HE9 + R2R 7HE group buy
Sep 26, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #46 of 69
I completely disagree. This is like putting 87 octane in a high end car at the gas station. It's gonna run like crap.

If your gonna go cheap go withat least the upper echelon Monoprice XLRs that have a bigger gauge copper wire etc.

You can also save big on XLR interconnects by getting 2 digital AES cables which work great as analog interconnects. I bought Mogamis and have them connected to my Focal SM9s in my studio and they work great. For less than 200 bucks.

Just that IMO, buying high end gear and going cheap on the interconnects you are doing yourself a disservice. I would never use a 5 dollar cable on gear that costs 4 or 5 figures.

Just my 2 cents.

Sep 26, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #47 of 69
I completely disagree. This is like putting 87 octane in a high end car at the gas station. It's gonna run like crap.

If your gonna go cheap go withat least the upper echelon Monoprice XLRs that have a bigger gauge copper wire etc.

You can also save big on XLR interconnects by getting 2 digital AES cables which work great as analog interconnects. I bought Mogamis and have them connected to my Focal SM9s in my studio and they work great. For less than 200 bucks.

Just that IMO, buying high end gear and going cheap on the interconnects you are doing yourself a disservice. I would never use a 5 dollar cable on gear that costs 4 or 5 figures.

Just my 2 cents.

This is k ind of how I feel and I don't want to risk not liking the sounding then being in a position of wondering whether the interconnects are the weak link.

I also want to get cables today, amazon won't deliver for 2 days even with prime.

I considered monoprice XLR stage cables but again wouldn't get it for 2 days. Theres a high end audio store near my work and I'm going to try to sneak out at the middle of the day and hit up the store. They have Kimber, AQ and 'transparent' brand xlr cables.

AES I'll read about now.

Sep 26, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #48 of 69
Although it is early days how does the HE9 n Terminator combo sound

It varies from track to track. Some tracks you can clearly hear the increased soundstage, air.. some more detail especially with the decays and reverb of the sounds. Well mastered tracks feel more layered and holographic.

Other tracks though the difference is much less and on those tracks I feel some disappointment.

Keep in mind the HDV I think has 500+ hours of burn in and I'm also using all usb cables for this comparison. I think I2S on the terminator would be better.

Sep 26, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #49 of 69
Seems normal. Well mastered tracks you would hear more difference. No need to be disappointed imo. Mind you I always keep my expectations tamed and let my opinions flow over time. Then expect the world from the get go. Give it some time.

Sep 27, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #51 of 69
It varies from track to track. Some tracks you can clearly hear the increased soundstage, air.. some more detail especially with the decays and reverb of the sounds. Well mastered tracks feel more layered and holographic.

Other tracks though the difference is much less and on those tracks I feel some disappointment.

Keep in mind the HDV I think has 500+ hours of burn in and I'm also using all usb cables for this comparison. I think I2S on the terminator would be better.

Wow I just listened to this track

Was blown away by how nice the stack sounds. It really showed what it can do. Easily 20-25% better than HDV. I think now im hitting a limit with the quality of the mastering I am feeding the stack.

Sep 27, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #52 of 69
Have you tried Terminator with HDV820. HE9 might need more burn in. What XLR cables are you using.

Not yet but I will. Just want to run the stack more and get used to to the sound.

Using Kimber Heroes.

Sep 27, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #53 of 69
Stack smashing HDV again with Vivaldi concerto no. 1 in E major op. 8 .... this might even be 30% better. Its night and day... I keep turning the HDV up to try to match the dynamism and detail of the CF stack... the CF stack detail and nuance is simply superb

Sep 27, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #54 of 69
Stack smashing HDV again with Vivaldi concerto no. 1 in E major op. 8 .... this might even be 30% better. Its night and day... I keep turning the HDV up to try to match the dynamism and detail of the CF stack... the CF stack detail and nuance is simply superb

Glad to hear it is turning out to be so good especially against a top amp HDV820. I cant wait to get back to try the stack as well

Sep 27, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #55 of 69
Glad to hear it is turning out to be so good especially against a top amp HDV820. I cant wait to get back to try the stack as well

I remain hugely impressed with the HDV 820. For a small all in one unit it to put up such a huge fight against a flagship stack is no easy feat.

Sep 27, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #57 of 69
Sep 27, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #58 of 69
Wow I just listened to this track

Was blown away by how nice the stack sounds. It really showed what it can do. Easily 20-25% better than HDV. I think now im hitting a limit with the quality of the mastering I am feeding the stack.

Wow what a beautiful song the bass it has and clarity of all instruments going at same time is amazing. I felt the bass to wave like solar fields hehe. very nice one, thanks I will add this song to my morning playlist haha. Its so joyfull a true bliss.

I am very happy for your impressive and grand big new investment in new gear. Music has no limits you heard hdv and went nuts by the quality now your desires have grown so much exponentially you cant stop haha you need to fill a new gap and new emotions are on the horizon music is wonderful.
What surprises me the most is we always change gear for a better sound quality but THE MUSIC DONT CHANGE its the same track hahaha.

Sep 27, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #59 of 69

Have you guys paid attention to what written on cable in fourth picture! LOL

Professional low noise microphone cable WHAAt haha. you got wrong cable bro this is fro microphones hehe.

Sep 27, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #60 of 69
I remain hugely impressed with the HDV 820. For a small all in one unit it to put up such a huge fight against a flagship stack is no easy feat.

I dont recommend using low quality dongle always go straight connections, also if you play your music from a dap coaxial out to hdv820 you will have a 10% more sound quality ! I heard it with my own ears. To have the best out of hdv also use only balanced xlr 3 pin in and out! Hdv unbalanced sucks big time not worth it. Huge improvement when back to balanced!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back