head direct RE0 vs Klipsch s4?????
Dec 13, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #2 of 21
I have the RE0s, and for the price they are astounding. I am considering getting a pair of S4 for my wife who is a runner. From what I have read, the S4s are very comfortable.

-Pony

Dec 13, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 21
Well, from what I read in your other thread, I'm going to recommend the S4, since you'd probably dislike the RE0 for its "small" quantity of bass.

Dec 13, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 21
The strong point of the RE0 is the clarity. They are not necessarily "punchy" or "fun," though. I have the Klipsch X5 but have not heard the S4. For me, the Klipsch fit is substantially better.

Dec 13, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #5 of 21
Well i have not tried the RE0s but I went and bought every decent pair of IEM's in my town from $50.00 - $200.00, decided the the klipsch would be my choice. I put the comfy tips on mine and there great sounding. I ended geting the S4i,s so i could control and talk on my I-Pone.

Goodluck withyour pick
Djphatp

Dec 13, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 21
For me, the REO are truely sans-bass. I don't understand ppl who claim that they have enough bass for them. How can little to none be enough? If you can EQ the hell out of them then maybe. I'm finding the S4 much more enjoyable FOR ME. The REO does better w/ cymbals and high hats but that missing in action bass foundation is a killer FOR ME. The S4 bass isn't the best in the world or even all that potent but the overall presentation is much more musical, again, for me.

Dec 13, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by thwood3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, the REO are truely sans-bass. I don't understand ppl who claim that they have enough bass for them. How can little to none be enough? If you can EQ the hell out of them then maybe. I'm finding the S4 much more enjoyable FOR ME. The REO does better w/ cymbals and high hats but that missing in action bass foundation is a killer FOR ME. The S4 bass isn't the best in the world or even all that potent but the overall presentation is much more musical, again, for me.

With a tight fit and modest boost (+2 on Cowon D2+) I am getting a good amount of bass from REO. I mainly listen to jam band concerts and classical.
I don't find any of my IEM's to equal the bass of my cans though (HD600, 225i)
darthsmile.gif

Dec 13, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by BassoonHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With a tight fit and modest boost (+2 on Cowon D2+) I am getting a good amount of bass from REO. I mainly listen to jam band concerts and classical.
I don't find any of my IEM's to equal the bass of my cans though (HD600, 225i)
darthsmile.gif

My ear canals might be jacked for the dual flange tips... I also get a huge amt of microphonics which seems anomalous... Maybe the tips are in too far or something. What tips do you use? And is the REO the hardest IEM to change the tips on or what?

Dec 13, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by thwood3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My ear canals might be jacked for the dual flange tips... I also get a huge amt of microphonics which seems anomalous... Maybe the tips are in too far or something. What tips do you use? And is the REO the hardest IEM to change the tips on or what?

I haven't yet taken the time to mess w/tips. I'm sure I will at some point. Always, I have just jammed stock into my ears and it always seemed to work, whether Shure or REO. Mind, that I only re-entered the IEM world after my wife and kids all got ipods before me so I'm just getting started. (used to have various Walkmans in the 80's)
But I have had the Senn 600 and a Headroom amp for 4 years so not 'quite' a noob. And I just have to say that Touch 1st gen. 8G => D4 => 225i is way better than anything I've heard from my SA530's.

Dec 13, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #11 of 21
There is just the right amount of bass (in terms of frequency response) on the RE0. The fit is important though. The stock tips suck, and don't give you a nice seal. I use the tips from my Shure E2c, and it is much better at sealing. It is not as good as a seal as my Shure, but it got an advantage because the enclosure seals out a bit of noise too. I love the fit of my E2c. It feels like it is molded for my ear. It fits my ear shape so perfectly well, never falling out or lose seal.

As for RE0 or S4, what do you prefer? Do you like your music to sound like the way it is intended to sound? If so, get the RE0. If you like a fun sounding music, get the S4.

BTW, the S4 has a 2 year warranty compared to 1 year on the RE0

Dec 13, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #12 of 21
I find the bass on the RE0 to be sufficient for home listening. I have yet to try them out on a bus.

If I could compare the bass to my headphones, it'd be most similar to the MS1. You hear it nice and clear, you might even feel it a bit, but it's definitely not a closed-can whump. They're a little lacking for dance music, but they're good overall and are comparable in reproducing detail that my headphones can't but the SF3 can't.

Dec 13, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #14 of 21
I have owned both, and for me it's the RE0 hands down.
My S4 had so much sibilance that it pissed me off every time I wanted to listen to my favorite songs. I returned it and now bought an RE0.
RE0 sounds very good, and it doesn't have the same bass as the S4, so if you like that extra bass you have two options:
1- Change your player EQ to increase the bass to your taste
2- Buy a cheap amp from FiiO like E3 or E5. FiiO E3 only cost 7 dollars and it increases the low frequencies by a few dB, giving the extra bass that you need.
The E5 is a better amp but goes for another 20 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back