HE90 - New batch?
Mar 1, 2006 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

OK Johansen

New Head-Fier
Does anyone know if there are any chances Sennheiser would produce another batch of HE90 if there were enough of us interested, paying in advance? I'm not hundred percent sure what the deal was last time around with Jan Meier.

BTW, how many of you would be interested?
orphsmile.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 38
you never know until you ask! they probably do still have a few left they're saving for repair fodder, but may be willing to part with for the right price, hehe.

Mar 1, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 38
I heard they still have a huge waiting list of sorts left over from the last offer so I bet they'll get priority for any new ones.

Mar 1, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 38
I'll ask them. Just need to prepare mentally for the possible price they'll quote me
biggrin.gif

Still, out of curiosity, how many at head-fi would be interested if a new batch was produced?

Mar 1, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by OK Johansen
I'll ask them. Just need to prepare mentally for the possible price they'll quote me
biggrin.gif

Still, out of curiosity, how many at head-fi would be interested if a new batch was produced?

I'd say a good 15-20 extra people would be interested based on the folks who didn't get in on the last one who mentioned that they had cash in hand to jump in as a sub.

Mar 2, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 38
I'm one of the lucky ones who got one in the latest batch HE90s, and I'm really amazed how superior the HE90 is to the other headphones that I've heard. They include the R10, K1000, HE60, etc., etc. I think that frequent and repeated inquiries regarding more HE90s should be made to Jan Meier, and also directly to Sennheiser. Our exasperation with the lack of electrostatic headphones that are equal to, or even exceed the performance of the HE90 should also be directed to other headphone producers, such as Stax, Koss, Grado, etc. It's really inconceivable that none of the engineers at these companies have the skills to design headphones that exceed the performance of the HE90, which was produced by technology which is rather ancient by this time.

Mar 2, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
I'm one of the lucky ones who got one in the latest batch HE90s, and I'm really amazed how superior the HE90 is to the other headphones that I've heard. They include the R10, K1000, HE60, etc., etc. I think that frequent and repeated inquiries regarding more HE90s should be made to Jan Meier, and also directly to Sennheiser. Our exasperation with the lack of electrostatic headphones that are equal to, or even exceed the performance of the HE90 should also be directed to other headphone producers, such as Stax, Koss, Grado, etc. It's really inconceivable that none of the engineers at these companies have the skills to design headphones that exceed the performance of the HE90, which was produced by technology which is rather ancient by this time.

Mike, I totally agree. One of the reasons I would hold off on the HE90 to be honest is that I believe given time and some R&D, a new electrostatic could eclipse the HE90 considerably for a lot less cost. That's my belief, whether that occurs is entirely different story.

Btw, I still believe headphones like the R10 are in HE90's class (I certainly feel that way about the Qualia)...maybe the HE90 is on top...maybe...

Mar 2, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

I don't think it's them not being able to produce such a product, but the prohibitive cost to R&D such product and such a small crowd that is interested in it.

For sure Stax is the closest with the Omega II's but I don't think any of the other dynamic headphone manufacturers would think that producing such an esoteric product would be much benefit. Other than to do what the Orpheus system did, which was to show the world what could be done with a cost-no-object mentality.

I think if a company was to go about it that way, then yes, a system could be produced that bested the Orpheus (hopefully). At what price? I have no idea....
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #9 of 38
I think Head-Fi is already big and strong enough to make Sennheiser market the HE90 again.
Maybe an official petition from Head-Fi would work? We would have to ask Jude's help for that.

Mar 2, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoFreire
I think Head-Fi is already big and strong enough to make Sennheiser market the HE90 again.
Maybe an official petition from Head-Fi would work? We would have to ask Jude's help for that.

Good thinking! Could we please get a comment from Jude on this?

Mar 2, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

I'm one of the lucky ones who got one in the latest batch HE90s, and I'm really amazed how superior the HE90 is to the other headphones that I've heard. They include the R10, K1000, HE60, etc., etc.

I guess i'm in the minority because I prefer the R10s over the HE90s.
tongue.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #12 of 38
Some guy in Sennheiser HAS to be sitting there thinking - "well it IS kinda ridiculous that we're known for making the best headphone out there in history, and we even lugged it out for this past audio show when we don't even make it anymore, and those crazy head-fiers snapped up the ones we offered Jan like hotcakes...and yet we still refuse to make any more. Is something wrong with us?
confused.gif
"

Mar 2, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #13 of 38
I wonder if there is any chance that the HD700 will exceed the performance of the HE90s. Yeah I know it is wishful thinking.
icon10.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #14 of 38
By continuing to keep numbers low, they perpetuate the mystique and the legend that surrounds the product. It keeps the customers on their toes and it lends the company itself an indefinable air of distinction.

I dont know whats more frustrating though, the fact that there arnt any, or the fact that if there were, I could never afford one in a million years.

Mar 2, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
I dont know whats more frustrating though, the fact that there arnt any, or the fact that if there were, I could never afford one in a million years.

Sure you could. You just wouldn't be able to buy anything else during those years.

And off-topic, you live in St. Andrews? That's where I used to live before my family came to Canada. Lovely town.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back