Head-Fi and HDtracks (David Chesky) Collaborate to Assemble A Headphone System Test Album!
Mar 5, 2010 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 278
[size=large]Head-Fi and HDtracks (David Chesky) Collaborate to Assemble A Headphone System Test Album![/size]

[size=medium]CLICK HERE[/size] to go to the The Head-Fi/HDtracks Open Your Ears Sampler page. (You can also listen to samples of the tracks on that page.)

When David Chesky reached out with his idea to work with Head-Fi.org on a sampler album with tracks specifically hand-picked to help wring out and test headphone audio systems, I smiled from one headphone-covered ear to the other. Yes! was my obvious answer.

We talked about it on the phone, over e-mail, and finally had a meeting in Las Vegas during CES 2010, and the project was a go. What resulted was The Head-Fi / HDtracks Open Your Ears Sampler.

I'm a long-time fan of Mr. Chesky and his label. If you're a music-loving audiophile, then you know the names David Chesky, Chesky Records, and HDtracks.com. David is a wonderful composer and musician in his own right, and his works have been a beloved part of my music collection. Through his Chesky Records label, David also brings us the works of others like McCoy Tyner, Monty Alexander, Bucky Pizzarelli, John Pizzarelli, Peggy Lee, John Hammond, Paquito D'Rivera, Badi Assad, Rebecca Pidgeon, and so many more.

Each and every track assembled for this, The Head-Fi/HDtracks Open Your Ears Sampler, was carefully selected by David and additionally reviewed by Steve Guttenberg (author of The Audiophiliac high-end audio blog at CNET) and myself. If you have a 24-bit/96kHz-capable system, this album is also available in a 24/96 FLAC version, which shouldn't be surprising considering Chesky Records was one of the early producers and purveyors of high-res music, and Chesky's HDtracks.com is now leading the downloadable high-res charge.

Included on The Head-Fi/HDtracks Open Your Ears Sampler are tracks for testing:
  1. Midrange tonality
  2. Low-Level Resolution
  3. Transparency
  4. Visceral Impact
  5. Out-Of-Head Imaging
  6. Center Focus
  7. Palpable Detail and Texture
  8. Rhythm
  9. Spatial Depth
  10. Depth
  11. Bass Extension
  12. Bass
HDtracks is extending special pricing for Head-Fi'ers for this album of ours:
  1. [size=small]For the 320 kbps MP3, 16/44.1 (CD quality) AIFF, or 16/44.1 (CD quality) FLAC versions: $5.99 for Head-Fi'ers (regularly $11.98)[/size]
  2. [size=small] For the high-res 24-bit/96kHz FLAC version: $8.98 for Head-Fi'ers (regularly $17.98)[/size]
[size=medium]CLICK HERE[/size] to go to the The Head-Fi/HDtracks Open Your Ears Sampler page. (You can also listen to samples of the tracks on that page.)

With the The Head-Fi/ HDtracks Open Your Ears Sampler, you'll be able to put your headphone audio rig through its paces, and enjoy some absolutely terrific music while doing it!

Sincerely,
Jude
Founder, Head-Fi.org

Mar 5, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 278
Thank you, I have other cd from chesky records and they sound great, I didn't know about this hdtrack site but it is quite easy to use and nice without the drm, only problem is that it is kind of slow from europe but I guess its still much faster than waiting for a cd to come
wink.gif
. I' m downloading the 24bit version now.

Mar 5, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #6 of 278
Great news, Jude! Congrats and thanks to all who were involved in this project.

Mar 5, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #7 of 278
Aaah, sweet!
biggrin.gif

Will definitely check out this one, or should I say buy it..

Mar 5, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #10 of 278
This is pretty cool. Everyone has a certain set of tracks that they like to test their gear with, maybe this will help people to communicate their opinions using a common denominator.

Mar 5, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #12 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by feverfive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, thanks for doing this!! Just purchased & am downloading right now..

If I have to purchase via download no go.. I like having a physical copy.. Call me old fashioned..

Mar 5, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #13 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by squid+ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is pretty cool. Everyone has a certain set of tracks that they like to test their gear with, maybe this will help people to communicate their opinions using a common denominator.

Agreed. It could provide us all with a benchmark reference to compare systems at meets and elsewhere.

I will certainly download the high-res version.

Mar 5, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #14 of 278
Fantastic!

Thanks for doing this
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #15 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by squid+ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Squid+
I was thinking the same thing. It would help me a great deal when reading a member's review of a piece of equipment or headphone if (s)he referenced one of these tracks and what to listen for. It even sounds pretty good on my laptop system I'm listening to as I write this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back