HE60 with rock and metal?
Apr 25, 2009 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Henmyr

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm considering getting a Sennheiser HE60 with HEV70. To afford this, I would unfortunately have to get rid of all my other headphones. I listen to a lot of genres, but about 75% is rock and metal.

So, is it worth it to get the HE60 instead of RS1 and AD2000 for rock and metal?

EDIT: There isn't really anything in particular I'm missing with RS1/AD2000 and rock/metal, I'm just curious to try something else.

Apr 25, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 14
If you like bass slam or just a generous bass presence then the He60 is just about the worst headphone for the job. They have a lot of extension but there isn't much bass output to speak of. That HEV70 amp is one of the worst ever made for electrostatic headphones so that isn't helping matters but upgrading that won't fix all their problems. Even with some small mods (making sure the baffle is airtight and replacing the crap screws Senn used) and fed by a monster amp like the Blue Hawaii they have plenty of extension but the bass output is still limited.

Now if you value clarity, speed etc. more then ultimate bass output they could be a good match for you.

Apr 25, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 14
Metal and HE-60 don't belong in the same sentence unless is says something like "The HE-60 does not do metal well". There are some nice benefits to be had from the HE-60 but that genre depends on the HE-60's weaknesses for it's mojo.

Apr 25, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 14
Stay a way from all HE-60 if you like metal. The only stats that I think can work nicely with metal and other aggressive fast music are SR-007 and ESP-950.

SR-404 and SR-Sigma are not that bad as well, but in no way ideal for rock and especially metal.

In my opinion the best headphones for metal are orthodynamics with large diaphragms such as Fostex T30, Yamaha YH-100 and YH-1. I guess Fostex T50 would work fines as well but I never heard one.

Apr 25, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my opinion the best headphones for metal are orthodynamics with large diaphragms such as Fostex T30, Yamaha YH-100 and YH-1. I guess Fostex T50 would work fines as well but I never heard one.

Better than Grados, eh?
I've always been somewhat interested in those custom ortho jobs, and I listen to metal almost exclusively, as well.

I haven't heard much in the way of Stax, but I did NOT care for metal from ES-1 -> SR-007...

Anyone else have success with non-dynamic headphone technology and metal?

Apr 25, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 14
Koss ESP950 sound great with metal and can put out an impressive amount of bass when powered by something better than the Koss E90. The overall sound is brighter and more agressive than SR-007, so you might prefer the ESP950 if you found the Stax too "gentle" or something like that. I prefer the O2 personally, I think its spacial representation of sound is better, but they are both excellent headphones and I could live with either of them.

Better than Grado? Of course, isn't that the case for every decent electrostatic headphones...
tongue.gif

Apr 25, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: There isn't really anything in particular I'm missing with RS1/AD2000 and rock/metal, I'm just curious to try something else.

If I were you, I'd keep the RS1 and upgrade your source and amp.

I actually enjoy lots of rock and even some heavy metal with my HE60 with lots of tube power behind it, but it's my main diet of acoustic music, classical, jazz, chamber, vocals that *requires* HE60.

Apr 25, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 14
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. One twist to the story is that I think they're quite the bargain, I think at least (~$1000 for HE60+HEV70), which makes it sooo much harder.

Apr 25, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #9 of 14
The ESP-950's are $1000 and they come with an amp (albeit not a great amp).

Apr 25, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. One twist to the story is that I think they're quite the bargain, I think at least (~$1000 for HE60+HEV70), which makes it sooo much harder.

At that price, they are probably worth the risk.

I like the HE60 a lot. I could live with it as an only headphone, although it wouldn't be my first choice for such a scenario.

At $1000. Try it, if you like it, awesome, if you don't, you'll get your postage costs back plus a bit more if you sell it. Going rate is certianly over $1000. I really hope that you like them if you do try them though.

Apr 25, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ESP-950's are $1000 and they come with an amp (albeit not a great amp).

That's MSRP, they go for much less on eBay and on some online stores. I think I paid 525$ for mine.

Quote:

I wouldn't hesitate at this price, you'll be able to sell them very easily as long as they're in good condition.

Apr 26, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #13 of 14
I guess im alone but i think the HE60 has a very decent tight bass with good extension, just lacks on the impact.

Im not a big fan of closed headphones though nor have i bought myself an Omega so i havent been influenced by, what people often classify as, bass heavy phones yet.

However i still dont exactly think of it as a rock headphone. In addition to good bass i'd personally want a nice bass impact.

Apr 26, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #14 of 14
^ You're not alone.

I don't listen to the harder types of rock much, but for the softer types (Heart, Cher in her rock chick era, etc.) the HE60 is fabulous if you ask me, with its forward presentation and beautiful midrange. Not all rock needs huge bass in my opinion. If you feel it does, than you may be disappointed.

As others have said: do it! It's only $1000. Just check whether the set is in good health. In my experience, the HE60 is not exactly the most reliable headphone out there... That's the only downside to it. If it wasn't for that, it would be my perfect headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back