HE90: $8000 worth?
Mar 5, 2006 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 174

HugoFreire

500+ Head-Fier
So, I came across this opportunity to buy a pair of the HE90's for $8k and I'd like to know what do you guys think about it.
It's not from the 2005 batch, but it's brand new from Sennheiser.

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #2 of 174
hum, tough one...

that is significantly more than what the "newer" batch went for...

I'd say that if the finest electrostat to date is what you'd like to have, and can afford it without causing economical hardship for you or your dependants, then go for it! You live only once right?

On the other hand, that is a lot of cash for the headphones alone, are you getting the HEV90 by any chance for this price as well?

I am sure the current HE90 owners are smiling at this current price eh?
evil_smiley.gif

obrigado!

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #3 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoFreire
So, I came across this opportunity to buy a pair of the HE90's for $8k and I'd like to know what do you guys think about it.
It's not from the 2005 batch, but it's brand new from Sennheiser.

Why don;t you wait to see if one comes up on the forums? You may get lucky.

Also I read in a post that the older batch sound slightly different to the newer ones.

Whether this is due to manufacturing process or the age of the older batch or a design thing remains to be tested and heard conclusively.

You do realise that the 2005 batch were sold for $5k for non EU countries and $6k for EU countries so why on earth would you pay $8k? Unless of course you must have it any cost.
confused.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #4 of 174
LOL.
Hugo, you don't have received your Baby O. yet and your are already contemplating to shell out 8K for the big brother?
Personally I would wait for a better deal.
OTOH considering the rareness that might never happen and life is so short.

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #5 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by CD44hi
I'd say that if the finest electrostat to date is what you'd like to have, and can afford it without causing economical hardship for you or your dependants

Hmm... actually, it would hurt a lot... for both me and my little wallet
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
You do realise that the 2005 batch were sold for $5k for non EU countries and $6k for EU countries so why on earth would you pay $8k?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
LOL.
Hugo, you don't have received your Baby O. yet and your are already contemplating to shell out 8K for the big brother?
Personally I would wait for a better deal.

Yeah, you guys are right... I never thought I would find a brand new pair directly from Sennheiser, and I was hilariously happy when I did. I guess it was an impulsive (and temporary) I-want-these-any-cost feeling.

Thanks for the feedback!
Anyway, keep voting! It would be nice to know everyone's opinions
580smile.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #6 of 174
I was in a similar situation as you...how much to pay? Unfortunately, my limit was about what the new batch charged.
So, I kept waiting and looking around the forums here. Seems like people here are very very generous in that, if (BIG IF) they're willing to sell their HE90, they're not looking for any profit, just to cover their cost of buying them. Problem is finding someone willing to let them go.

Anyways, I was lucky and suggest you keep looking in the forums. Post a wanted message and see what happens.

Good luck!

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #7 of 174
Quote:

On the other hand, that is a lot of cash for the headphones alone, are you getting the HEV90 by any chance for this price as well?

No, I'm getting either the Aristaeus or the ES-1 for my Baby O's... Which will be waiting for his daddy
tongue.gif

Quote:

obrigado!

De nada!
icon10.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #8 of 174
Just curious... Do you guys know how many pairs of the newer version HE90's are there?

Mar 5, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #9 of 174
It's a toughie. I wouldn't pay the 6K for a used HE-90 that is common and I wouldn't pay the 8K for this new one either. Lucky I happened to show up and be one of the "Lucky 18."
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #10 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
It's a toughie. I wouldn't pay the 6K for a used HE-90 that is common and I wouldn't pay the 8K for this new one either. Lucky I happened to show up and be one of the "Lucky 18."
biggrin.gif

I thought it was the "Lucky 36"?

Eight is mighty steep, but how many brand new pairs are out there- unspoken for?
tongue.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #11 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
I thought it was the "Lucky 36"?

Might have been, I'm tired and burnt from too much technical reading... It is interesting though that if I were offered 8K for mine, I wouldn't sell them. Maybe in the future but not right at the moment.

Mar 5, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #13 of 174
8K just for the headphone? That is a demon price. For me, I wont even think about it.

Mar 5, 2006 at 7:13 AM Post #14 of 174
It's difficult to say what they are worth. Preference wise for me I put them a shade above the Omega 2's, a shade above the Qualia's and a shade above the R-10;s but they are that shade above.

Are they worth 5k-6k or the 8k senny is willing to sell them to hugofriere? No I think they are overpriced for what they are. Good as they, they are more differnt rather than better. Some things the R-10 does better, Somethings the Omega2's and qualia do better.

I think the R-10's and he90's are overpriced for what they are. But people will pay what it takes to own a set.

To be honest I think I miss the point of high end headphones and I am happy enough with headphones more affordable to the average headfier. Most sub 1k phones I enjoy just as much.

But I do think people should hear the he90 for themselves to see what the fuss is about and determine if it is for them. Now even if it sold for $100 even then it still might not be for some. So even then it still not the "best".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back