He500 microphonics
Jun 4, 2013 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Blaalad12

100+ Head-Fier
I have read the cable on the he500 causes alot of 'noise' which sounds like it could be quiet bothersome, any tips or advice on how to minimize this or fix this all together?

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 32
Fix it all together: get a new cable

To minimize: I recommend coiling the the extra length and use only how much you need

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #4 of 32
Jun 4, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 32
Toxic Cables OCC Silver. Much more flexible, doesn't kink or tangle and (most importantly) sounds significantly more detailed and open.

Jun 6, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #6 of 32
Really depends how you use your headphones.
I either sit at my computer or in a reclining chair - in both places I don't move my head around, so I never hear the cable rattling.

In my case, getting a new cable is a complete waste of money.

Jun 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:
Really depends how you use your headphones.
I either sit at my computer or in a reclining chair - in both places I don't move my head around, so I never hear the cable rattling.

In my case, getting a new cable is a complete waste of money.

Ye likewise i will only be sitting back in a chair so wont be moving about but the cable will still rub off my clothes from time to time, ill see how bad the issue is when they arrive and i test them and if i cant deal with it i will then buy an aftermarket cable but def wouldnt spend much on one like some guys here

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:
ill see how bad the issue is when they arrive and i test them and if i cant deal with it i will then buy an aftermarket cable but def wouldnt spend much on one like some guys here

Yes, you'll never know until you try it. 

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #9 of 32
Are the micro phonic issue that bad?

Jun 7, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #10 of 32
I love my HE-500 headphones but I hated the microphonics caused by the stock cable.  I sit at my computer desk and listen to music.  I'm not jumping around but whenever the cables above the split would rub against themselves or my shirt, it would cause noise to travel up the cable.  It drove me nuts.  It got so bad that I dropped ~$60 on a replacement cable made of a more rubber like material.  I don't notice a difference in sound quality, but there are no more microphonics.  I am very pleased with the end result (although not impressed with Hifiman's stock cable for the price of these headphones).

Jun 7, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:
Are the micro phonic issue that bad?

Noisiest cable (from movements) I've ever heard.

My 2nd place noisiest cable award goes to my vintage Yamaha HP3.

Jun 7, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #12 of 32
I'm surprise as the only cables I heard that are noise are from my previous experience with in ear phones. Surprise hifiman are okay with this. I guess this is to cut cost.

Jun 22, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #13 of 32
Yes, mine got microphonics issue as well with the stock white silver cable, I read in the forum that the solution was to get another cable with sleeve / shielded.

can anyone please clarify if I'm wrong or correct

Jun 22, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:
Yes, mine got microphonics issue as well with the stock white silver cable, I read in the forum that the solution was to get another cable with sleeve / shielded.

can anyone please clarify if I'm wrong or correct

That's is how you solve the problem permanently. 

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #15 of 32
That's is how you solve the problem permanently. 

Thanks man, so the cable materials used is not making any difference I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back