Head-Fi 2011 Christmas Gift Exchange Whadjaget? Thread
Dec 17, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #16 of 78
...nuthingyetbuttitsonitsway
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #17 of 78

Quote:
Here's the CD I got from chef8489 today...

Teen goth symphonic metal at it's finest!

I'm feeling a strange urge to go shopping at Hot Topix. I'll be strong and resist the temptation, but I will definitely be exploring more of this genre thanks to chef. Good choice!

You two got an excellent exchange:)

When they began, Within Tempation wasn't as 'teenie' or 'commercial' as they are now. That began when singer Sharon den Adel came. Especially since their breakthrough - Mother Earth - they began making records for a bigger audience. Stil very nice though imo.

Great Dutch band, great singer and a beautiful woman. Nice too. I played in the practice room next to them with my band a couple of months, when Within still practiced in Waddingsveen. They always seemed to have a nice time.

Dec 18, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #18 of 78

Quote:
You two got an excellent exchange:)

When they began, Within Tempation wasn't as 'teenie' or 'commercial' as they are now. That began when singer Sharon den Adel came. Especially since their breakthrough - Mother Earth - they began making records for a bigger audience. Stil very nice though imo.

Great Dutch band, great singer and a beautiful woman. Nice too. I played in the practice room next to them with my band a couple of months, when Within still practiced in Waddingsveen. They always seemed to have a nice time.

I did some reading about WT and am now very intrigued to explore their earlier work, as well as other bands of this genre that chef8489 recommended to me.

I will definitely participate in the music exchange again - what a great way to gain exposure to new music!

Dec 18, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #19 of 78
I received from my partner an outstanding recording of a modern trumpet player named, Arve Henriksen.  I used to be a "serious" trumpet player (i.e. studied in a conservatory) and appreciate the recording that much more because of that. 

For those of you interested in raw sounding performances/recordings, and/or musicians playing instruments in unconventional ways, I urge you to check out Arve.  The album I listened to is called, "sakuteiki." 

Arve has a way of playing the trumpet on this album that sounds like an Asian wood flute!  And much of the playing is in a mono-phonic, minimalist, pentatonic style, much like the melodies of classic Chinese music. 

Dec 18, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #20 of 78
mine just got here today from proglover.  in the spirit of the exchange it is something i have never heard before.  it is ripping as i type.  can't wait to listen to it 
smile.gif

The Gathering Field - Lost in America

sadly, his package is still in transit but should arrive soon...

Dec 18, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #21 of 78
In retrospect, maybe me and simon154 didn't do this correctly; we exchanged mix CDs
rolleyes.gif

In either case, I really, really enjoy what he sent me! Opened me up to some good acoustic music for the most part, pushing me outside of my electronica bubble like I need to be pushed every once in a while :p

No regrets about this exchange! Awesome stuff! Really glad I partook; I will for sure be doing so next year.

Dec 18, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #22 of 78

Quote:
mine just got here today from proglover.  in the spirit of the exchange it is something i have never heard before.  it is ripping as i type.  can't wait to listen to it 
smile.gif

The Gathering Field - Lost in America

sadly, his package is still in transit but should arrive soon...

I havent heard that CD in years. Michael Stanley was a big fan of that record. For anyone that didnt grow up in NE Ohio in the late 70's early 80's, this Is Michael Stanley.

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #23 of 78
Glad that you're enjoying it! :-D

Quote:
I received from my partner an outstanding recording of a modern trumpet player named, Arve Henriksen.  I used to be a "serious" trumpet player (i.e. studied in a conservatory) and appreciate the recording that much more because of that. 

For those of you interested in raw sounding performances/recordings, and/or musicians playing instruments in unconventional ways, I urge you to check out Arve.  The album I listened to is called, "sakuteiki." 

Arve has a way of playing the trumpet on this album that sounds like an Asian wood flute!  And much of the playing is in a mono-phonic, minimalist, pentatonic style, much like the melodies of classic Chinese music. 

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #24 of 78
I got Diamond Mine by King Creosote & Jon Hopkins from joelpearce. I usually listen to electronica so this is a nice change. A great recording, great production by Jon Hopkins, I'm enjoying it.

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #25 of 78
In retrospect, maybe me and simon154 didn't do this correctly; we exchanged mix CDs:rolleyes:

In either case, I really, really enjoy what he sent me! Opened me up to some good acoustic music for the most part, pushing me outside of my electronica bubble like I need to be pushed every once in a while :p

No regrets about this exchange! Awesome stuff! Really glad I partook; I will for sure be doing so next year.
So long as you agreed with each other what you were exchanging, you did it perfectly correctly! :D

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #26 of 78
My exchange partner "Wotts" got me 2 OAR albums: Kings & Rain or shine
I actually never heard from this band and I just started listening to the Kings album, which is very well recorded. I like it very much, easy listening
I'm gonna enjoy these for sure!! Thanks!

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #27 of 78
I do like them quite a lot.
L3000.gif

Quote:
My exchange partner "Wotts" got me 2 OAR albums: Kings & Rain or shine
I actually never heard from this band and I just started listening to the Kings album, which is very well recorded. I like it very much, easy listening
I'm gonna enjoy these for sure!! Thanks!

Dec 20, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #30 of 78
I've been wanting to buy that disc. 

Also, I received this:

Not usually my kind of music but I could see myself listening to this every now and then. Really Folky. It's described as Country, but I'm not a Country fan at all and I like it. Definitely more Folk than anything. The whole album is just fun to listen to.

Quote:
One gold disc deserves another, as I always say.  
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back