Head-fi Austin - January 23 2016
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 15, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #61 of 166
HEY OH! finally some updates. My apologies for the delay here everyone. Work travel has been crazy! But, it looks like everything is all set now!

Parking:
Unfortunately, we were unable to have the lot's management give us any spaces. So, you are welcome to park in that garage I highlighted, but it's paid. There's a kind of underground entrance from that garage to our building. If you coordinate with me, you can use it.

On the 5th St side of the building there is a loading zone. (5th is street is a one- way headed east.) You can pull over on the left of the side road, closest to the building, to unload. If that doesn't work for you, coordinate with me and we can attempt to figure something else out.

Event will be on the 5th floor. There will be a security guard at the 5th Floor's entrance to let everyone in. Everyone will need to sign in. (what do we think about name tags? should I have those ready as well?)

Let me know if any other questions come up. I will be in meeting most of the day today, but will check back on this thread frequently.

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #62 of 166
How many have signed up? Nametags would be useful (with real name + Head-Fi handle), especially if there are a bunch of us attending. 

Placards at everyone's tables would be helpful, too, so we know whose gear is who's and can more easily track them down.

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #63 of 166
Never been to one of these things. I did sign up, but have a newbie question.

Is it OK to come and browse? Or is everyone expected to bring a setup? 

I currently plan to be a walking cliche - i.e. the stereotypical HD800 user searching for the perfect Amp or DAC/Amp!

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #64 of 166
  Never been to one of these things. I did sign up, but have a newbie question.

Is it OK to come and browse? Or is everyone expected to bring a setup? 

I currently plan to be a walking cliche - i.e. the stereotypical HD800 user searching for the perfect Amp or DAC/Amp!

You aren't required to bring anything except your enthusiasm for headphone gear. Headphone meets are one of the best places to audition gear, so bring your own Senns or listen to other people HD800 setups.

A few general tips:

Everyone should be respectful of other people's gear and handle things gingerly no matter what the gear costs.

Ask questions, if you're unfamiliar with the equipment or if you're unsure. Try to avoid unplugging things, flipping switches, etc. without checking with the owner first.

It might go without saying, but practice some personal hygiene prior to the meet. It's best to wash your hair and ears before sharing everyone's equipment.

Jan 15, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #65 of 166
I'll handle name tags and table tags as I have done before.

Currently, including vendors we are looking at about 25 attendees. There will be some from Dropbox just browsing that didn't sign up, so I expect we'll have around 30-40 adding in a few forum members who don't sign up either. It is a low-ish turnout for the room size, but it should make for an excellent audition environment.

Dan, is the entrance to the parking garage on 5th as well?

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #66 of 166
I am guessing some of you might have already come across RK Audiology in South Austin. I will be paying them a visit on Jan 18th to demo some IEMs. Not sure if they’ll be interested in attending meets and stuff. Is it OK that I asked them if they will be willing to participate in the meet? 

About RK Audiology: http://rkaudiology.com/

Quoting from their website:
"Authorized Providers for ACS Customs, Etymotic, 64 Audio/1964 Ears and Westone Audio.
Golden Circle Certified Providers for Sensaphonics.
Preferred/Recommended Audiologists for JH Audio, 64 Audio and Ultimate Ears."

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #67 of 166
Yes, they have attended twice before. It would be great to have them again.

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #69 of 166
Good point, the parking garage only has building access from the basement. And this access would only be accessible, if I'm with you. When I get there in the morning, I will be talking with building security again to see if we can change that. But, for now, don't plan on using that entrance without scheduling with me first. Otherwise, if you do park in that garage, you will have to walk up 5th street, turn right on Congress and enter through the front entrance. It's not far. Maybe a quarter block walk.

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #70 of 166
The street entrance to the parking garage is on 5th?

Jan 17, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #72 of 166
Any progress changing the basement access?

Updated parking/entrance and loading zone instructions. Please sign up by Wednesday so I can have tags ready.

Jan 18, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #73 of 166
Everyone should plan on that basement access not changing. If there is anything I can do about it, I won't be able to do anything about it until Saturday morning. I'm planning on being there at 7am, FWIW.

Jan 18, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #74 of 166
Okay... I'm now way out of the loop. I haven't checked up since October (my bad). 

I think I can make it this Saturday, work permitting. If I can make it, I'll bring a pair of Ethers, an ALO CDM, a Chord Mojo, and I can bring an pair of HE-500 if anyone wants. It sounds like there may already be enough HE-500s at the meet though. 

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #75 of 166
This is my first headfi meet that I plan on attending. I wanted to know what I should bring along to be prepared. I assume the best thing to do is bring along a familiar source(preferably the one you always use) so you are able to plug in and get an idea as to what to expect at home. Any tips are appreciated.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back