Head-Fi 2009 Christmas Gift Exchange Whadjaget? Thread
Dec 31, 2009 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Dzjudz

Headphoneus Supremus
I haven't seen a Whadjaget? thread for this year's X-mas exchange yet, so I thought I'd make one again.

I had a feeling there were less participants than previous years. A shame, because picking out music to give a total stranger is a lot of fun and it's even more exciting to get music you never heard of and would otherwise never have heard! So a note for next year: more participants!

On to business: I was partnered up with The Actual for this year's exchange. We PM'ed our genre and artist preferences to each other. We were both a bit late sending out our packages but they both arrived before the new year
biggrin.gif

I received Karin_Dreijer_Andersson - Fever Ray. It's electronic and I like it
beyersmile.png

So, whadjaget?

Jan 2, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #3 of 15
My Partner was Keithpgdrb. I recieved : "Short Trip Home" - Joshua Bell, Edgar Meyer, Mike Marshall, Sam Bush; "Low to the Ground" - The Waxwings; AND "Complete A Capella Sessions" - Singers Unlimited.

Keith and I have a quite a bit in common musically so we intentionally tried to step outside our obviously shared interests. Keith was spectacularly successful in this endeavor, managing to make selections that I was not familiar with AND loved. Another tremendously successful Christmas Xchange for me. Thank you Zanth for organizing, Thank you Keith for your generosity.

Jan 2, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #4 of 15
I got Big Poppa as my partner and he was generous enough to send on two CD's for Christmas; one I was in the market for - Shpongle: Are you Shpongled - and one from a local band whose name would probably not get through the filters here, but who he managed to convince to sign the CD for me. A real nice touch!
Thanks Gil!

Jan 2, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 15
Partner was tintin47 and he was more than generous with 2 cds. Sent David Bowie - Station to Station and the new Animal Collective EP - Fall Be Kind. Awesome picks for old and new.

Jan 2, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 15
My partner is davidhunternyc... there was a bit of a snafu with gift delivery, in that (as far as we can figure) it was delivered to my front door and then swiped by someone before I got it. Amazon has kindly agreed to replace it since I didn't receive it, but they're currently OOS so I have to wait a bit until they can re-ship.

I still don't know what it is. The suspense is killing me!
biggrin.gif
Kudos to both David and Amazon.com for getting it all sorted out... it felt pretty rotten to have my mail stolen like that, but it's nice that someone cared enough to remedy the situation.

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #8 of 15
I got an antique razor and shaving set from Uncle Erik. Alas, I have a beard, and do not use a blade razor as they cut me to shreds when I use them (hence the beard). Oh well.

Jan 2, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #9 of 15
What's the story behind that then
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got an antique razor and shaving set from Uncle Erik. Alas, I have a beard, and do not use a blade razor as they cut me to shreds when I use them (hence the beard). Oh well.

Perhaps he was trying to send you a message
wink.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #12 of 15
Meh, I didn't find this. Could have been interesting.

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps he was trying to send you a message
wink.gif

I doubt it. For a large majority of head first users it would have been a great gift. For me however it was just an unlucky guess on Erik's part. No big deal, I certainly didn't take it personally.

Jan 5, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #14 of 15
My exchange partner was omegaman, and my package arrived yesterday, Beck - Sea Change. I've already listened through it several times, and it's definitely growing on me. Beck has to me always been one of those artists that I couldn't really decide whether intrigued me enough to explore further, or not.

Oh and it's my very first 'audiophile' record. It took me a few moment to realize what Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab was

SDIM0017.jpg

Jan 5, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #15 of 15
My exchange partner was evilking, and I received a pretty eclectic package from him one or two days before Christmas Eve.

Here is what was in it:
The Old Dead Tree - The Water Fields
Excellent choice!
I first stumbled upon this progressive metal band a while ago and liked what I heard almost instantly.
Blending clean with guttural vocal work = instant win in my book
wink.gif

Somehow I never got around to buying the album though and eventually forgot about them.
So, thanks evilking for reminding me of this great band!

Fightstar - One Day Son, All This Will Be Yours
Pretty interesting alternative rock band - I might have to check out their more recent albums as well!

Neurosonic - Drama Queen
Not really my cup of tea - somehow the singer sounds a bit too 'emo' for me to be enjoyable.
Musically it's solid work though.

Obsession Lounge
I like that one a lot. Really great, mellow and relaxing music - perfect for casual listening, and the bass really makes my speakers shine.

Also, there was a sci-fi book 'Mindscan' by Robert Sawyer.
Thanks evilking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back