Head-Direct RE2 Burn In
Dec 19, 2008 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

LeonWho

1000+ Head-Fier
I just got my RE2's yesterday and am burning them in right now. So far, they have about 11 hours on them from a mixture of songs, white noise, pink noise and sweep. However, they still sound kind of thin and the liquid mids aren't quite there yet. But still a lot better than the nonburnt in RE2's.

So will these improve after 40 hours of burn in?

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #5 of 26
I sure hope not, because they don't really sound much better than my EX71s so far. The bass is no longer muddy and I can hear distinct notes now, and the mid range is actually there now, but the treble seems too timid. Sound stage is decent.

Let me revise, they are much better than my Sony's, but I'd like a lot more treble, hopefully it can step it up. Everything else is decent pre-burn-in, but hopefully they will improve overall after 50 or so hours.

Dec 20, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 26
I think I agree with kiwi on this. My RE2 doesn't sound too different before and after burn-in (and I have hundreds of hours on it now). If you want more bass, the easiest way is to get a FiiO E3 (which comes as bundle if you get RE2 from Head-Direct, IIRC).

Dec 20, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #7 of 26
What if I want more treble
frown.gif

Dec 20, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonWho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My RE2 is a bit thinner than my friend's. Wonder why? His RE2 has over 100 hours on it while mine has 12 hours, will mine become fuller after burn in?

Looks like you got a bad one.

Dec 20, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #14 of 26
RE2, to my ears, requires at least an E3. My daughter has my pair, and I listened to them recently (she thought they had broken, but it was the extension cable), and without the amp, they sounded thin to me too. But with an amp, much, much better. For less cost, the NuForce NE-7s sound better to my ears (much more bass, and clean, clear mids/highs). With either phone, I have to use the Comply T400s. Anyone having issues with "thinness" try a T400 foamie? I just think those stock canalphone silicone tips stink. My opinion, of course.

Dec 20, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #15 of 26
Ok. After listening to the RE2's right after the EP630's (similar to your EX71's), they just sounded so much better. The RE2's have much better clarity and a brighter, warmer sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back