difference which is nice. Soundstage is certainly very good (still need to test it with movies). It obviously has a different house sound to the JVC which I definitely like. I just need some more time with them and some serious tweaking. I'm considering picking up the FiiO X3 gen2, but I'm also hearing about a X5 gen2...

Stay tuned for further impressions in a day or so...

May 20, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #419 of 12,591
  So... initial impressions. It's only been an hour or so of listening, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

The ASG2.5 is a superior IEM to the FX850. That much is pretty obvious at first listen. But nothing in audio is that simple. There are far too many variables. For instance: I do not immediately feel like these are $699 'good'. On the other hand, there is a lot of factors that have contributed to that initial insertion. They appear to lack a 'sparkle' in the treble that I have become accustomed to with my speakers, but that could be due to which tips I'm using... or what EQ setting... or bass boost/gain on the Cayin C5, etc etc (you see my point). Bass is certainly there, but it doesn't seem to be the sub-bass I'm used/looking for now (spoiled by my 18" sub, I know).

But there are upsides. Lots of them, in fact. I can immediately tell that these can be/are great. With every adjustment they get better. Fit seems decent. The bass port adjustment definitely makes a difference which is nice. Soundstage is certainly very good (still need to test it with movies). It obviously has a different house sound to the JVC which I definitely like. I just need some more time with them and some serious tweaking. I'm considering picking up the FiiO X3 gen2, but I'm also hearing about a X5 gen2...

Stay tuned for further impressions in a day or so...

I paid 800 in Japan
frown.gif

My video shows me going through a What stage until I switched tips and elevated the highs and turned off the cayin bass boost and turned on the high gain and opened the port 100%.

I'm using sony tips with the red foam inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back