HE9 + R2R 7HE group buy
Sep 16, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #16 of 69
btw last call on the deal! We are all going for HE9s heh

Sep 16, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #17 of 69
master-3 power amp this fall if US/China relations still allow

If you're concerned about tariffs, you can ask Kingwa to reduce the stated export value.

As for DS vs Terminator. The DS sounds very good for DSD, not so good for PCM since it gets upsampled internally. Never listened to the Terminator, although next month I am travelling to Atlanta for business and if I have time will drop by Mike Powell for an audition. The Terminator will never have MQA though, based on my understanding of the technology it should sound great.

Sep 16, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #18 of 69
I heard the terminator is not mine blowing on headphones. Perhaps it is a better performer with two channel. This is from someone who thoroughly tested many high-end docs and has burned in the terminator for 300 hours.

Sep 16, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #19 of 69
If you're concerned about tariffs, you can ask Kingwa to reduce the stated export value.

As for DS vs Terminator. The DS sounds very good for DSD, not so good for PCM since it gets upsampled internally. Never listened to the Terminator, although next month I am travelling to Atlanta for business and if I have time will drop by Mike Powell for an audition. The Terminator will never have MQA though, based on my understanding of the technology it should sound great.

Sorry if I already asked this but did you listen to the direct stream with the latest red cloud firmware?

Assuming I can get a direct stream new for about 40% off would you go for that, terminator or Yggdrasil?

Term and yggy would both end up being more expensive. Which dac you running now ?

Sep 16, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #20 of 69
Sorry if I already asked this but did you listen to the direct stream with the latest red cloud firmware?

Assuming I can get a direct stream new for about 40% off would you go for that, terminator or Yggdrasil?

Term and yggy would both end up being more expensive. Which dac you running now ?

Nope, I listened to one very early on, so my impressions are out of date. I can't imagine the sound quality going backwards.

Yeah if it was 40% off I'd go for the DirectStream DAC for sure, for PCM it is almost as good as my heavily customized / modded DAC, the DirectStream really was designed for DSD in mind. I've only listened to a gen 1 Yggy, I like how it renders the soundstage but the quality of timbre cannot compete with my DAC nor the DirectStream, both make the Yggy sound digital in good recordings.

Sep 16, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #21 of 69
Currawong said this a while back:
Someone asked me about the M9/HE9, so I suggested if purchasing, ask for the following things:

1. 3x 4-pin XLR headphone sockets instead of 1x 4-pin XLR and 2x 3-pin XLR. Maybe in the future there will be suitable Pentaconn 4.4mm jacks too, but dual-3-pin XLR sockets is long gone as a standard.
2. Ask for the Muses DC offset opamps. This might now be standard, but it's worth checking. It seems to improve the sound a tiny bit.
3. Switching inputs has a 3-second delay before they engage. If this is not desired, ask for the inputs to switch faster, or instantly.
4. If you're using a Schiit DAC, ask them to remove the input shorting jumpers in advance. This will help if you're like me and connect your DAC to multiple amps, as shorting the inputs on one amp will affect the output of the DAC to another.

I asked Kingwa about 2-4 and he said the four opamps (used only for the DC offset) cost $60 extra, which I accepted. He's also removing the input switching delay for me, and making sure the HE9 doesn't short the inputs.

Sep 16, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #22 of 69
Currawong said this a while back:

I asked Kingwa about 2-4 and he said the four opamps (used only for the DC offset) cost $60 extra, which I accepted. He's also removing the input switching delay for me, and making sure the HE9 doesn't short the inputs.

Thanks for reminding me man, I am going to ask for this too.

I don't know which DAC to get, directstream, terminator or R2R7 HE :frowning2:

Sep 16, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #23 of 69
Nope, I listened to one very early on, so my impressions are out of date. I can't imagine the sound quality going backwards.

Yeah if it was 40% off I'd go for the DirectStream DAC for sure, for PCM it is almost as good as my heavily customized / modded DAC, the DirectStream really was designed for DSD in mind. I've only listened to a gen 1 Yggy, I like how it renders the soundstage but the quality of timbre cannot compete with my DAC nor the DirectStream, both make the Yggy sound digital in good recordings.

Which DAC are you running again.

Hey have you heard any other headphones out of your rig besides HD650 ?

Sep 16, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #24 of 69
I don't think you can call it any name anymore, but it's based on a Lampi DAC4. The direct replacement for this model currently costs about 2000 euros + shipping from Poland, and tubes I use in them will set you back another $2k USD.

I haven't heard any other headphones other than my HD650 (which has been my all time favorite headphone) on this amp. I do know the HE-9 works best with a planar and the current drive of this amp adds a touch warmth to my otherwise neutral headphone. I do want to find a good planar to replace my HD650, am interested in the HE-1000, I haven't listened to one but reviews indicate it would be the type of sound I enjoy.

Sep 19, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #26 of 69
Good point. I th ink I am still going PS because apparently the latest firmware sounds incredible and the Terminator can never be firmware upgraded. Plus im getting a great deal on a new PS.

I can attest to the latest DirectStream firmware being the best yet by a wide margin. I sold my first DS a while ago and missed it so much even tho I have the Bricasti which is incredible in its own right I rebought the DS.

The DS is really a Super DAC. It's also a preamp and network streamer all in one. Combined with the build quality and upgradable firmware it's a no brainer. Just an amazing product.

It sounds best on the I2S input or via DLNA.

Sep 19, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #27 of 69
I can attest to the latest DirectStream firmware being the best yet by a wide margin. I sold my first DS a while ago and missed it so much even tho I have the Bricasti which is incredible in its own right I rebought the DS.

The DS is really a Super DAC. It's also a preamp and network streamer all in one. Combined with the build quality and upgradable firmware it's a no brainer. Just an amazing product.

It sounds best on the I2S input or via DLNA.

Damn I ordered terminator and now maybe I made the wrong decision! :\

Sep 19, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #28 of 69
Don't have buyers remorse by all accounts the Terminator is a fantastic DAC. But being R2R it's a different animal. In a good way. I've never heard it, only have experience with R2R hearing and owning 2 vintage Scott Dixon Anadyne DACs and a Schiit Yggy. My DACs have always been FPGA based and/or Sigmas. And one Sabre based one that was harsh and edgy.

I just think that the feature set of the DS it really has no equal below 10 grand IMHO. Considering all it does. If that's important to you. When I only had the M1 SE, I badly missed the streaming option.

No filters to play with, just pure DSD-esque sound on everything you play through it. After all that's what it does.

The Bricasti M12 with the network option is double the price of the DS plus a tiny bit extra. Has the same feature set more or less. But it's way more than the DS can be had for.

Past a certain price range there really is no better, it just gets down to personal preference in my experience.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #29 of 69
Don't have buyers remorse by all accounts the Terminator is a fantastic DAC. But being R2R it's a different animal. In a good way. I've never heard it, only have experience with R2R hearing and owning 2 vintage Scott Dixon Anadyne DACs and a Schiit Yggy. My DACs have always been FPGA based and/or Sigmas. And one Sabre based one that was harsh and edgy.

I just think that the feature set of the DS it really has no equal below 10 grand IMHO. Considering all it does. If that's important to you. When I only had the M1 SE, I badly missed the streaming option.

No filters to play with, just pure DSD-esque sound on everything you play through it. After all that's what it does.

The Bricasti M12 with the network option is double the price of the DS plus a tiny bit extra. Has the same feature set more or less. But it's way more than the DS can be had for.

Past a certain price range there really is no better, it just gets down to personal preference in my experience.

I can get a new PS DS for $3945 USD :O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back