Head-Fi 2012 Christmas Gift Exchange Whadjaget? Thread
Dec 17, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #61 of 91
Quote:

Aww yeah. My partner was mbritt--thanks dude. Can't wait to crack these open tonight at work and bliss out to them. (Instead of working. Work is overrated.)

Both very nice albums - on my all time favourites list

Dec 17, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #62 of 91
I have received a very generous amount of CDs

From one my partners, Mark_h

Ambient \ Electronica that I had never heard before

and the following from my other partner  tuahogary

Female lead Folk

(unfortunately this CD was broken)

DVD of an intimate performance by Folk duo "The Swell Season"

Thanks guys, I have been really spoilt.

These are artists I had never heard of before and excellent choices on your part. I look forward to exploring their back catalogues

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #63 of 91
Yeah, Aqualung was one of those weird cases where it's probably one of my top 100 albums but for some reason I didn't own it. As for Wishbone Ash, I had heard that I 'needed' to get into them, and I heard right, it would seem. This particular album is truly a fantastic album--on top of which its supremely addictive. One of those albums I could put on repeat and leave there all day without complaining.
Quote:

Both very nice albums - on my all time favourites list

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #64 of 91
Quote:
As for Wishbone Ash, I had heard that I 'needed' to get into them, and I heard right, it would seem. This particular album is truly a fantastic album--on top of which its supremely addictive. One of those albums I could put on repeat and leave there all day without complaining.

Same here - I listen to it regularly - its definitely a classic. I dont think they bettered it.

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #65 of 91
I forgot to mention but I got another one from my partner....
I feel bad for only sending one 
frown.gif

man amazon int. shipping is sure expensive 

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #67 of 91
I received a package today from one of my partners, Rightclick/Scissors, and it contained quite a surprise. I had counted on one CD or maybe two, but this takes the cake.

Excuse the crappy Ipad2 low light pic quality

I haven't taken the CDs out of their wrapping yet, but they seem to be 2 compilation albums from the Rough Trade company (an 'old style' record shop in London?) and 2 compilation albums from the Green Man Festivals of 2011 and 2012. I recognise only a few artists, but the ones I do I really like, so I'm very excited to listen to these albums!

Also included was a book titled London's Strangest Tales, a collection of very short stories about interesting/weird aspects of London history. Will read.

To top it off, a DIY speaker kit was included. A very interesting gift indeed. I'm not into DIY at all, I don't even own a soldering iron (which is needed for this project), but I'm sure a family member owns one. DIY head-fi does interest me, so this will be my first DIY project :D.

Thanks a bunch Rightclick/Scissors!!

Dec 19, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #68 of 91
And received the gift from my other partner, BIG POPPA, today:

Live at KEXP, volume 8. (KEXP is a Seattle radio station, where BIG POPPA lives)

Another compilation album :). And again with only a few artists I know, but all like! Excited to listen to this.

Thanks BIG POPPA.

And thanks to Asr for organising the exchange this year!

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #70 of 91
Amazon sent me the replacement dics!

My Gift partner sent me:

Soundgarden - King animal

The Avalanches - Since I left you

I'm gonna listen in a bit!
Happy!

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #71 of 91
Since I Left You is a stunning album. One of my all-time favorites, for certain. 

Dec 19, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #72 of 91
Love this thread....going through everybody's gifts and checking them out...discovering some great new music 
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 19, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #73 of 91
I received 2 or 3 CDs from my Gift Exchange partner, DanTGG. He lives in Brazil so I asked him to select some Brazilian jazz artists I've likely never heard before. Dan did a great job with these two and I have another very interesting surprise on the way. I love these albums! Many thanks, my friend!

Left: Maria Rita: ELO
Right: Tribalistas: Their one and only album

Dan describes the albums and performers...

Quote:

Tribalistas was a one time collaboration (sadly, they only made that album) between three very good and successful Brazilian artists: Carlinhos Brown, Arnaldo Antunes and Marisa Monte. They have different styles of music that came together beautifully in that album. They are really worth checking out individually too. I almost sent you Marisa Monte's newest CD "O Que Você Quer Saber de Verdade", but then decided on Tribalistas. What I really like about them (feel free to share your impressions) is how their voices interact with each other. Marisa Monte's voice is more pronounced, Carlinhos Brown kind of "in the middle" and then Arnaldo Antunes with that very weird low register, not to mention the great arrangements and the wonderful lyrics. It all combines beautifully.

Maria Rita is the daughter of Elis Regina (maybe you've heard of her). Elis is considered by many to be the greatest Brazilian singer ever. She enjoyed a brilliant career, until she overdosed in 1982 (Maria Rita was about 5 years old then). Everyone thought Brazil had lost one of its greatest voices forever, until Maria Rita started her career and the resemblance between her voice and her mother's voice was immediately noticed. Despite the similarity between her and Elis, she is a very good artist on her own, deservedly achieving a successful career. I included her because she is a good representation of (good) modern Brazilian music, with strong roots of Samba and MPB.

I'm really glad that you liked the CDs. Let me know when the third one arrives, because I'm really looking forward to seeing if you will like it. It is one of the best CDs of Psychedelic Rock ever made and it is done by a Brazilian band. That CD is a love it or hate it case.

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #75 of 91
Quote:
Hey, Keith.

Nice to see you enjoyed the gifts. Can't wait for the DBV #3 mod to arrive . 
popcorn.gif

Yes, Thank You for the Wonderful Brazilian jazz!

RE: Your BMF DBV #3 headphones, they should be arriving soon. I shipped about 10 days ago..... I hope you like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back