HE5LE+KICAS
Jul 21, 2010 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Roth_s

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone own/experience HE-5 LE with KICAS solid state amp?

Question: How well does the KICAS drive the HE-5 LE?

Current system: Oppo BDP-80 (SACD's, DVD-A's)>KICAS>K701 or Superlux HD-668B (mod'd)

My current phones: K701, D5000, mod'd Superlux HD-668B (used the most), D1001, Porta Pro, Denon AH-C751
Owned: ATH-AD2000, Koss ESP/950, HD600

Genres? Pretty much everything; good recordings or bad - it's all about the music.

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 8
I have had the HE-5LEs as well as the KICAS together (non-caliente).
From my personal experience, after trying to pair up my HE-5LE to the Woo WA5LE as well as the Woo 22, as well as the RSA Protector, the KICAS does a sufficient/average job with them. Ofcourse, you can expect sound from them, but I had to dial the knob up to at least 12 o' clock if I remember correctly to get decent volume. 

I would put it this way, there are many better amps out there that do a much better job, the the KICAS is not completely lacking. However, it does not draw out the potentials of HE-5LE, imo, compared to the WA5LE (which is the best one I heard with these). The WA5LE really made the HE-5LE sing and shine. The sound dosn't seem as full and rich with the KICAS, and not as textured is what I would describe.I'm really not great with descriptions, or reviews, but bottom line, I think there are better amps out there for these.

Cheers

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
However, it does not draw out the potentials of HE-5LE, imo, compared to the WA5LE

of course not.

KICAS = $349
WA5LE = $2500

wink.gif

Jul 21, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 8
For now, I'm quite happy with the Purity Audio K.I.C.A.S. - I'm in no position to upgrade amps.

gknix - I take that answer as affirmative the KICAS does a respectable job. Thanks for your feedback.

Are any HE-5 LE users running out of juice with the KICAS?

Jul 22, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks alphaphoenix, it appears the Shiit amp deserves a closer look - I have bookmarked the manufacturer's (hilarious) site for future reference.

So far I have feedback from two people that have experience with HE-5 LE and KICAS combination...both indicating the KICAS is fully up to the task.

I'd like more feedback from others...(meanwhile I scour the rest of Head-Fi for clues)

(BTW, I have contacted the ever-helpful Oriel Mendelovitz of Purity Audio and he directed me here for feedback.)

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #8 of 8
It's not definitive but here's the best summary from feedback so far:

• The KICAS can do a wonderful job (relative to price) driving the HE-5 LE but some have found the volume control setting to approach 3:00 position. Of course, I can only assume the standard source voltage of 2 p-p. (CDP's, Multi-format players, SACD players, etc.)
  • The Caliente version of the KICAS is unacceptably stressed and to look further for an appropriate amp.

Thanks to those that have chimed in!

I haven't posted much here but I can say this is the friendliest, most helpful site for audio...a lot of very good people that will go out of their way to assist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back