HE90 Burnin?
Jan 6, 2007 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

braillediver

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone have experience with new HE90’s and burnin? Is there a noticeable change over time? How long does it take to fully get into the groove? How long would you recomend using the headphones before making critical judgements?

Mitch

Jan 6, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 15
blink.gif
You mean there are some HE-90s out there that haven't been burned in yet? What a waste

Jan 6, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
blink.gif
You mean there are some HE-90s out there that haven't been burned in yet? What a waste

Sennheiser made a new batch of 25 HE90's in 2005 (I think).
Some of those buyers are still waiting for their HeadAmp Aristaeus to put their 'phones to life.

Jan 6, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 15
I suggest that you speak to Mikhail at Singlepower. He burned in my HE90's which I received new from Jan Meier last year. He has had significant listening experience with both the older and the latest bacth of HE90's.

Jan 6, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 15
“You mean there are some HE-90s out there that haven't been burned in yet?”

I’ve had the HE90’s almost a year now. I took them out of the box once and didn’t bother trying them on. No amp so the headphones are useless.

Soon though very soon.

Mitch

Jan 6, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser made a new batch of 25 HE90's in 2005 (I think).
Some of those buyers are still waiting for their HeadAmp Aristaeus to put their 'phones to life.

18, I believe.

I am in the same boat. Going to listen to it as it burns in though, no way I can resist leaving it unattended for a few hundred hours.

Jan 6, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 15
I found there to be some significant changes for the first 50 hours or so. After that they were only used from time to time when I felt bad for neglecting them so I can't have a meaningful baseline. I'm sure they continued to improve but just not enough...
rolleyes.gif

The mylar needs to loose the many small wrinkles in it so running in electrostats is a must.

Jan 6, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #9 of 15
"Going to listen to it as it burns in though"

That's an understatement to say the least. I'll probably just give up living in general and strap the HE90's on 24/7 for the first few days.

I need to order that bedpan and arrange for a morphine drip. I've got a year of listening to catch up on.

Mitch

Jan 6, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #10 of 15
The thing is... all HE90's sound slightly different. Even amongst the older HE90's... I have never heard a pair that was exactly the same in sound. I currently have two pair's of HE90's and they both sound a bit different... to the point where I slightly prefer (not sure if that is the right word) one over the other.

Neil

Jan 6, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #12 of 15
When mine had about 100 hours of use, while Gary's (guss2's) were brand new (i.e., previously unused), they sounded identical when simultaneously connected to the same amp & CDP setup. Both HE90's were from the latest batch of 25. My conclusion is that you'll hear little or no difference after additional burn-in.

Jan 6, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #13 of 15
“I can't understand how you could spend a year without using them.”

I didn’t want to spend time with them using a mediocre amp and I was originally quoted less than 2 months delivery for the amp I’m still waiting on 1 year later.

It hasn’t been easy believe me.

Mitch

Jan 6, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When mine had about 100 hours of use, while Gary's (guss2's) were brand new (i.e., previously unused), they sounded identical when simultaneously connected to the same amp & CDP setup. Both HE90's were from the latest batch of 25. My conclusion is that you'll hear little or no difference after additional burn-in.

Hmm... I've never heard the new batch. Makes me curious.

Neil

Jan 7, 2007 at 11:38 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
“I can't understand how you could spend a year without using them.”

I didn’t want to spend time with them using a mediocre amp and I was originally quoted less than 2 months delivery for the amp I’m still waiting on 1 year later.

It hasn’t been easy believe me.

Mitch

I believe you. I was thinking about buying the Aristaeus when it was introduced and I'm glad I didn't go ahead with it. It was bad enough waiting 6 months for the Blue Hawaii.

I'm not surprised that some He90's sound different. Sennheiser quality control is a joke and some stats do not age very well (Micro Seiki is the best example of that).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back