Head-Direct EF1 or Audio-gd C2C or ...?
Dec 18, 2008 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

martook

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

I'm looking for a good (well, decent at least) amp to use at home. Don't really want to spend a fortune, but if you think it would make a big difference to go up a level from the ones I'm looking at right now, I guess I can be persuaded...
smily_headphones1.gif

My source:
HTPC (lossless music) -> MHDT Paradisea+ DAC -> Rotel RC-1070 Pre-amp -> Headphone amp

Headphones I will be using:
HD580 with HD650 cable
HD600 with ALO 18G Cryo cable
ALO modded HFI 780 with vampire cable
Markl modded D2000 with D5000 cable

Primarily I'm looking for a solid state amp. I'd love a GS-1 (I have a Pico at work and like it a lot) but it's a quite a bit more than I can pay right now. Will probably keep an eye out for one in the FS forum, but until I have that kind of money I need something else
smily_headphones1.gif

So... which of the Head-Direct EF1 or Audio-gd C2C should I choose? Should I get both?
wink.gif
Or should I get something else for my setup? I guess about $400-500 is my limit, depends on what stuff I can sell off next!

Thanks for reading
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 10
I almost bought a GS-1 from here but then I realised that I could get a C2C + a Zapfilter to my Zhaolu for less money so the decision was easy.

I have been very happy with the performance with the Denon's. They opened up noticeably compared to my previous LD MKIV SE. And I'm very happy for the fact that I can turn the amp on for only 5 minutes if I like and the amp sounds great right from the start. This is the ease of music listening without the hassle of changing tubes, worrying about their working hours etc.

Don't get me wrong, tube amps are great and I would love to try some Almarro tube amp for speakers some day.

Dec 19, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I almost bought a GS-1 from here but then I realised that I could get a C2C + a Zapfilter to my Zhaolu for less money so the decision was easy.

I have been very happy with the performance with the Denon's. They opened up noticeably compared to my previous LD MKIV SE. And I'm very happy for the fact that I can turn the amp on for only 5 minutes if I like and the amp sounds great right from the start. This is the ease of music listening without the hassle of changing tubes, worrying about their working hours etc.

Don't get me wrong, tube amps are great and I would love to try some Almarro tube amp for speakers some day.

Yeah, a comparison between GS-1 and the C2C would be interesting, for sure, how much better is it for the almost 3 times higher price
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not going to put a zapfilter in my equipment though, not the DIY kind of guy unfortunately.

I'll probably want a tubeamp at some point, at least to compare it to a solid state one, but I don't really do any tuberolling in my DAC, so I think I'll stick to SS for now. Also, like you say, it's nice to just turn it on without worrying about tubes and needing time to heat up and so on.

I'd really like to know if anyone has compared the C2C and the EF1; they are basically the same price (well, right now with the christmas price on the EF1 anyway) and if I'm not mistaken, both seems to work well with both high and low impedance HPs. Kinda hard to decide when you can't listen to either one in person
frown.gif

Dec 19, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #4 of 10
I'm thinking of asking about getting a C2C sample out to one of the regular amp reviewers for this reason -- I have only been able to compare it to one amp.

Dec 19, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #5 of 10
How does the C2C handle D2000's mids? Right now, I'm listening to them via a Zero with Audio-GD's Moon HDAM unit and 2x LT1364. Eventhough the sound is much fuller now with the Moon taming D2000 in the high regions and bass extending deeper and more controlled, I personally feel that the mids could be improved. Sibilance is also still a minor issue.

Right now, I'm not so sure anymore whether to perform the markl mod on them or not since I'm quite happy with the sound already.

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #7 of 10
Wow, you're still unsure after 1 year and 3 months?
tongue.gif

I've heard the EF1 and though I haven't heard the C2C, my vote would go for the latter due to its flexibility. I doubt the EF1 will have the juice to drive your HD580 and HD600. Generally tube-hybrid amps seem to work best with lower-impedance cans but not so good with higher-impedance ones.

Feb 7, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, you're still unsure after 1 year and 3 months?
tongue.gif

I've heard the EF1 and though I haven't heard the C2C, my vote would go for the latter due to its flexibility. I doubt the EF1 will have the juice to drive your HD580 and HD600. Generally tube-hybrid amps seem to work best with lower-impedance cans but not so good with higher-impedance ones.

Maybe you should read who posted. moomooemu is not the one who started this thread.

As for the subject at hand, both the EF1 and the C-2C have been superseded by the EF5 and C-2 respectively. You might want to look at those instead.

Feb 7, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #9 of 10
ahhh thanks for that upgrade tidbit i wasnt aware.

and well lol, i joined whenever first getting into higher end audio....was satisfied for a while but i keep coming back wanting more. got some ms1 then upgraded to emu0404 and then got some d2000 lol that i was complacent with but i feel like i need an amp now to fully unleash the denons sound! so i just started looking and researching amps the past few days and what not. hopefully once i get an amp i wont ever come back!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back