HE9 + R2R 7HE group buy
Sep 10, 2018 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

smodtactical

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey thinking of getting the HE stack as above. If we order more units we can get a discount according to Kingwa. If interested in this stack please PM me.

Thanks.

Sep 10, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 69
Not sure, if your in just for HE9 I can ask Kingwa, can you just PM me.

Thanks.

Sep 13, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 69
Bump... still need a couple buyers.

This is like a mini mass drop! You know you want the HE stack!

Sep 13, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #5 of 69
If you are interested in just the Amp or Dac alone PM me, will try to arrange for this with Kingwa!

Sep 13, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #7 of 69
Let's make this happen :)

Oh ya! We got 4 buyers now potentially 5. Please PM me soon as you can so I can message Kingwa. I will probably message him in a few days.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #8 of 69
Comment from @Jackula
Regarding HE9

"Fradoca, I've been thinking about getting a HE-9 for a long time. Read your review and posts, auditioned a bunch of amps and finally decided to get the HE-9. I lurk Head-Fi a lot, but hardly ever post anything, but just thought I log on to give you a big thanks!

Pairing it with my HD650 and I've never heard it sound so good. Compared to the Rag, 430HA, ifi iCan Pro, v281 and the HE-9 is my favorite, by a significant margin! And it was a faith purchase :)"

Sep 15, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #9 of 69
Comment from @Jackula
Regarding HE9

"Fradoca, I've been thinking about getting a HE-9 for a long time. Read your review and posts, auditioned a bunch of amps and finally decided to get the HE-9. I lurk Head-Fi a lot, but hardly ever post anything, but just thought I log on to give you a big thanks!

Pairing it with my HD650 and I've never heard it sound so good. Compared to the Rag, 430HA, ifi iCan Pro, v281 and the HE-9 is my favorite, by a significant margin! And it was a faith purchase :)"
Quite some pedigree there :)

Sep 15, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #10 of 69
I see you quoted me in your group buy thread, I still maintain the same opinion. When I purchased the HE-9, it was on faith - the trial period meant I could return it if I didn't like it, but I loved it!

The closest I could describe HE9's sound is it's like a more natural sounding Moon 430HA. The 430HA was what I had originally shortlisted, mainly because it's Tyll's reference amp, I respect the guy a lot and we shared the same opinion on a lot of gear. But Tyll has never listened to a HE9 and I have and it's simply a better amp.

When I was auditioning amps, I listened to my HD650 side-by-side against a Focal Utopia on the 430HA (using my Schiit Yggy because it's easier to carry) and the Utopia was better. Now on my home setup with the HD650, I have zero cravings for the Utopia. The Utopia is obviously a better headphone, but the HE-9 helps to close the gap. It's that good!

Cheers

Sep 15, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #11 of 69
I see you quoted me in your group buy thread, I still maintain the same opinion. When I purchased the HE-9, it was on faith - the trial period meant I could return it if I didn't like it, but I loved it!

The closest I could describe HE9's sound is it's like a more natural sounding Moon 430HA. The 430HA was what I had originally shortlisted, mainly because it's Tyll's reference amp, I respect the guy a lot and we shared the same opinion on a lot of gear. But Tyll has never listened to a HE9 and I have and it's simply a better amp.

When I was auditioning amps, I listened to my HD650 side-by-side against a Focal Utopia on the 430HA (using my Schiit Yggy because it's easier to carry) and the Utopia was better. Now on my home setup with the HD650, I have zero cravings for the Utopia. The Utopia is obviously a better headphone, but the HE-9 helps to close the gap. It's that good!

Cheers

Wow. Really impressive. Do you find it lacks musicality like @grizzlybeast mentioned in his review on earphiles ?

You know whats weird Jack? I A-Bed my Burson Conductor SL9018 against the Moon 430 HAD for like 2-3 hours, running balanced out of 430 HAD and SE out of my burson. My findings? Burson got me 95% of the sound of the 430 HAD. This was with an Audioquest cable though. Fast forward to now when I got the HDV820 and I compared it to my burson... massively better... like 20% better than my burson. A clear night and day difference. I wonder why this is.

Only thing was when i did the moon neo audition it was in the store which was quiet but it was using my laptop with flacs as a source. At home I compared on my big desktop. But I don't know, it was weird.

Sep 15, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #12 of 69
Do you find it lacks musicality like @grizzlybeast mentioned in his review on earphiles ?

Musicality in terms of not adding anything to the music? Yeah, but it doesn't subtract anything either. The HE-9 is the single most transparent headphone amp in existence, it's completely spotless - like the glass screen of a new phone the instant you remove the protector film. It shifts the focus of music reproduction to your DAC, which IMO - as it's meant to be.

I believe grizzly eventually went back to tube amps, and that's fine. I actually grew up from tube amps myself, but I've changed directions towards purity and realism instead of a colored and euphonic sound.

While I do seem to have endless praises for the HE-9, it does have its faults though. My gripes with it are mainly in its design and function, not with its sound. The amp itself is huge, I should've measured my equipment rack beforehand because it barely even fits on the top shelf. The ventilation holes are on top which dust can fall into, which I have to cover when my amp isn't in use. And I don't like how the remote control is silver, I made sure everything is black in my listening room - black equipment, black furniture, black teapot, the only thing that sticks out is this friggin Audio-GD silver remote!

Sep 16, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #13 of 69
Musicality in terms of not adding anything to the music? Yeah, but it doesn't subtract anything either. The HE-9 is the single most transparent headphone amp in existence, it's completely spotless - like the glass screen of a new phone the instant you remove the protector film. It shifts the focus of music reproduction to your DAC, which IMO - as it's meant to be.

I believe grizzly eventually went back to tube amps, and that's fine. I actually grew up from tube amps myself, but I've changed directions towards purity and realism instead of a colored and euphonic sound.

While I do seem to have endless praises for the HE-9, it does have its faults though. My gripes with it are mainly in its design and function, not with its sound. The amp itself is huge, I should've measured my equipment rack beforehand because it barely even fits on the top shelf. The ventilation holes are on top which dust can fall into, which I have to cover when my amp isn't in use. And I don't like how the remote control is silver, I made sure everything is black in my listening room - black equipment, black furniture, black teapot, the only thing that sticks out is this friggin Audio-GD silver remote!

I've been thinking of which DAC to pair with the HE9... the PS Directstream or the Terminator. I am leaning towards the directstream since it has a warmer sound that may pair better and I got north american support. Should add some colour to my chain. I'm sure the terminator would be awesome too.

Sep 16, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #14 of 69
I've been thinking of which DAC to pair with the HE9... the PS Directstream or the Terminator. I am leaning towards the directstream since it has a warmer sound that may pair better and I got north american support. Should add some colour to my chain. I'm sure the terminator would be awesome too.

I wouldn't buy a PS audio DAC for sound signature as its changed a few times over firmware updates. If i were to buy my system all over again I would probably go denafrips.

never heard either though so don't count me. Every one who tries Audio-gd's high end stuff become members of the cult, glad to see so many jumping in. I love my NOS11 and hope to buy a matching master-3 power amp this fall if US/China relations still allow...

Sep 16, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #15 of 69
I wouldn't buy a PS audio DAC for sound signature as its changed a few times over firmware updates. If i were to buy my system all over again I would probably go denafrips.

never heard either though so don't count me. Every one who tries Audio-gd's high end stuff become members of the cult, glad to see so many jumping in. I love my NOS11 and hope to buy a matching master-3 power amp this fall if US/China relations still allow...

Good point. I th ink I am still going PS because apparently the latest firmware sounds incredible and the Terminator can never be firmware upgraded. Plus im getting a great deal on a new PS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back